Torquay United Top 100 Matches

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

gateman49 wrote:
Yes, Don Mills was an artist on the ball and one big regret is that I wasn't allowed to go to his testimonial match which was an evening k.o.!
A 2-2 draw with Swindon Town. It was meant to be a combined Argyle / Swindon XI but Argyle pulled their players out at the last minute. The great Don scored the opening goal very early on in the game.

Added in 16 minutes 20 seconds:
wivelgull wrote: However, older codgers than me in the pop. side stand always argue that Don Mills was the best-ever United player, even ahead of Robin.
I would agree with the older codgers although I also regret not having seen him play for Torquay in competitive games, although I did get to his testimonial game in 1963.

I did vote for both the Leeds game (which was when I was 3) and the Palace game (when I was 7) as I just could not see how either game could not be in a 'top 100'.

I was fortunate in my Plainmoor years as an amateur to have Don Mills as my youth and reserve team coach, and I also played alongside him many times for Newton Abbot Spurs. Although a midfielder, in later years when turning out for Spurs he would play in the back four, so as a full back myself (right or left - fully interchangeable!) he not only 'coached' as the game progressed but also seemed to make the game easy for the players around him. Incredible skill, even then in his mid-forties.

The last time I was on the same pitch as him was a friendly game at Christmas in 1981, when we were on opposing sides. Don would then have been about 56, but was still turning people inside out with his deft feints, a trademark of his game.

I am not sure if we can compare Don Mills and Robin Stubbs. Different types of player and different positions. What is without doubt though is that they are both genuine legends of the club and we have not seen their like since.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

I agree. I think that, in the end, only Mills and Stubbs have reached the true heights of greatness as TUFC players. Now, if there was a vote for a statue to be placed at the entrance to the ground somewhere, and that choice was between Mills and Stubbs, what would the result be, I wonder?
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

stefano wrote:
TORQUAY: Alf Jefferies, Jack V Smith (called John by his team mates to avoid confusion - see later in the team sheet!), Harry Smith, Dennis Lewis, Henry McGuinness, Griff Norman, Ron Shaw, Sam Collins, Harold Dobbie, Don Mills, Jack T Smith.

SCORERS: Collins, Dunn (og), Shaw, Mills.

It's funny to think of F.A. Cup replays now being played on Wednesday afternoons, but few lower league clubs had floodlights and so that was the norm. January 1955 was a terrible time in Torquay. A sickness bug swept through the schools on Jan 12th and, sadly, so many grannies funerals took place on that Wednesday afternoon. :whistle: Needless to say, teachers knew exactly what was going on and turned a blind eye (I suspect most of them would have liked to have been there themselves). Very unusually, I do have to correct Stefano on one point, though. It was player-manager Eric Webber who played at Centre Half - not Henry McGuinness. One thing from that match I remember is Eric Webber, the then player-manager, completely dominating the great John Charles. If I had pulled my finger out, this match would definitely been on my list.

Oh, that 1 - 1 draw at Crystal Palace ! :'( I remember being in the Grandstand watching a reserve match and waiting for the final result to come through (this was light years before Final Score, teletext, mobile phones etc). Then the disappointment when the result was announced and we had lost out to promotion to the second tier of English football on goal difference to Ipswich. Don Mills was a vital member of that team and he played, but it was rumoured that he wasn't fully fit (this was long before the introduction of substitutes).

As Stefano has said, you can't make a comparison between Mills and Robin Stubbs because they were different types of players. But they are definitely up there amongst the best players to have ever played for the club.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

35th: Torquay United 3 - 0 Chester City - 1974/75

10 points, 1 vote

Division 4
31st March 1975
Plainmoor
Attendance: 3713

This match is the only match to receive 10 points from one vote. Again, it is another that is a long while ahead of my time. Looking at the results prior to this game, we were not up to much in terms of league position (I assume!). I can't remember who voted for this one but it finished top of their list so they must have thoroughly enjoyed it!
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

Ah, that Stockport match, the early goal from Thorpe settled some nerves and we piled it on to be 3 - 0 up at half time. The pop side atmosphere was terrific and each of the goals was worthy of winning a game on its own.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by stefano »

Thanks for the correction Tomo and nice to get an eye witness report. It was indeed Eric Webber at centre half against Leeds. A further nagging question following on from my remarks about the 2 games against Leeds and Palace, is would Eric Webber have led England to success in the World Cup of 1966 if Torquay had won at Palace? ;-)

Mills v Stubbs for a statue outside of the ground. A very difficult question posed by Wivel and I really don't know. Best not build it until we know a move to The Willows is out of the question though! :)
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by wivelgull »

Middlesbrough have solved this problem by erecting TWO statues outside the Riverside Stadium: those of George Hardwick AND Wilf Mannion. So why don't we do the same? Don Mills AND Robin.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by stefano »

wivelgull wrote:Middlesbrough have solved this problem by erecting TWO statues outside the Riverside Stadium: those of George Hardwick AND Wilf Mannion. So why don't we do the same? Don Mills AND Robin.
Good idea .... although I suspect there are some who would vote for Lee Mansell and Kevin Nicholson ;-)
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Kernowgull »

