Have Steve Breed and Deano invested money ?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Leroy
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Have Steve Breed and Deano invested money ?

Post by Leroy »

This isn't a criticism more an observation but on reading the Herald today it appears that Steve and Deano have been 'co-opted' on the board and are not investors I was always under the impression that they'd put their own money in with the rest of the consortium but this doesn't appear to be the case.

Have I read the article wrong ?
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

That's how I understand it. They were/are the public face of the consortium/board but haven't actually bought any shares. They have been employed in roles that have a place at the table in board meetings.
I was actually going to start a new thread about their roles but may add my thoughts here in a while.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

We have seen under the Bristow reign that money is not the be all and end all.
I now have a greater level of confidence that the correct footballing decisions will be made with these two sitting round the board room table.
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

I don't want to be negative, or start a flame war. I would just like some discussion....

I have some reservations with the new setup.

Dean Edwards has been appointed the Director Of Football. On the face of it this role is to take care of the day to day running of the footballing side of the business. With the youth team disbanded and no reserve team on the horizon and a manager put in charge of the first team what exactly will Deano be doing besides acting as a chief scout?

I have never had the pleasure of meeting Steve Breed but I am sure he is a great guy and obviously a great cheerleader for the club. I'm seeing lots of people praising his energy and enthusiasm which are both important attributes to bring to the role of Chief Executive, however I am concerned whether he has the required business acumen, nous or experience for such an important role being in charge of the day to day running of the business as a whole.
I am aware he ran the travel scheme and he may well have other, more relevant experience but nothing that seems to have been publicised.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

He has the experience you are referring to, Phil.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

PhilGull wrote:I don't want to be negative, or start a flame war. I would just like some discussion....

I have some reservations with the new setup.

Dean Edwards has been appointed the Director Of Football. On the face of it this role is to take care of the day to day running of the footballing side of the business. With the youth team disbanded and no reserve team on the horizon and a manager put in charge of the first team what exactly will Deano be doing besides acting as a chief scout?

I have never had the pleasure of meeting Steve Breed but I am sure he is a great guy and obviously a great cheerleader for the club. I'm seeing lots of people praising his energy and enthusiasm which are both important attributes to bring to the role of Chief Executive, however I am concerned whether he has the required business acumen, nous or experience for such an important role being in charge of the day to day running of the business as a whole.
I am aware he ran the travel scheme and he may well have other, more relevant experience but nothing that seems to have been publicised.
I guess that Dean wants 80's style football / footballers and the manager will be supervised in order to make this happen.
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
eddyh
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Jason Fowler

Post by eddyh »

Looks a lot to me like positioning nice little jobs for themselves in the new set up. Not sure how many million pound companies Steve Breed has run so the jury is out there for me. Dean Edwards however has done a dreadful job on the commercial side in my view so I've little or no faith in his ability as DoF (like we need one of those, as pointed out already). If another group had taken over I'd have probably rather they would have replaced him than our manager based on performance over the last few years
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

Why do we always have to look for negatives in everything.???!
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Dean Edwards as commercial manager was probably in the same situation as a top chef locked in the cloakroom and unable to get into his kitchen.
But why, even at this early stage, all the doubt, negativity, and implied criticism? If Edwards and Steve Breed are the ones who made it all happen, then they should be on the board. It's their first week, so for heaven's sake give them all a chance. There's nothing more to be said.
teeboo100
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: alex russell

Post by teeboo100 »

Incredible
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

teeboo100 wrote:Incredible
Ignore the trash Steve and do not let it lessen the passion for what you are doing.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

teeboo100 wrote:Incredible
Seconded mate.

Don't worry, most of us will give you at least a week before we start moaning! :~D
eddyh
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Jason Fowler

Post by eddyh »

Gullscorer wrote:Dean Edwards as commercial manager was probably in the same situation as a top chef locked in the cloakroom and unable to get into his kitchen.
Oh please let's not recycle his own comments that were a bit naff anyway. My observation is that he was employed as commercial manager and was bloody awful at it based on everything I saw. That big white elephant between the pop side and and the away end pretty much sums up his contribution. He obviously fancies himself as being able to run the football club and maybe he will be able to do it. My view is that he has been a failure in his last post and can feel pretty lucky to basically be promoted !! I really do wish the new owners the best of luck and it's pretty clear that they simply cannot afford to get too many things wrong so hopefully they haven't got appointments wrong already. Time will tell on that
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

eddyh wrote: Oh please let's not recycle his own comments that were a bit naff anyway. My observation is that he was employed as commercial manager and was bloody awful at it based on everything I saw. That big white elephant between the pop side and and the away end pretty much sums up his contribution. He obviously fancies himself as being able to run the football club and maybe he will be able to do it. My view is that he has been a failure in his last post and can feel pretty lucky to basically be promoted !! I really do wish the new owners the best of luck and it's pretty clear that they simply cannot afford to get too many things wrong so hopefully they haven't got appointments wrong already. Time will tell on that
I was not aware the screen lost money? It's installation was paid for, can't imagine it's that expensive to run, and probably means we can charge sponsors more. I would be surprised if it costs us.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Any chance you have a kid who was in the youth system eddyh? If so then the blame lies with the outgoing board for the consequences that the new board have had to put into place.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/