Cox Resigns

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
mushroom

Post by mushroom »

Dazza wrote:So who would you like to see as the new manager then Mushroom?
Neil Aspin
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

Fair call.
Yellows
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Yellows »

Southampton Gull wrote: Allowing Bill Phillips into the club in the first place was a bigger mistake. I fail to see any benefit to the club during his whole time there.
Spot on with that L :clap:
eddyh
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Jason Fowler

Post by eddyh »

PhilGull wrote:
To be fair to eddyh I don't think he meant it literally. More pointing out that wanting to purchase Plainmoor doesn't necessarily mean bad news for the club. I read a very big tongue in cheek.

Thanks Phil. Mushroom - words fail me
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

eddyh wrote:Good job that evil Thea Bristow didn't get her grubby hands on it then. Or was that different?
Was that a reply to my posting?

If so a bloody stupid thing to say!!

AND you havnt given me one reason why owning the freehold helps the current situation!
TUST MEMBER
eddyh
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by eddyh »

Neal. Of course it was a response to you. You said anyone wanting the freehold has ulteria motives so please clarify that you also felt this when Thea Bristow stated her intention to buy. What exactly was her ulterior motive? I'm genuinely interested in your view.
As for not providing a reason why owning the freehold would help, did I say it would? I'm maybe just more open minded than you are and haven't passed judgement with basically no understanding of all the pros and cons to any potential investor who may wish to save our football club.
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

I doubt VERY much it was Theas idea, probably Kelvin Thomas or some other hanger on who has the ulterior motive. And how do you you know Thea would have been the sole owner, very dangerous if a Roberts like figure is somewhere in the background.

You don't provide one because there isn't one! Its not the case of being open minded or not, owning the freehlold does no good at all to the club. UNLESS the owner leases it back for nothing. OR the worse decision is that the owner decides to borrow against it, that is a huge gamble and if it didn't pay off WOULD have us bankrupt for sure.

The ONLY other situation would be to sell the ground and build another one, but I cannot see that working out financially.

Before anyone pipes up about the legal situation at the club I KNOW! But these can be over turned if you have the money and the right connections Im sure. So be careful what you ask for.

In fact Im going to ask TUST (as Im a member) WHY they think owning the ground could benefit the club.
TUST MEMBER
eddyh
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by eddyh »

So there are other reasons why it might make sense then?

By the way, it's not a personal dig at you. I just think we all need to keep every option open as at the moment we are headed for oblivion if things don't change and then it won't really matter who owns the ground as there will be no team to watch.

There are good examples of teams that were once a similar size to us that sold their ground and moved with great success. Doncaster, Swansea are just two that spring to mind and although circumstances were probably different we should all keep an open mind.
Last edited by eddyh on 26 Sep 2015, 12:41, edited 1 time in total.
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

You obviously struggle to follow a simple thread, or you don't read posts fully.
TUST MEMBER
eddyh
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by eddyh »

Maybe your contradictory posts are just a little confusing.
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

Neal,

I'm also a TUST member. Perhaps protection from your stated fear is one reason. Perhaps also something else you mentioned, enabling a favourable lease back to the Club is another. Certainly freeing up grant money a private owner couldn't will be another.

The new owners seem to now understand the merits of this after initial concerns raised by Deano, I believe. Trusts are less likely to go bust than private companies, so if true, I'm glad they are now more understanding of the position given recent stated financial concerns, albeit only raised by Deano himself prior to his departure. Steve Breed and David Phillips probably didn't need this mentioning and Breedy has worked diligently on since, given more recent announcements regarding former employees and settlements.
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

I can not believe that a player known to be carrying an injury would be seen to be at fault for the 2 goals conceded.

Coincidence? Maybe he needs to get himself fully fit as this league will find you out very quickly,especially if we advertise the fact of his injury on social media.
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

No contradiction at all its simple.

As for my quoted reasons why someone might buy the ground and the one you point out, leasing back the ground. How does that make sense. Say the TUST borrow the money (well unless they buy it for £2000 of course or whatever is in the bank) to buy it. They have interest and capital to pay back, so the lease could not be less than that or the TUST would go bust. There is a possibility that the lease with the council is more than a loan would be course, but I doubt that very much.
TUST MEMBER
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

I am puzzled as to why 'Mushroom', if he really is a FD of a FL club, is even concerning himself with this messageboard. The emergence of several anonymous posters all saying the same sort of thing reminds me of the time 'Lewis and Russell' were involved with Exeter City and we know how that went.

I think anything these people say should be taken with a pinch of salt because it is clear that there is some agenda somewhere intent on stirring up trouble, when the club has enough of its own to be dealing with.

The interests of TUFC are best served with either TUST or Torbay Council owning the ground. The club owning the ground makes us vulnerable because there is no way that people without any affection or connection to the club/area would want to buy the club without is making them lots of money and the only way they can do this is through land and buildings when it comes to TUFC.

It is likely that there are companies paid to keep an eye on potential football clubs where there are land issues/possibilities for development - and the same strategies deployed to unsettle supporters and undermine those running the club. Steve Breed and Dave Phillips just have to sit tight because the aim of these people is probably to stir up the fanbase to react against a vulnerable regime, so they pack up and sell cheaply to a supposed 'white knight' who will ultimately rip the club apart.

There are probably two or three outcomes that would occur if an outside buyer was to buy the club...

1) They'd run us into the ground, fold the club and sell the ground for a big profit - forget the covenant, it would easily be dismissed once a developer set their sights on the land. All the owners of the ground would have to do is let the ground fall into such a state of disrepair that it became an eyesore and people were virtually demanding it be demolished, even if it took around 10 years to do.
2) They'd use us as part of project that involved selling Plainmoor (therefore making enormous sums on the sale of the land) building a basic stadium at the Willows with some other added elements to rake in money and charge us an exorbitant rent to play in the stadium.
3) Act as though there is some plan to move us to a new ground, sell Plainmoor, but have us ground-sharing with Exeter/Tiverton while the detail to build the new ground is worked out but it doesn't end up happening (and was never going to) and we are left homeless.

I do not for one minute believe that any outside investor would buy us because they want to help the club prosper. I don't think anyone's vanity project is going to be about Torquay United.

Whilst our current board are skint and a bit clumsy, at least they will be making decisions with the club's best interest at heart, even if, at times, they are a bit misguided or naive. Rather that, than some shark coming in and asset-stripping us and this sudden wave of new posters are likely simply stooges planted by someone who does not have TUFC at heart but their own interests and therefore Mushroom, WBW, George etc are best ignored in my view because it is all part of someone's long game and engaging with them encourages them to play it.
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

Neil, I don't know if you were replying to me or eddyh, but as a TUST member you are entitled to ask for an answer to your question posed. I'm reasonably certain the aim wouldn't be to acquire a large mortgage at any stage. But I'm not the one to give you that answer.