Chapell Departs

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
BayGull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jools Holland

Post by BayGull »

PhilGull wrote: Who was the last big money signing to succeed at Plainmoor?
Leon Constantine!!! :clap:
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

I think as individuals all the players are ok but the problem is confidence and having a manager that believes in you. The main problem at Torquay is that to many people know how much each player is earning and this causes conflict within a team.
All contracts should be confidential.
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

arcadia wrote:I think as individuals all the players are ok but the problem is confidence and having a manager that believes in you. The main problem at Torquay is that to many people know how much each player is earning and this causes conflict within a team.
All contracts should be confidential.
Don't agree that all the players are ok as individuals. I think many in this squad are average Conf players and this has been proven by the results. Allot don't have good ball control, not good enough for this level, the accuracy in passing for even this level is not good enough either.

Chappel has been lauded on here in previous seasons by some, but not me. I said last year, yes he is tricky and can beat a player but his crossing is woeful. So as I stated a year ago "No point".

I do hope he has a new start, resurrects his career and proves he can do it, really do! Maybe this will be the move he needs, so best of luck Jordan. It didn't work out here at all really, and that is unfortunate.
TUST MEMBER
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Gullscorer wrote:By the way, whenever I go to these newspaper websites I always get annoying pop-up Flash video advertisements, so I finally decided to do something about it. I'm no computer expert, far from it, but I found the following solution. This is for Internet Explorer, but there may be similar or better solutions for Chrome or Firefox. Some of you may find it useful:

Click on 'Tools', then on 'Manage Add-ons'. Look on the list for 'Shockwave Flash' and click on that. Finally, click on 'Remove all sites'. Instead of the pop-up videos, all you will get now is a prompt, so you can decide whether or not to look at them.
I forgot to add: click twice on the 'Shockwave Flash' item, to bring up the box containing the 'Remove all Sites' option.. :-D
withawhy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by withawhy »

"a player who CH failed to get the best out of, and that could have been down to homesickness maybe, and partly down to how he was managed."

I suspect that the way that he was "managed" and hardly used as a regular player is the main reason why he has left. It would not surprise me if he went on to play at a higher level and, as is usual it seems, we will have lost some potential income on a transfer fee.

However, if he really wanted to return closer to his roots and he was unsure of ever getting a regular place, then probably not a lot of point keeping him.

Let us hope that his replacement is at least as good and is not just a "cheaper" option.
eddyh
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Jason Fowler

Post by eddyh »

Can't see him being anything other than a lower league or non league player. I've always quite liked him as he can be exciting on his day and puts the required effort in. However, his days are very rare and his end product is generally appalling. Good luck to him but don't think for one minute that we've somehow let a diamond through our grasp. People kept saying that about Nathan Craig but he has proved them wrong by doing absolutely nothing since leaving us. Contrary to it being constantly spouted on here, I can't actually think of many who have been released by us and then gone on to a decent career recently. Let's be honest, if you can't shine at Torquay, you're a very average player at best!
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

Chapell, for me, is a failure by the club and the management of CH.

I'm not saying he would have set the world alight for us, but from the couple times I saw him play he had a directness which we have needed on the wings for quite some time. I saw him as a newer style winger who is basically a forward rather than an old fashioned wide midfielder. Playing in a front 3 on the right I think would get the best out of him.

The problem is, he wasn't used this way. He has been used as a wide midfielder with the goal to cross in to the strikers, which is not his way of playing.

Our failure to utilise him in his natural style of play is what has lost us a nice transfer fee here.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
eddyh
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by eddyh »

Do you think our full backs are good enough for us to play without wingers?
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

LOL they aren't good enough with wingers.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

eddyh wrote:Can't see him being anything other than a lower league or non league player. I've always quite liked him as he can be exciting on his day and puts the required effort in. However, his days are very rare and his end product is generally appalling. Good luck to him but don't think for one minute that we've somehow let a diamond through our grasp. People kept saying that about Nathan Craig but he has proved them wrong by doing absolutely nothing since leaving us. Contrary to it being constantly spouted on here, I can't actually think of many who have been released by us and then gone on to a decent career recently. Let's be honest, if you can't shine at Torquay, you're a very average player at best!
I cannot think of a single player in the last 20 years to have been released by Torquay united because they weren't good enough going on to better things afterwards.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
eddyh
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by eddyh »

Luke Gutteridge was a mistake but hardly a huge loss. Can't think of any others though
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Part of me did wonder why he went from playing v Braintree to out of the squad and then packed off to Grimsby, all with in a few days. He did get some personal dogs abuse from a small section of popside in that match, and maybe a few words were said during CH's now famous lock ins, guess one thing may have led to another JC may have said shove your club perhaps.
Formerly known as forevertufc
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

eddyh wrote:Do you think our full backs are good enough for us to play without wingers?
Good to see you obviously know nothing about modern football. They still have to work defensively.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
eddyh
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by eddyh »

cambgull wrote: Good to see you obviously know nothing about modern football. They still have to work defensively.
I bow to your obviously superior knowledge. if you think that 3 forward players cover the full backs as well as two out and out wide men then that's fine and you are more than entitled to your opinion regardless of how misguided it may be