Pearce, Downes or MacDonald

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.

Who should play at centre back vs Grimsby?

Pearce and Downes
20%
Pearce and MacDonald
32%
Downes and MacDonald
45%
Other
2%

Total votes: 44

Bigman
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Bigman »

I haven't seen Pearce this season, but would go with the other two simply because they were the partnership when we had our amazing run of form. Pearce and Downes were together most of last season and we didn't do well so I'd be concerned their partnership breeds unconfidence (or whatever the actual word for that is).
YellowMurphy
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Brian Saah

Post by YellowMurphy »

Bigman wrote:I haven't seen Pearce this season, but would go with the other two simply because they were the partnership when we had our amazing run of form. Pearce and Downes were together most of last season and we didn't do well so I'd be concerned their partnership breeds unconfidence (or whatever the actual word for that is).
But Pearce is a bit quicker! We must play him! Can you not remember last season when he was 'amazing'..?
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

The best thing for Torquay is that McDonald has stepped up and been a leader, he's been outstanding.
Downes always struggles against someone who ruffs him up but has played well this year.
Pearce more consistent than Downes but not match fit yet.

As a pairing Downes and McDonald as we've not seen Pearce enough this season. :keepie:
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

YellowMurphy wrote: But Pearce is a bit quicker! We must play him! Can you not remember last season when he was 'amazing'..?
As Philgull rightly posted earlier, Downes is a left-sided central defender. Both McDonald and Pearce are right-sided. It does make a difference and it showed at times last Saturday. As Arcadia has posted, Angus has grown into the role as leader and has been immense for us this season. It's really, really tough on whoever is left out but I feel CH should stick with the pairing that has done so well for us so far.
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

Downes and MacDonald for me, regardless of any shortcomings, both play with a passion and desire to win that Pearce has failed to show since being given his chance this season. Not only that but both, Downes in particular, are also such a threat at set pieces.
Last edited by CP Gull on 11 Oct 2014, 20:37, edited 1 time in total.
YellowMurphy
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by YellowMurphy »

CP Gull wrote:Downes and MacDonald for me, regardless of any shortcomings, both play with a passion and desire to win that Pearce has failed to show since being given his chance this season. Not only that but Both, Downes in particular, are also such a threat at set pieces.
But Pearce was really good last season and apparently that's all that matters?
Maxiboy1
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Loram

Post by Maxiboy1 »

After last night, it has to be Downes and Mac. First 2 goals for Alfreton, Pearce has to do better with the initial headers.
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

What about the Courtney Richards and Luke Young centre back pairing option???? FFS.
Maxiboy1
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Loram

Post by Maxiboy1 »

No thanks RJC. Downes and Mac. FFS!
Sunnysideup
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Manse

Post by Sunnysideup »

YellowMurphy wrote: But Pearce was really good last season and apparently that's all that matters?
Was he? In a team where no one (apart from Ricey, and Marquis maybe in the few games he was here?) performed well with any consistency, to say he was one of the "better" players isnt the same as him being "really good". He was just as capable as any of the other defenders at playing the ball to an opponent, missing headers, poor positioning etc etc
Apathy Rules...............it's ok though, nobody's that fussed about it........
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Had voted for Pearce/MacDonald, based on yesterday couldn't blame CH if he went right back to Downes/MacDonald.
Formerly known as forevertufc
YellowMurphy
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by YellowMurphy »

Sunnysideup wrote: Was he? In a team where no one (apart from Ricey, and Marquis maybe in the few games he was here?) performed well with any consistency, to say he was one of the "better" players isnt the same as him being "really good". He was just as capable as any of the other defenders at playing the ball to an opponent, missing headers, poor positioning etc etc
Was being sarcastic. MacDownes are the real deal, not sure what everyone sees in Pearce. The myth that he's better than Downes (or Mac for that matter) really does baffle me.

Get the feeling that if we'd have had Downes in the team we would've had somebody sorting the defence out, attacking the ball and preventing the flick ons which Alfreton profited from so easily.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

I'd voted for Pearce and MacDonald as I deemed them to be "the future", in that they are both young and could be here for a while. However, based on the showing last night (and giving consideration to the fact that Pearce was pretty much playing by himself), Pearce didn't do anything to convince me he deserved to play again.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
StretfordGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by StretfordGull »

Yesterday was unquestionably the worst defensive display from a Torquay side that I have ever seen.
This is partly due to the fact we had a short midfielder in there, but also because Krystian Pearce was terrible. Absolutely terrible.
It seemed that every long ball caused sheer panic in the box. Hawley played really well off the shoulder and had a field day against Richards and their number 9 won practically every ball against Pearce. If we were playing a decent side, we would've conceded 10 goals.
Therefore, Pearce has to be dropped. You cannot perform that ineptly and keep your place.
Macdonald and Downes have to come back, regardless of how ill-disciplined they are.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Allowing for "unavailability" due to injury, suspension, loss of form and call up to International duty :rofl: , the squad needs a minimum of 4 central defenders. We got 'em : MacDonaldDucky, Downer, Pearce and blanked Jake. There will be more times this season when we are missing our first choice central defenders. Gawd f*cking help us. I always wondered what the "H" stood for in the exclamation "JESUS H CHRIST!"

After watching non action from Hargreaves during the Alfredtown disgrace, it now becomes apparent.

:-/
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"