Plymouth Gull wrote:JOINT 43rd: Oxford United 3 - 3 Torquay United - 2007/08

8 points, 2 votes (1+7)

Blue Square Premier
Thursday 11th October 2007
Kassam Stadium
Attendance: 4633

Torquay:
Simon Rayner, Steve Woods, Chris Todd, Kevin Nicholson, Mark Ellis, Chris Hargreaves, Danny Stevens, Lee Mansell, Lee Phillips, Chris Zebroski, Tim Sills. Subs: Martin Rice, Ishmael Welsh, Matt Hockley, Tony Bedeau, Elliot Benyon

Oxford scorers: Eddie Hutchinson, Yemi Odubade (2)
Torquay scorers: Ishmael Welsh, Chris Zebroski, Tim Sills

United travelled to Oxford for a live TV match (good ol' Setanta!) relatively early on in our first season out of the Football League. We had already been on TV once in a 3-1 defeat at Burton, and this match looked like going in a similar way. Oxford were 3-0 up at half time as Eddie Hutchinson first scored, before Yemi Odubade added two more. Paul Buckle made some changes to his side, and substitute Ishmael Welsh got us on the scoresheet just before the hour. With 10 minutes to go, Chris Zebroski scored to make it an edgy ending. 90th minute saw United counter attack and Tim Sills powered home to level the game! True drama. I wasn't there but I remember being incredibly close to turning it off at HT. Certainly one that I wish I had gone to!

------------------------

JOINT 47th: Leyton Orient 2 - 1 Torquay United

8 points, 2 votes (4+4)

Division 3
Saturday 2nd May 1998
Brisbane Road
Attendance: 6545

Torquay:
Kenny Veysey, Andy Gurney, Paul Gibbs, Jamie Robinson, Jon Gittens, Alex Watson, Gary Clayton, Kevin Hill, Rodney Jack, Andy McFarlane, Steve McCall. Subs: Tony Bedeau, Scott Partridge, Chris Leadbitter

Leyton Orient scorers: Dean Smith, Craig Maskell
Torquay scorer: Andy McFarlane

The final day of the 1997/98 campaign is next up. United travelled to London to face Leyton Orient - I believe a win would have seen the club automatically promoted to Division 2? We were contending with Lincoln for the final automatic promotion spot. The game did not go well. Inside 6 minutes, Orient were ahead through a penalty converted by Dean Smith. Craig Maskell added a second in the 24th minute. United eventually pulled one back with 13 minutes to go, but then all hope of a comeback was ended when goalkeeper Kenny Veysey got sent off in the 86th minute. This result, coupled with Lincoln's victory, meant the Imps enjoyed automatic promotion at our expense.

The Orient game. Oh the Orient game. We actually only needed a draw for auto promotion, and despite Vesey getting sent off, it wasn't quite over. A last minute goal mouth scramble saw Alex Watson and Andy MacFarlane have chances. I think Watson hit the bar. I have never seen so much confetti at a game!!! I don't know how many gulls were there, but the away terrace was defo over capacity. I barely touched the floor all game. When we almost scored the equaliser in the last minute, the crowd swayed like I've never experienced. So close to an incredible celebration!!!
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

stefano wrote: Good idea .... although I suspect there are some who would vote for Lee Mansell and Kevin Nicholson ;-)
Nah - not keen on statues. You could make a case for statues of Sam Collins (the club's highest goalscorer ever) or Dennis Lewis (played more games than any other player ...... and before you jump on me and say 'Kevin Hill', Hilly's games included subs appearances which Lewis's didn't of course). I think a statue of Chris Roberts would be more appropriate. Directly underneath the flight path of all the local gulls and pigeons if you get my drift ......... ;-)
samuel
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: colin bettany

Post by samuel »

Good idea Tomogull and you have a serious point about Collins and Lewis, sadly I never saw them.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by stefano »

tomogull wrote: Nah - not keen on statues. You could make a case for statues of Sam Collins (the club's highest goalscorer ever) or Dennis Lewis (played more games than any other player ...... and before you jump on me and say 'Kevin Hill', Hilly's games included subs appearances which Lewis's didn't of course). I think a statue of Chris Roberts would be more appropriate. Directly underneath the flight path of all the local gulls and pigeons if you get my drift ......... ;-)
Yes Tomo you are absolutely right again on the case for Sam Collins and Dennis Lewis.....and of course you could throw Eric Webber into the mix. An excellent player, longest serving manager, and as a manager knocked Leeds out of the FA Cup, got the club the closest it has been to the 2nd tier, had one promotion, and was within a whisker of knocking Spurs out of the FA Cup in a 3-3 draw (a game I am sure will feature quite highly on this thread).
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by wivelgull »

I rather think the 3-3 Spurs draw will win.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

wivelgull wrote:I rather think the 3-3 Spurs draw will win.
Playoff final v Cambridge will win.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
pnutgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Dave Caldwell

Post by pnutgull »

Both wrong. Its going to be Barnet for raw emotion. Before that though there are some really good games to come