Torquay United Top 100 Matches

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

Kernowgull wrote:
Yes but knackered I would have thought after taking on the FA Cup holders 4 divisions above us and matching them for 70 minutes, in absolutely energy draining conditions. I would have said well done, rather than how bloody ludicrous. Still each to their own ;-)
pnutgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Dave Caldwell

Post by pnutgull »

Moving on to the Aldershot game that is another one I had forgotten.

A good turnout that evening in a wet Hampshire and was wondering how we were going to fare in the conference and what we would find ground wise when we got there. The result spoke for itself as we dominated the game and I will always remember my disbelief that both sets of vocal fans were housed in the same end. Made for a good atmosphere.
Another fun trip away. Its why we do it.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Plymouth Gull wrote:JOINT 89th: Aldershot Town 0 - 3 Torquay United - 2007/08

3 points, 1 vote

Blue Square Premier
Wednesday 15th August 2007
Recreation Ground
Attendance: 3139

Torquay:
Simon Rayner, Chris Robertson, Chris Todd, Steve Woods, Kevin Nicholson, Tony Bedeau, Lee Mansell, Chris Hargreaves, Chris Zebroski, Lee Phillips, Tim Sills. Subs: Martin Rice, Elliot Benyon, Danny Stevens, Ishmael Welsh, Matt Hockley.

Torquay scorers: Tim Sills, Chris Zebroski, Danny Stevens

----

Our first away match as a non-league club is next up. Aldershot were one of the bigger sides in the division, and so this was to be a test for United, especially after our goalless draw with Grays Athletic on the opening day. However, United passed through with flying colours, running up a superb 3-0 victory. Tim Sills opened the scoring before Zebroski and then substitute Danny Stevens added the gloss to the scoreline. However, Aldershot had the last laugh as they ended up romping to the League title, which was effectively won at Plainmoor in March thanks to a last minute winner.

Highlights:
Third goal:
This was mine. First great away-day in the first conference era. Fantastic atmosphere amongst the away fans, we could do with some of that this season!
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Jerry wrote: Steve Ogrizovic?
Ah yes - it was Ogrizovic. Thanks. Well remembered ! :-D
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

JOINT 89th: Tottenham Hotspur 2 - 0 Torquay United - 2001/02

3 points, 1 vote

Worthington Cup 2nd Round
13th September 2001
White Hart Lane
Attendance: 20347

Torquay:
Kevin Dearden, Troy Douglin, Dave Woozley, Martin McNeil, Steve Tully, Chris Brandon, Alex Russell, Jason Rees, Kevin Hill, Eifion Williams, David Graham. Subs: Ryan Northmore, Lee Russell, Mark Nicholls, Jimmy Benefield, Neville Roach.

Tottenham scorers: Ledley King, Les Ferdinand

----

Torquay United went down by 2 goals to 0 in a League Cup 2nd round fixture at Premier League side Tottenham Hotspur, back in 2001. It was a match that United appeared to genuinely scare their hosts and cause a potential upset. The Tottenham line up, full of international stars, included players such as Ledley King, Les Ferdinand, Teddy Sheringham and a young Matthew Etherington. United came closest to scoring in the first 45 minutes - Kasey Keller had to dive on the ball on his goalline after a clearance hit Graham. Shortly after, Dave Woozley hit the crossbar as United pressed. The second half saw two goals in 8 minutes from the hosts, firstly through Ledley King, before striker Les Ferdinand added a second. The hosts had the better of the second half but could not add to their tally in the final 20 minutes.

Highlights:
Bloggy
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Bloggy »

I remember this one well. It was the day I moved house. Having already bought tickets for the game, I had to abandon wife and 2yr old son with a lot of the unpacking still to be done! Lots of inflatable palm trees... or was it sharks?
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

JOINT 81st: Torquay United 0 - 1 Crawley Town - 2010/11

4 points, 1 vote

FA Cup 4th Round
Saturday 29th January 2011
Plainmoor
Attendance: 5065

Torquay:
Scott Bevan, Chris Robertson, Mark Ellis, Guy Branston, Kevin Nicholson, Eunan O'Kane, Lee Mansell, Nicky Wroe, Danny Stevens, Chris Zebroski, Elliot Benyon. Subs: Damon Lathrope, Danny Potter, Lathanial Rowe-Turner, Joe Oastler, Saul Halpin, Billy Kee, Ashley Hemmings.

Crawley goalscorer: Matt Tubbs

----

Errm, so yeah, this match got voted for. One of the biggest 'what if' moments in the clubs history, I'd say. Unfortunately we all know what happened so I'm not going to go into details. There are highlights on youtube if you wish to...reminisce?
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Plymouth Gull wrote:JOINT 81st: Torquay United 0 - 1 Crawley Town - 2010/11

4 points, 1 vote

FA Cup 4th Round
Saturday 29th January 2011
Plainmoor
Attendance: 5065

Torquay:
Scott Bevan, Chris Robertson, Mark Ellis, Guy Branston, Kevin Nicholson, Eunan O'Kane, Lee Mansell, Nicky Wroe, Danny Stevens, Chris Zebroski, Elliot Benyon. Subs: Damon Lathrope, Danny Potter, Lathanial Rowe-Turner, Joe Oastler, Saul Halpin, Billy Kee, Ashley Hemmings.

Crawley goalscorer: Matt Tubbs

----

Errm, so yeah, this match got voted for. One of the biggest 'what if' moments in the clubs history, I'd say. Unfortunately we all know what happened so I'm not going to go into details. There are highlights on youtube if you wish to...reminisce?
WTF?

Why would anyway care to remember this game with fond memories. We were nothing short of shite on the day and completely bottled it against a team managed by the fat thug himself! - and then they get rewarded with Man Utd away in the next round!

Would we be where we are now if we had won THIS game?
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

I attended this match, and not even I would vote for this debacle!!

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

JOINT 81st: Torquay United 2 - 1 Exeter City - 2000/01

4 points, 1 vote

Division 3
Saturday 20th January 2001
Plainmoor
Attendance: 4053

Torquay:
Ryan Northmore, Jimmy Aggrey, Robbie Herrera, Gary Neil, Lee Russell, Steve Tully, Khalid Chalqi, Mark Ford, Kevin Hill, Tony Bedeau, Eifion Williams. Subs: John Gayle, Paul Holmes, Kevin Parker, Nick Stevens, Jason Rowbotham.

Torquay scorers: Mark Ford, Kevin Parker
Exeter scorer: Mark Rawlinson

----

Moving swiftly away from that last match, another Devon derby is next up, this time at Plainmoor. United welcomed Exeter to the English Riviera in January 2001. City were reduced to 10 men inside 6 minutes after Chris Curran was sent off. United took the lead in first half stoppage time through a Mark Ford penalty. However it wasn't plain sailing and City equalised in the 69th minute through Rawlinson. Substitute Kevin Parker entered the pitch in the 89th minute and scored the winner a matter of moments later, to the delight of the majority of the crowd at Plainmoor.
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

Scott Brehaut wrote:I attended this match, and not even I would vote for this debacle!!

The ref -

Darren Deadman - say no more.
samuel
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: colin bettany

Post by samuel »

I can only assume this thread has been infiltrated by Scum or GAWS supporters to include the Crawley game. If you included the 10 worst games ever in Torquays history, this would be one of them. What was Buckle thinking of, putting Benyon up on his own against 4 6ft defenders. We played a non league side at home in the FA Cup in the 4th round with a chance to getting in the 5th round for the first time. Absolutely blew it. As it turned out a game of huge magnitude because we would have had a close on a million pound game next against Man Utd. If we had won I bet we would still be in the league, that's how important that game was. Only one other game has made me feel more sick and it hurts so much still I can't mention it.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Can someone settle this once and for all - if we had beaten Crawley, would we have drawn Man U? I'm sure I've heard both sides of the story; one being that yes we would as we would have been the same number out of the hat, but also that we wouldn't as we would have had a different number based on alphabetical order.

Can anyone confirm one way or another?
samuel
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: colin bettany

Post by samuel »

Jeff, I think you will find Stephano has already confirmed this somewhere - we would definitely have been playing Man Utd.
northlondongull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by northlondongull »

Had Torquay beaten Crawley then events would have been different and I have no doubt that we would have drawn a League 1/lowly Championship side at home...

That was an awful game it has to be said. Classic Evans/Raynor side conning the referee at every opportunity.