Is Hargreaves fit for purpose?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

Somebody should have taken urgent action to replace the Tactics Board after CH broke his hand smashing it up on Saturday!

How the hell can we manage without one? ;-)
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

When a new manager, any manager, is employed, it's normal to expect some kind of 'new manager bounce'. However bad the players are, if the right appointment has been made, the new man will get something from that group of players that the previous incumbent couldn't.

12 months ago, some of us expressed alarm that there had been no noticeable improvement in performances after Hargreaves recruitment. We were shouted down - this was Knill's team, it's not fair to judge him on it. Greavsie was apparently the only manager in any profession anywhere, that had no responsibility for the way those under his stewardship performed.

He's now been in situ for 15 months. And he still hasn't had any impact, and he's still being excused by some. He has had no tangible positive effect on any of these players - those that were here when he arrived, or those that he has subsequently signed.

When he was given the job, some us questioned the decision as being too 'easy'. He's a very popular ex-player so the fans will love it. I wonder if perhaps there ought to have been other considerations? You know, such as how do we know this bloke can actually manage?

I never expected Hargreaves to be a tactical genius. What I did expect is that he'd inspire the young lads in the dressing room to want to improve and want to play for him. But there have been no signs that he can even do that. Can we afford another season like this one in the hope he'll come good? There have been precious few signs it's likely.

Is Hargreaves fit for purpose? Probably not. But seemingly only 3 or 4 people currently associated with the club are, so it's a good fit.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Sunnysideup
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Manse

Post by Sunnysideup »

stefano wrote:Somebody should have taken urgent action to replace the Tactics Board after CH broke his hand smashing it up on Saturday!

How the hell can we manage without one? ;-)
I'd agree with the inference that it doesnt seemed to be used for anything, maybe noughts and crosses ?
Apathy Rules...............it's ok though, nobody's that fussed about it........
wodger of awabia
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Carol Vorderman..eh?

Post by wodger of awabia »

The question is academic now, until new owners are found & take control. Any new manager will want to know if he has a budget for new players, & if any funding will run out halfway through the season.
Sunnysideup
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Sunnysideup »

Fonda wrote:He's now been in situ for 15 months. And he still hasn't had any impact, and he's still being excused by some. He has had no tangible positive effect on any of these players - those that were here when he arrived, or those that he has subsequently signed.
Apart from those players that seem to have gone backwards perhaps ?

Bowman has now been overtaken in the league goal ratio stakes by Hawley (I didnt believe it either when I saw it posted elsewhere, so i checked. Same goals with Hawley on less appearances)

Young has gone from being touted by some as a valued asset in the transfer market, to someone that doesnt seem able to tackle, pass regularly to the same colour shirt or run with the ball past an opponent.

I (and im sure others as well) could sit here and pick holes in pretty much all the squad and the way they've regressed, be they CH signings or not (though to be fair, it would be harsh to do that for those long term injured as its not like they can effect any change).

You know what though? Sad to say, I'm at the stage now where I just cant be bothered any more...
Apathy Rules...............it's ok though, nobody's that fussed about it........
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gloomy Gull »

Southampton Gull wrote: With 5 players that played under Knill that's some way from being HIS team.............
Maybe ..BUT Hargreaves selected them to play !
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

Unfortunately so. Hence me specifically saying he's had no 'tangible POSITIVE effect' on any of them...
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

:keepie:
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by arcadia »

brucie wrote:I see Ofori didn't feature tonight. He is raw but causes defenders problems. Nealry scored when he came on against Wrexham in the second leg and hasn't been seen again since. If he is a worse player than Campbell then I'm a dutchman.
Surely if Hargreaves is bringing players in on loan they should be better than we have already - not worse.
Chester had players on loan form Bradford and Fleetwood. We have Cammpbell and Reid who appear to be worse than useless.
Yet more muddling mismanagement from the manager.
Was it his choice though? :keepie:
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gloomy Gull »

Do you know that he doesn't pick his playing squad or are you inferring that is the case ?
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by arcadia »

Gloomy Gull wrote:Do you know that he doesn't pick his playing squad or are you inferring that is the case ?
I think the new MD comes from Oxford United.
I have been at clubs where a manager has been asked do you want this player if I get him you must play him and as he comes from Oxford it makes you wonder. :keepie:
Sunnysideup
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Sunnysideup »

Or perhaps a more simple reason could be he's got a niggling injury?
BayGull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jools Holland

Post by BayGull »

Quote Chris Hargreaves On Official Site: “There may be a time soon when I say to myself, to the fans and the people in the Boardroom that I’m looking at building for next season."

So the penny has finally dropped that he is never going to make a career as a football manager!!!

:goodpost:
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

arcadia wrote: I think the new MD comes from Oxford United.
I have been at clubs where a manager has been asked do you want this player if I get him you must play him and as he comes from Oxford it makes you wonder. :keepie:
Enough about Watcombe 3rds :keepie: :keepie:
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by arcadia »

Southampton Gull wrote: Enough about Watcombe 3rds :keepie: :keepie:
At least I would have respect for Watcombe 3rds. :keepie: