Who?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

Football managers certainly get better through periods of inactivity. Seems to have been completely forgotten how bad we were towards the end of Lings tenure.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Fonda wrote:Football managers certainly get better through periods of inactivity. Seems to have been completely forgotten how bad we were towards the end of Lings tenure.
I blame Alan Knill

:devil:

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

Not forgotten by me!

I was losing patience with him before he left. The terrible attendance at Exeter (even though it was on the telly) for his first game missing showed how frustrated people were getting.

I think you may be able to make an argument that it was his illness that caused his seemingly stubborn refusal to make any changes to a team that was performing increasingly poorly. He obviously didn't get ill overnight. However we the public will never know that for sure.

For me we need an experienced conference manager. I was never buckles biggest fan but it is undeniable that his experience of being around at a conference level management team for a few years stood him in good stead when he took us over. He brought in nicholson, Philips, todd, zebroski, Hargreaves, Sills - all players who he had seen competitively at that level. We need a manager with this knowledge in place to make the most of our budget next season.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Fonda »

Kit_robin wrote:Not forgotten by me!

I was losing patience with him before he left. The terrible attendance at Exeter (even though it was on the telly) for his first game missing showed how frustrated people were getting.

I think you may be able to make an argument that it was his illness that caused his seemingly stubborn refusal to make any changes to a team that was performing increasingly poorly. He obviously didn't get ill overnight. However we the public will never know that for sure.

For me we need an experienced conference manager. I was never buckles biggest fan but it is undeniable that his experience of being around at a conference level management team for a few years stood him in good stead when he took us over. He brought in nicholson, Philips, todd, zebroski, Hargreaves, Sills - all players who he had seen competitively at that level. We need a manager with this knowledge in place to make the most of our budget next season.
His knowledge of the level we were playing at was his greatest attribute. It shouldn't be forgotten that the huge budget he was given helped him massively too!
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Fonda »

Gullscorer wrote:A huge budget would help any manager..
Of course. But being the only TUFC manager to have enjoyed a (relatively speaking) large budget, his achievements can't really be compared fairly with others.
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Buckle had a big budget and plenty of backing, he is a snake in the grass and I for one would not welcome him back with open arms.
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
rooster
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Bodin

Post by rooster »

Fonda wrote:It was wrong when Hargreaves was making noises about Knill's job, and it's wrong that Ling is doing it about Hargreaves.

As for who we should get, we need to forget about 'previous connections' and just give it to the best man for the job. Actually invite applications, and after interview decide who offers the best chance of success - not who has the most recognisable name, or who would be most popular. The next appointment could prove to be one of the most important this club has ever made. Because we're currently standing on the edge of a precipice. Make the wrong decision now, and we might be part-time and further down the pyramid by the time this manager is being relieved.

I think we have to look for a man with experience or knowledge of the level we're at (that is what served Bucks well - as well as shed loads of cash obviously). Maybe move away from the lower-league 'journey-men' managers we normally get linked with. Maybe think outside the box a bit. Perhaps there are some excellent young managers in the league or two below ours that none of us have heard of. It might be a name that initially fails to get pulses racing, but it might just work.
The way he was treated and the feeling of rejection, abandonment call it whatever you like was not easy for him, so I think we can forgive him a few tweets (retweeting)........!
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Fonda »

I'm sure 'we' as supporters can. But I doubt Hargreaves appreciates it too much.
DevonYellow
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Jean Pierre-Simb

Post by DevonYellow »

If, or more likely when, Hargreaves goes I don't think we should go back to any of our previous managers.

We should be looking forward, this is a very different situation to any we have been in before. The cliche never go back is often used in football largely because it's proven to be good advice.
rooster
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Bodin

Post by rooster »

Im sure he's pretty thick skinned, after all if he's read this forum he will know what fans feel........and as someone said on another subject he's been on TV talking about other west country clubs, I'm surprised he has time at the moment with the way things are going........
Sam97_
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Verma

Post by Sam97_ »

Interesting replies, personally, going out on a limb, I'd give CH another go next season, fair crack at the whip financially, building a proper team. If he was to be sacked however, which obviously wouldn't be heart breaking; I'd love to see my favourite manager in my 10 years, Lingy back (I remember suggesting that we re hire him last season and was called an idiot by many, how times change), but I admired what Mark Yates did at Cheltenham, despite it going wrong before he was sacked this season. On a budget he took them to the brink of league one, a similar way Ling did with us. But Sturrock has a background that could suit us. I also wonder what Gary Whaddock is up to, took Aldershot up (a team with on Ben Harding in, and that's an achievement!)
Keep the faith.
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

Have a listen to David Thomas's podcast very good points

http://www.torquayheraldexpress.co.uk/T ... story.html
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!