Basingstoke FC V Torquay United - Match day thread

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

brucie wrote:Our Cup Woes Continue.

Basingstoke 3 (Macklin 3)

Torquay 1 (Herring)

Attendance: 88
Bloody rose tinter raising expectations! ;-)
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

chunkygull wrote:No man of the match thread? :whistle:
This is the fifth year I've been running this, and I've never collected figures after any cup game. It's the 46 league only and won't change this season, win, lose or draw.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I have been watching Torquay for 55 years. Hate to say I told you so but I told you so. Unfortunately this result was almost a foregone conclusion. Apparently Basingstoke are an experienced team. A team that is experienced in losing it seems as they have not won a bloody league game all season.
We were all desperately clinging on to false hope that Nicholson had turned it around but the reality is that we have scraped one win in five (by one goal which is the only way we can win).
We have got a couple of draws but have lost three culminating in an absolute hammering by the worst team in the league below us.
We had to borrow a player off Bideford to make up the numbers and now seemed to be trialling some bloke with a stupid name who no one has ever heard of.
If this is the best that Breed and co can achieve perhaps they should have sold the club to George and Mushroom cause this is just embarrassing.
Orange Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Orange Gull »

TUST_Member_Rob wrote: We got beaten by a far more experienced team today, form is out the window in the cup!

I'm not noticing lots of 'new posters' spouting the usual drivel
There is no excuse for losing to a team in the division below that is rock bottom of the league and has failed to win a league game all season. I listened until the third goal went in and then turned it off. I thought we would brush Basingstoke aside and go through to the next round, it seems not. People are saying that was the worst performance they have ever seen, I saw the team against Wrexham back in August, that was the most atrocious football I have ever seen, to be worse than that is simply unimaginable. I very much hope that this was a one off performance and Nicholson can inspire the players to bounce back from that, because if not, well the consequences do not bare thinking about.
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

I genuinely believed that there was a small pinprick of light at the end of the tunnel last week. No, it was just a spark from the trowels of the brickies who are filling the tunnel in.
drummergull90
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: O'Kane

Post by drummergull90 »

Bad day at the office. Didn't think we played too badly in the first half but they took their chances and we didn't. We were superb against Grimsby just a week ago so I refuse to lose hope just yet. Think Dan deserves a chance, Speiss isnt up to it.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Yesterday was worse than your worst nightmare. Those who are running the club should be in discussions today to decide what's going on and what to do about it.
CraigUnder
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by CraigUnder »

Chairman has put a statement on the OS:

http://www.torquayunited.com/news/artic ... 64297.aspx
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Drummergull - your nuts. "a bad day at the office". Take a look at our bench yesterday. Gerring (a player borrowed from Bideford). Hancox son (who actually got on the pitch) Chaney (the bloke who never plays) Yeoman (couldn't get in Truros team)
And you wonder why we couldn't compete with a team who are bottom of the level below us?
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

arcadia wrote:Not a good day for the club but with a young side we are going to get highs and lows. Due to being cup-tied Kevin could not play and today and you've got to say we missed him. We lacked the quality that Hurst brings to the side as well and I thought it was a good day for Chaney to be given a go but it was not to be.
I was disappointed with our supporters not clapping the team at the end of the game as being young and immature the players could resent this happening. The team needs all the help they can get and don't need the supporters turning against them just now. Believe it or not the players do try their hardest.
This was not a game to remember.
The team have been clapped off the pitch all season despite some pathetic performances and results. Any other club's supporters would have turned on them by now. They are bloody lucky most Torquay fans are patient but it's wearing thin now. They need some tough love. Perhaps a kick up the backside and a sense of reality will spur them on because clapping and sticking by them hasn't worked. I'm glad some fans jeered them yesterday. If any of our players think that performance was acceptable then they need to look for an alternative career.
samuel
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: colin bettany

Post by samuel »

Oh dear, I wasn't expecting this result. To lose this game when there was so much on it financially is truly awful. I didn't go so can't comment on the performance but even so this must rank alongside Tamworth away 1969, Hinckley and worst of all (financially that is) Crawley home FAC 4th round. How many potential money generating games can we blow. You would have thought it would have been a death or glory game yesterday with so much riding on it for the financial security of the club. Give Nico a chance though, keep the faith. It was very sad we lost yesterday but we still need to get behind the club like never before. I feel that a silent reaction is the best way to show displeasure at the end of the game. You cannot expect the fans to return the clapping by the players when those players have not put in a shift and shown lack of respect to hard working people who have travelled 100's of miles and spent plenty of money to watch them play.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

drummegul wrote:Bad day at the office. Didn't think we played too badly in the first half but they took their chances and we didn't. We were superb against Grimsby just a week ago so I refuse to lose hope just yet. Think Dan deserves a chance, Speiss isnt up to it.
:goodpost:

Added in 8 minutes 26 seconds:
tommyg wrote: The team have been clapped off the pitch all season despite some pathetic performances and results. Any other club's supporters would have turned on them by now. They are bloody lucky most Torquay fans are patient but it's wearing thin now. They need some tough love. Perhaps a kick up the backside and a sense of reality will spur them on because clapping and sticking by them hasn't worked. I'm glad some fans jeered them yesterday. If any of our players think that performance was acceptable then they need to look for an alternative career.
I'm not concerned about what anyone has done or not done it's a case of restoring confidence thats why Nicholson has come out and taken the blame he knows they need a bollocking but the players have to face the supporters next week.
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

Upsets of the day, doesn't make it any better but we weren't the only ones!

(Step 6) AFC FYLDE 1-0 Barrow (step 5)

(Step 6) BASINGSTOKE TOWN 3-0 Torquay United (step 5)

(Step 8) DIDCOT TOWN 4-2 Brentwood Town (step 7)

(Step 5) Gateshead 1-2 WORCESTER CITY (step 6)

(Step 6) MAIDENHEAD 3-0 Woking (step 5)

(Step 7) SALFORD CITY 1-0 Southport (step 5)

(Step 7) STAINES TOWN 2-1 Gloucester City (step 6)

(Step 7) STOURBRIDGE 3-0 Kidderminster (step 5)

(Step 5) Wrexham 0-1 GAINSBOROUGH TRINITY (step 6)
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

Since were both out would it be worth trying to move the Wrexham game to that Saturday instead of keeping it on the Tuesday night?
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Yes it would Alex, it would take agreement from both clubs, the national league and of course there's the referee appointment to consider as well.

Yesterday no doubt is a new low for us, but as said above our club wasn't the only ones, there are clubs on that list much better placed than us dumped out of the cup by lower division, opposition.

Also not trying to make anyone feel better, but Basingstoke, seem to have knack of raising their game for the cup. October the 10th Basingstoke beat Chelmsford City 4.2 at home in the 3rd qualifying round, 7 days later they played Chelmsford at home again in the league and lost 1.2.

The financial loss is a massive blow, personally more concerned about the result at Altrincham next week, that could have bearing on what division we're playing in next season, which will be a much greater blow than this F.A cup defeat if we're relegated again.
Formerly known as forevertufc