FA Trophy Quarter-Final vs. FC United of Manchester

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Think Dave.P may have been on about plastic Man.U fans, Torquay fans are peaceful and friendly, won't get those problems here IVB, could get a bumper crowd for this one, work with a couple of real Man.U fans who do go to the games, and they're on about coming to this match, wonder how many others will.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

I'm expecting a big crowd for this one. FCUM should bring 1000+ given the fan base size and the magnitude of the game. There's also the added incentive for Man Utd fans in Torbay to go with the slashed prices a real appetiser.

The club really need to promote this discount and not just with an ad in the herald. Go to the schools, keep promoting it! The FA Trophy is a bit of a financial bonus so we may as well maximise revenue.
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

Be interesting to talk to FC of Manchester fans about supporter ownership. Generally support it and might be the right direction for us to take in the future.Good game to promote joining TUST.
hami
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Mike Norton

Post by hami »

Behind-the-Gulls wrote:Be interesting to talk to FC of Manchester fans about supporter ownership. Generally support it and might be the right direction for us to take in the future.Good game to promote joining TUST.
Hi mate

FC fan in peace..

Its always a pleasure to meet up with other fans and share a few beers and a chat, you will find 99.9% of FC fans are like this. If you are serious about looking at the fan owned route then some of our supporters are down from Fri-Mon so could be an idea to catch up and have a more sensible chat on Sunday? One or two of the guys stopping over have done presentations on fan ownership at several Supporters Direct meetings.
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

hami wrote: Hi mate

FC fan in peace..

Its always a pleasure to meet up with other fans and share a few beers and a chat, you will find 99.9% of FC fans are like this. If you are serious about looking at the fan owned route then some of our supporters are down from Fri-Mon so could be an idea to catch up and have a more sensible chat on Sunday? One or two of the guys stopping over have done presentations on fan ownership at several Supporters Direct meetings.
Thanks for this-will contact TUST officers and see if a meet-up can be arranged.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

Don't be so sure. this club formed by fans breaking away from the official Manure club are very well supported. and seeing as they have a huge fans base may well take a lot away with them to have a holiday even allowing for it being February.
They drew a team in the Blackpool area some years ago and treated it as if it was a European cup match. Many posts on a thread at that time referred to it as such. and the match was switched to Blackppol FC's stadium as there was a large crowd suggested. over 8,000 turned up for that one.
Now they have drawn us in the cup. we are a well known holiday destination and I have a feeling they will surprise us with the number who will want to come given that it's a Saturday match. with the reduction in match day prices I think it will be a major draw for them. will be disappointed if that is not the case. they also have a lot of money and I don't think they will be quite the pushovers you think they will be.
One word of warning though. some of their fans have been known to be chuck outs from the heady days of crowd trouble at Old Trafford. I wouldn't be surprised to see some of them at Plainmoor. They have had a reputation for trouble at some games in the past few seasons. Usually when they have played at other clubs with a history between them. but it isn't always so.
BTW unrelated to that. Their crowds have been bigger than ours on occasions up to this season and I thing you will find they are on par with us getting just about 2,000 regularly. and to that end they are moving into a brand new stadium with 4,500 capacity later on. This is their tenth season and with that they are celebrating their birthday with a match in their new stadium against Benfica. I wouldn't be surprised to see them challenging for a place in the league in the next few years.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
redmintgull
Trialist
Trialist

Post by redmintgull »

