Hancox moment of glory!

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Fantasia
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Fantasia »

Very vague memory from maybe early 60's of ? Jim Fryatt at the Babbacombe end being hit on the head from a goal kick by the opposition keeper and being unconscious as the goal was scored. Any confirmation/ better details anyone?
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

I remember the knock out goal incident well. Yes, it was at the Babbacombe end but (without looking it up to check) I think that it was Gordon Astle who gave up his consciousness for the greater cause.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

No, it was definitely Spencer (unless a similar incident occurred). It was close to the Grandstand, just into the Babbacombe end (but not much - more half-way line really).
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper

Post by gateman49 »

Wivelgull,

Thanks for the update, if it was indeed Ray Spencer it could only have been in our 5 - 1 win over Harwich and Parkeston in the FA Cup on Nov 4th 1961 (yes, I've had to do some digging!). He was with us for two seasons 61/2 and 62/3 but broke a leg and I think that was it with us. In that time he only scored twice for us, once in an away league match and that cup game which I remember attending. Regarding location of the involuntary back header, the one I remember was only on the edge of the Babbacombe end area over towards the old main stand and not near the half way line so perhaps there were two such incidents after all?

Added in 5 minutes 24 seconds:
p.s re the cow shed, it had wooden framing and I think that it had a corrugated iron roof. It also had similar backing but that had a lot of rusty holes in it and the floor was probably just railway sleepers and cinders (it didn't have either much depth or rise in height from front to back from my memories of it).

It blew down one winter in a gale (luckily there wasn't a match on)!
notnow
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by notnow »

hector wrote:My uncle always relays a tale from Plainmoor in the 50s or 60s, where in the old Cowshed at the Ellacombe (Pre-Mini Stand apparently), a stray shot hit a man in the head and bounced over the stand to the area where the swimming pool is.

When the ball was hit back over from someone outside, it apparently hit the same man on the head again, on the way back in. Sounds a bit urban myth to me but my uncle often repeats this tale and swears it's true.
Incredibly funny wether it's true or not! Can you imagine how embarrassed he was if indeed it was true, definitely worth a chuckle for a few days! Thanks for that one hector, brilliant!
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

It WAS Ray Spencer and, as I thought, against York City. The date was April 17th, 1964 and we lost 0-1. Although some books say Spencer was at the club from 1961-63, it was actually 1961-64. In the 1963-64 season he appeared 19 times for United, mainly at right-half (No 4), but once at centre-half (No 5) and once at left-half (No 6). He was not a regular by any means, in the previous season he made 6 appearances, but in the 1961-2 season he appeared 34 times (I' m talking about league appearances here). Gateman is right in saying that he played in the Cup game vs Harwich and Parkeston, and he actually scored (along with Ernie [2] and Tommy). Spencer is one of those lost characaters - really the majority - who played for United for a season or two or three and then disappeared into oblivion. Where is he now?
How odd, though, to be remembered only for the ball clouting him on the back of the head when he wasn't looking.
Fantasia
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Fantasia »

The one I only half remember was a goal FOR us, so not in a lost game, a goal?- kick from the opposition keeper and definitely near the penalty area. Maybe there were two!
samuel
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: colin bettany

Post by samuel »

Something along the same lines. If you look at Bristows Bench roof from the pitch - on the extreme right hand side (next to the kiosk) there is a ball wedged up between the girders. It has been there for ages, I can't remember who got it stuck there, but it was in a game before Chrimbo. It would be a major job to get it down (cherry picker or scaffolding). Think it will be a testimony to our dog days in the Conference and the level of defensive clearances we were used to.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

T'was Mac.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

ferrarilover wrote:T'was Mac.

Matt.
Would it not be 'twas, rather that t'was?

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
samuel
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: colin bettany

Post by samuel »

Thanks Matt, Why am I not surprised?
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Short answer no.

Long answer no, because the apostrophe signifies the missing space (and consequent pause) between the words. There's an argument to say it should be 't'was, but that's misleading and unclear. The only native English example of a double apostrophe which comes to my mind is 'n' such as in "cut out 'n' keep guide" or "fish 'n' chips".

I'm just tweeting a noted lexicographer to see if there's more to the story.

Sam, you're not surprised? Old Beckenbauer-in-yellow walloping one into the stands unnecessarily hard. Wonders will never cease.
If you care to find it, there was a fascinating article a month or so ago in one of the obscure papers (it may have been The Independent) all about historic formations and systems. It referenced the long ball game of the 80s and cited the cheering of balls hacked into touch as a hangover from those bad old days. T'was much more interesting than it sounds.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
BayGull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jools Holland

Post by BayGull »

Scott Brehaut wrote: Would it not be 'twas, rather that t'was?
You mean like t'wat or '****?
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper

Post by gateman49 »

Back to the subject, it may have been Ray Spencer who was hit on the head near the halfway line against York (I just can't remember that incident).

Regarding my memory of a similar incident, Klink, a trusted witness, has confirmed that it was Gordon Astle who went the extra mile and, having also been whacked on the head, scored a goal from the rebound and then failed to take part in the celebrations.

I, for one, would be very interested to be reminded If anybody can remember during which match that occurred.
madgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by madgull »

ferrarilover wrote:Short answer no.

Long answer no, because the apostrophe signifies the missing space (and consequent pause) between the words. There's an argument to say it should be 't'was, but that's misleading and unclear. The only native English example of a double apostrophe which comes to my mind is 'n' such as in "cut out 'n' keep guide" or "fish 'n' chips".

I'm just tweeting a noted lexicographer to see if there's more to the story.

Sam, you're not surprised? Old Beckenbauer-in-yellow walloping one into the stands unnecessarily hard. Wonders will never cease.
If you care to find it, there was a fascinating article a month or so ago in one of the obscure papers (it may have been The Independent) all about historic formations and systems. It referenced the long ball game of the 80s and cited the cheering of balls hacked into touch as a hangover from those bad old days. T'was much more interesting than it sounds.

Matt.
Erm, no. It SHOULD be 'twas. Apostrophes take the place of missing letters in contractions, not spaces.