Torquay united fans united day (PAFC)

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

Good to see you back with us IJN (seems like ages!) and great support from the green army :)
⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

absolutely outstanding from Plymouth/Brighton even if just 10 turn up it's still beyond the call of their duty so thank you to those fans. Desperate state of affairs really at this club I really wouldn't be surprised to see us actually go to the wall to be honest.
IJN
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by IJN »

Louis wrote:Good to see you back with us IJN (seems like ages!) and great support from the green army :)
Hi mate, only wished it was under better circumstances.

I really don't like the feel of this. Also a tad confused, are your current Board the 'good guys' or is it better to deal with the TUST?

:-D
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Just to further add my thanks to the Argyle fans. In my opinion if it helps, the current board are the good guys, they've come in to one hell of mess left behind by the previous ownership.

One problem I can see with our Trust, is they do not have a working relationship with our club, they seem to be at loggerheads, with both our board and trust in competition to buy the ground, if I've understood things right. Right now I no longer see the point in having trust membership and, I'm considering letting mine go and diverting that money into the clubs player fund, where it will directly benefit TUFC.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

The Board have currently cut their ties with the TUST and so, for now, we need to support the Board (whether that is good or not, they are the ones that have stumped up the cash and got this club back from the brink of oblivion - though we are still in the shit, and the edge of the cliff is getting ever closer again....)

It is a sad state of affairs given that we have always operated within our means and yet we are the ones suffering, whilst other clubs have been in worse shit than us and come out smelling of roses whilst putting other businesses out of business.

Clearly that seems to be the way to go, as we are still looking dodgy whilst other clubs have flourished.

I don't want this to seem ungrateful in any way - any fundraising etc. is very welcome regardless of the amount, and especially from those clubs who we deem to be "rivals" - but it is only papering over the cracks unfortunately. What we need is major investment from an individual, or group of individuals, who can potentially sustain some loss for a while until the club gets back to "normal" and begins operating at a profit again. We need investors who can offer the manager money to build a winning team (though obviously not an amount that would bankrupt us!!) which in turn will bring fans back through the gates.

I'm not normally a doom and gloom type of guy, but this situation is desperate, and it doesn't appear to be getting any better any time soon.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Whilst I fully get where your coming from Scott, to coin a phrase "every little helps" and for all the reasons you set out in your post, is why currently us fans have to see past the league position, see past the performances, see past the fact we could be in the non-league for the long haul, and dig deep to support our club.

I personally can't afford to, go to both the next two games, but, I'm going sack something off and go to both of them.
Formerly known as forevertufc
IJN
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by IJN »

Thoroughly understand your viewpoint Scott.

I think in such occasions though, I think it helps to know that other football fans are with you in these dark times.

We've been there, we have felt the pain and the embarrassment and we are on the mend after five long years.

I'm passing the PASOTI money to our Green Taverners and they will decide where it goes, as even within your fanbase you don't seem to know who's who. Which I sympathise with as again, we sometimes had difficulty knowing what to believe at one stage.

Added in 3 seconds:
Thoroughly understand your viewpoint Scott.

I think in such occasions though, I think it helps to know that other football fans are with you in these dark times.

We've been there, we have felt the pain and the embarrassment and we are on the mend after five long years.

I'm passing the PASOTI money to our Green Taverners and they will decide where it goes, as even within your fanbase you don't seem to know who's who. Which I sympathise with as again, we sometimes had difficulty knowing what to believe at one stage.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

I don't disagree at all - and I'm grateful for all the support we can get. However, I do think it is simply a case of papering over the cracks.

I, for example, contribute on a monthly basis to the "players" fund, and also pay money to the TUST - though I am probably going to go down a similar route to that of Dave (forever) and divert that money to the club. It is, however, a mere drop in the ocean and it is going to take a lot more than the odd twenty quid from me and others to get us out of the smelly stuff.

We have a board of directors who are passionate about the club, and want to see it successful as do us all - and they have been fortunate enough to put their money where their mouths are and front up the cash. However, having got their foot in the door, they have now realised the scale of the task left to the by the previous board. If it wasn't for the money of our former chair, Thaea, we would have folded months ago, and the new board simply cannot sustain the losses that we had/have.
They have stripped back everything and tried to make a new start, but it simply isn't enough at the moment.

Somebody put on another thread that what we need to do is convince people to come through the gates in order to allow us to breakeven this season - great in principle, but a lot fo the floating supporters will only come if they see the club moving forward with results on the pitch and others have simply had enough of seemingly pissing their money away week after week.
In the past I would have dispared at that attitude, and to some extent I do still now, but I can now appreciate why they have done this.

That said, if we do make it through this season, we will be a lot better off next season as we won't be paying off our former manager and assistant. Here's hoping we can pull through - if only so that I can stop being so bloody negative

TTID

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
IJN
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by IJN »

£430.00 at the moment.

With the Youngy shirt, we'll pass the £500 mark easily.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Its a terrific effort by Scott to contribute this money each month as it is with everyone else that contributes. I am not knocking anyone but Scott is right. We have heard talk from the board and manager about building the club up, but I just do not see how that is going to happen. We are likely to be in a worse position next year than we are now. Lower crowds etc etc.
Unfortunately money talks and we need fresh investment.
Its galling to see a team like Forest Green getting crowds of 1300 and winning every game. Imagine what our crowds would be like if we were in that position?
But there you have it their owner is worth 90 million !! The brother of an ex girlfriend of mine is married to the owners sister. I keep telling her to get him to change clubs!
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

IJN wrote:£430.00 at the moment.

:bow:
SenorDingDong
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by SenorDingDong »

IJN wrote:£430.00 at the moment.

About the only good thing that has come out of the last 2 years of turmoil at this club is the generosity shown by Exeter and Plymouth over the past couple months. It's good to know that when it comes to the crunch the other clubs care, even if we've always been a far smaller club than Argyle and had less of a rivalry than Plymouth-Exeter. Truly great gesture from you guys.
IJN
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by IJN »

We reached the £500 target this afternoon, the money has been transferred to the Green Taverners.
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

Had an email from the TUST today saying they had a meeting and sorted out the issues that were there so thats something positive to go along with the fantastic gesture from the Argyle fans.
wozzer
Trialist
Trialist

Post by wozzer »