Torquay United Top 100 Matches

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

JOINT 111th: Bristol Rovers 0 - 1 Torquay United - 2005/06

1 point, 1 vote

League Two
17th December 2005
Memorial Stadium
Attendance: 6061

Bristol Rovers: Shearer, Lescott, Hinton, Elliott, Carruthers, Gibb (Williams 58), Hunt, Disley (Forrester 90), Campbell, Agogo (Haldane 75), Walker.
Subs Not Used: Book, Edwards.

Torquay: Andy Marriott, Alex Lawless (Steve Woods 78), Adam Lockwood, Craig Taylor, Anthony Lloyd, Martin Phillips (Alan Connell 84),Matt Hockley (Morike Sako 45), Darren Garner, Jo Kuffour, Kevin Hill, Tony Bedeau.
Subs Not Used: Robinson, Coleman.

Torquay scorer: Morike Sako

----

A relatively local derby for us is the next to appear. We've met Rovers a few times, and while this certainly isn't the most memorable match of recent years, it is elevated due to the spectacular goal that won the match. Imagine a 0-0 affair where United, struggling in the league, are second best. Then, with two minutes to go, Morike Sako picks the ball up 40 yards from goal. The lanky Frenchman strides forward before absolutely smashing the ball into the roof of the net. Cue chaos in the away terrace at the Memorial Stadium as the Gulls take the points.

Highlights:

Every time I watch it, it gets better. Belter!
samuel
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: colin bettany

Post by samuel »

Woods and Taylor, what a great combination.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

JOINT 111th: Shrewsbury Town 1 - 1 Torquay United - 2010/11

1 point, 1 vote

nPower League Two
Saturday 2nd October 2010
Greenhous Meadow
Attendance: 6034

Torquay: Bevan, Robertson, Branston, Ellis, Nicholson, O'Kane, Mansell, Wroe, Stevens, Zebroski, Benyon. Subs: Potter, Rowe-Turner, Charnock, Carlisle, Macklin, Gritton, Kee

Shrewsbury scorer: Jake Robinson
Torquay scorer: Elliot Benyon

----

Both sides were in the top 10 of the league at this point, with the Shrews sitting in the top 3. It was a tough game for Torquay, on paper. However, football isn't played on paper, and the Gulls were really unlucky not to win this one. They dominated throughout, but found themselves behind early on, thanks to future Gull Jake Robinson. Nicky Wroe then missed a penalty - fortunately Shrewsbury were feeling helpful, and soon gave us another chance from the spot. Benyon stepped up and scored the equaliser.

It was the first of four meetings that season, as the two sides went on to meet in the playoffs at the end of the season.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

JOINT 111th: Torquay United 2 - 2 Hartlepool United - 1994/95

1 point, 1 vote

Football League Division 3
Tuesday 27 December 1994
Plainmoor
Attendance: 3172

Torquay scorers: Dean Sturridge, Tom Kelly
Hartlepool scorers: Paul Thompson, Nicky Southall

----

At a loss to find much information for this one, and it was before my time so I can't comment on it. However, from the scoreline I presume it was an exciting game. I have also noticed that it appears that back then teams played on Boxing Day, and then again 24 hours later!? Is this correct? Hartlepool lost 1-5 at home to Carlisle on BD before making the journey south, while Torquay won 2-1 at Exeter before the draw with the Northern outfit.

Imagine if that was suggested today...
Bloggy
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Bloggy »

This one's mine PG and I can't add much more either. It was on my list because it was my first trip to Plainmoor. Home for the holidays from working in Bedfordshire and my folks couldn't understand my desire to travel up the A38 to watch the match on Boxing Day. Similar weather to what we're experiencing now (if I remember correctly) and the pitch was a shocker!
Pettinger, Hodges, O'Riordan, Barrow, Curran, Hancox, Okorie, Goodridge, Hathaway, Moore*, Kelly, Sturridge.
*Darren was on the prog cover!
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

We move on to the matches that finished in joint 101st now...