Glostergull wrote:Don't be so sure. this club formed by fans breaking away from the official Manure club are very well supported. and seeing as they have a huge fans base may well take a lot away with them to have a holiday even allowing for it being February.
They drew a team in the Blackpool area some years ago and treated it as if it was a European cup match. Many posts on a thread at that time referred to it as such. and the match was switched to Blackppol FC's stadium as there was a large crowd suggested. over 8,000 turned up for that one.
Now they have drawn us in the cup. we are a well known holiday destination and I have a feeling they will surprise us with the number who will want to come given that it's a Saturday match. with the reduction in match day prices I think it will be a major draw for them. will be disappointed if that is not the case. they also have a lot of money and I don't think they will be quite the pushovers you think they will be.
One word of warning though. some of their fans have been known to be chuck outs from the heady days of crowd trouble at Old Trafford. I wouldn't be surprised to see some of them at Plainmoor. They have had a reputation for trouble at some games in the past few seasons. Usually when they have played at other clubs with a history between them. but it isn't always so.
BTW unrelated to that. Their crowds have been bigger than ours on occasions up to this season and I thing you will find they are on par with us getting just about 2,000 regularly. and to that end they are moving into a brand new stadium with 4,500 capacity later on. This is their tenth season and with that they are celebrating their birthday with a match in their new stadium against Benfica. I wouldn't be surprised to see them challenging for a place in the league in the next few years.
Don't be so sure of what? The mention of a well-known garden compost in your opening line maybe provides a clue to your mindset but is unnecessary!
The attendance v Blackpool Mechanics at Bloomfield Rd in our 1st season was 4300 not 8000.
Hopefully we won't be pushovers but we do NOT 'have a lot of money'. We need every penny to complete our new ground and I think you'd be amazed how small our playing budgets are.
We're all looking forward to visiting Torquay (Torbay?). Hope it's a good game and the best team on the day wins.
If anyone is interested, take a look at our website for plenty of background and information about our club :-
http://fc-utd.co.uk/newsmain.php
You may need to visit for a replay! :lol:
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

redmintgull wrote:
You may need to visit for a replay! :lol:
Only if you don't take your chances in the first game! ;-)
zoolander
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Helen off the Telly

Post by zoolander »

Hi an FC Utd fan here.

Just wanted to say how impressed we've all been with how your club has handled this tie so far, the pay on the gate and tickets for kids for just £1 is a fabulous gesture.

Me and my 7 year old lad will be coming down from Stockport (it's not just city fans that live there) and we're making a weekend of it. Really excited by a really great tie, just can't wait.

And remember, win or loose.....on the booze, looking forward to having a few pints and a chat with some of you Torquay fan too.

I come in peace, feel free to shoot to kill ;-)
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

We hope you have a great weekend, and we'll do our very best to help you focus on your league promotion efforts thereafter.. :~D

Forecast for the 7th is cloudy but dry. So bring an umbrella.. :)
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

Really hope the club steps it up this week about advertising the reduced prices and how important this game is!
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

There is a flyer going around on FB, do not know if it's something the club has done or fans, but it's pretty good who ever done it. Oh could you do us a favour ROAR and change the thread title, to match day thread for this game, love to attempt a write a preview for the game later in the week, and rather start a new thread I'll put on here, cheers.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

hami wrote: Hi mate

FC fan in peace..

Have sent you a PM re meeting up.
hami
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Mike Norton

Post by hami »

just replied mate

give him a ring anytime
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

I set up a page on Facebook called 'The Yellow Army' a while ago but let it go a bit with little activity over the past year. I've given it a clean up and got it active again and put together a flyer for the game. I don't know what it is with Torquay United but they need to address the fact online and social media marketing is the way forward in the modern day. The post itself with the flyer attached has had 50 shares and reached over 3500 people when I last looked at the insights. The 'Torquay Unitedfc' fan page also shared the it which again, is a FAN-run group.

How hard is it to put together a few graphics and spread it around the web? Wake up TUFC!

I saw that Cheltenham fans funded this billboard, a cracking idea with a bit of banter intended towards Man United fans! Again an example of fans doing a lot of the club's marketing for them, however I don't know the ins and out of CTFC and their marketing schemes.
Here's the link http://www.gloucestershireecho.co.uk/be ... story.html

Anyway, here's the graphic, share it around your social circles as much as possible, we want 4,000+ there on Saturday! There's no point dropping prices if it's not advertised.