Joint 101st: Wycombe Wanderers 1 - 1 Torquay United - 1993/94

2 points, 1 vote

Football League Division 3
Saturday 2nd April 1994
Adams Park
Attendance: 5808

Torquay: Bayes, Okorie, Colcombe, Kelly, Moore, Curran, Trollope, Buckle, Foster, Darby, Hathaway. Subs: Goodridge, Sale, Lowe.

Wycombe scorer: Matt Crossley
Torquay scorer: Mark Sale

----

Torquay were sat in 6th place in the league as they headed to Buckinghamshire for this match. The hosts went ahead early on through Matt Crossley, but could not add to their advantage. The match, seemingly remembered for a referee who wished to be centre of attention (he dished out 9 yellow cards), was levelled in the 6th minute of stoppage time, when Mark Sale was able to find the net for the Gulls. The match could also be remembered for some bloke parachuting into the stadium..

http://www.chairboys.co.uk/history/1993 ... quay_h.htm
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

JOINT 101st: AFC Bournemouth 2 - 1 Torquay United - 2009/10

2 points, 1 vote

npower League 2
28th December 2009
Dean Court
Attendance: 7626

Torquay: Michael Poke, Chris Robertson, Adam Smith, Kieran Charnock, Lee Mansell, Nicky Wroe, Wayne Carlisle, Jake Thompson, Tyrone Thompson, Scott Rendell, Chris Zebroski. Subs: Scott Bevan, Chris Hargreaves, Tim Sills, Elliot Benyon, Kevin Nicholson, Mark Ellis

Bournemouth scorers: Liam Feeney, Brett Pitman
Torquay scorer: Scott Rendell
----

The first defeat on the list appears. And it was one of the most undeserved losses I've ever seen, too. We were struggling in our first season back in the Football League - while the Cherries were in the top 3. We took over 1200 fans to this one, and it was a great atmosphere further along the South Coast. Scott Rendell put us ahead just after the hour, and it looked like we were going to record a great victory.

Enter Mr. Singh (the referee for those who don't know/weren't there). He was content on being the centre of attention, and this game still remains one of the most frustrating I've seen in terms of refereeing. It's up there with Brett Huxtable. The yellow card came out 12 times, with 7 Gulls in the book by the end of the match. Anyway, back to the game. The hosts equalised in the 85th minute through a 25 yard strike from Liam Feeney. Then, as United missed a golden chance to win it, Bournemouth did just that. It was the 95th minute when Singh decided Mansell had sufficiently fouled Pitman in the box - he gave a penalty which Pitman scored.

Funnily enough, I don't recall seeing Singh ref one of our matches again, although I may be wrong. This match is certainly one of the more memorable I've seen in terms of drama, even if we did lose out.

Torquay fans after Rendell's goal:
Bournemouth's winner: (There is some swearing here)
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Plymouth Gull wrote:JOINT 101st: AFC Bournemouth 2 - 1 Torquay United - 2009/10

2 points, 1 vote

npower League 2
28th December 2009
Dean Court
Attendance: 7626

Torquay: Michael Poke, Chris Robertson, Adam Smith, Kieran Charnock, Lee Mansell, Nicky Wroe, Wayne Carlisle, Jake Thompson, Tyrone Thompson, Scott Rendell, Chris Zebroski. Subs: Scott Bevan, Chris Hargreaves, Tim Sills, Elliot Benyon, Kevin Nicholson, Mark Ellis
I bet Adam Smith never dreamed that in six years time he'd be playing for Bournemouth in the Premier Division ...... Just six years - Bournemouth in the Premier, Torquay heading towards National South playing Gosport instead of Bournemouth :'(
pnutgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Dave Caldwell

Post by pnutgull »

Just look at the subs bench names.... a bit different now.

Like so many was there in that 3 sided ground. Had almost managed to forget Singh who I can still picture to this day charging around making the most of his moment
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Smith was one of those players you could tell would have a career in the higher echelons though - he was a very good loanee for us. As for Singh, well, the less said the better.

----

JOINT 101st: Torquay United 2 - 0 Notts County - 1965/66

2 points, 1 vote

English Fourth Division
Monday 9th May 1966
Plainmoor
Attendance: 8928

----

Another one a long time before mine, but this season was a good one for the club. This match was the penultimate match of the season, and the 2-0 win put us on top of the table. It seems very much that Plainmoor was a fortress that year, with 17 wins from 23 games! I believe we ended up finishing 3rd behind Doncaster and Darlington, though I may be wrong! As before, hoping some of the older members can add some more depth here.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

This was the game that just about clinched promotion. We went up to Darlington for the final game of the season, and well over 1000 Torquay fans were in the 16,000 Feethams crowd. A brilliant second half strike from Robin Stubbs was bizarrely ruled out so the tense final game ended 0-0. That clinched promotion for Darlington, but we still had to wait a week as in those days all the final games were not played at the same time. The results went our way so we finished 3rd behind Doncaster Rovers and Darlington, with Colchester United making up the final promotion place in 4th.
samuel
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by samuel »

Torquay 2 Notts County 0 Monday 9th May 1966
This is my diary entry for that day, the 129th day without missing a Torquay home game.

Woke up at 7 o'clock. Went to school. Didn't do woodwork. Came back home again. Played football on pitch in school. Won 7-4. Went up Plainmoor. Torquay beat Notts County 2-0. Now almost certain of promotion. Never been so happy in my life. Bused up ad back. Invaded the pitch after the match. Went to be at half past ten.

Incidentally on Tuesday 10th May I bused up to Plainmoor again to see Arsenal beaten 5-4 in a testimonial. On Wednesday 11th May I bused up Plainmoor to see Torquay lose at home to Plymouth Argyle 3-2 in extra time in the Devon Bowl and on Thursday 12th May I bused up Plainmoor to see Torquay United draw 0-0 at home to Bath City in the floodlit league. 4 games in 4 days - beat that.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

samuel wrote: Torquay 2 Notts County 0 Monday 9th May 1966
Incidentally on Tuesday 10th May I bused up to Plainmoor again to see Arsenal beaten 5-4 in a testimonial. On Wednesday 11th May I bused up Plainmoor to see Torquay lose at home to Plymouth Argyle 3-2 in extra time in the Devon Bowl and on Thursday 12th May I bused up Plainmoor to see Torquay United draw 0-0 at home to Bath City in the floodlit league. 4 games in 4 days - beat that.
I wouldn't have realised they were all together in 4 days but I likewise saw all 4 games. The testimonial was for Terry Adlington. Cracking keeper who had his career ended by a bad injury. I think it was away to Shrewsbury in a cup game. It was meant to be a South West XI against Arsenal initially but it ended up a Torquay side. Pity really as the full back combination would have been Book Bond! (Tony Book who entered the football league from Bath City at the ridiculously old age of 28 and was then at Argyle, before going on to star in the top flight with Manchester City; and of course our own John Bond an FA Cup winner with west Ham).

Glad you've still got that bloody diary Sam! ;-)
samuel
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by samuel »

Ha, Steve, the diary. Have it for 1966 '67'68'69. We absolutely loved our football didn't we. And all our mates, yours at Newton Abbot and mine in Paignton. Just couldn't wait for the games.
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

Yes, a bit off topic but Terry Adlington was indeed injured at Shrewsbury.

Back on topic, I went to that Darlington match in one of a convoy of Wallace Arnold coaches and it was Ron Barnes who was adjudged offside when Robin Stubbs 'scored'.

The return journey was eventful as we listened on the radio to boxing between Henry Cooper v Cassius Clay (as he was then) and we all took the wrong motorway at the junction of the M5 and M50. Actually there was no M5 at that time as they hadn't built the long viaduct over the river Avon just north of Tewkesbury and we should have gone down the A38. To avoid travelling a long way towards Wales it was easy in those days as there was little traffic and no central crash barriers so the whole convoy did a U turn on the M50 and we retraced our route back to the interchange!