The Launa Windows Stadium

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
torq2u
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Ken Sandercock
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by torq2u »

This is a proud day. We've now got ourselves a STADIUM and not just a GROUND!!! ^.^
TUST member 200 ;-)
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

well we got some decent money into the pot. maybe we can pay a few debts off and CH can build on what he has done so far.
But I am for one starting to get confused with all these names.
So now we are the Luana vanarama in bananarama lala land league. I think i need to have a lay down.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
exilegull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by exilegull »

Richinns wrote:Could not give two sh1ts. .
Money well spent for Launa Windows then :~D
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Interesting to see how much we get for the 4 years naming rights. It's very pleasing that the firm is run by our own fans.
Lucy
yeovilgull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by yeovilgull »

I would just like to offer my thanks to Launa Windows for their sponsorship of our club and I hope it works out well for them as well as the club.

Like most, I will continue to refer to it as Plainmoor but I suspect media reports will start to refer to it as The Launa Windows Stadium and they will get their publicity that way. I think the only time supporters really adopt a new name is where there has been a change in ground at the same time at a different location, hence why Maine Road, Highbury, Highfield Road etc are no longer referred to. Will non Torquay fans gradually refer to Plainmoor under its new name over time? I don't know, I suppose it depends on how often it gets publicity under the new name.

Anyway, great to see new money coming into the club.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

I'm pleased that the club has secured some an additional revenue, although no one will ever call it by this new name. It's Plainmoor. It's simplicity is it's charm.
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Understand the sensitivities esp from certain old duffers that have been going since the sixties :whistle: the name isn't going to change what they call it. Any cash is always going to be welcome in these lean times.

So how about a compromise?

What about Launmoor,

Or Plainna,
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

It will take the BBC sports 4 years to realise the name change on our home matches. I must admit I am surprised by the positive feedback from you local forum members. I remember st james(Newcastle) being called the sports direct arena causing outrage. Though it will always be plainmoor, it won't be for 4 years. So I applaud the needed finances in return for our historical name. Must surely be worth 100k a year?
Lucy
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

A bit long perhaps but why not 'The Launa Windows Stadium, Plainmoor'? Keeps everyone reasonably happy. But as others have said it will always be Plainmoor and any extra cash is a boost for the club.
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

Not fussed at this at all, if seomone asks where TUFC plays i'll say Plainmoor

The club will gain some much needed ££ and the only times it will be fully mentioned is in media write ups
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
IlshamSchmilsham
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Alan Welsh

Post by IlshamSchmilsham »

"Plainmoor" will always be Torquay's home, whatever the stadium signage says, and having attended my first game there more than 50 years ago I'm unlikely to want to describe it in any other way. Having said that, there's no real point in being precious or overly-sentimental about this kind of development - it's the (commercial) way of today's football world, and to be honest we're quite fortunate to find a sponsor prepared to commit to a four year rights deal with what could be a Conference club for the whole of that period. I would imagine, therefore, that the annual payment might be set on a sliding scale according to the division the club is in, so if we get to the Championship in time for year four we could be in for some serious dosh!
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Like everyone else, it'll always be Plainmoor so this has no impact whatsoever.

But if going down this route has brought the club some revenue then great. And at least it is with a company who are synonymous with the Westcountry so at least it feels like we haven't completely sold our soul
bobby93
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by bobby93 »

What an incredible difference in posts on here and the club's Facebook page. We are apparently a much more accepting bunch.

The overiding feeling is similar though - the name doesn't mean much. Plainmoor as an area has not moved, so it still works.

Feeling pretty pleased I didn't name the zine after the location of the stadium now - Hele won't let me down...
FINAL ISSUE (#13) & back issues of TUFC fanzine Highway to Hele available now from http://www.highwaytohele.bigcartel.com

Twitter: @highwaytohele
Facebook: facebook.com/highwaytohele
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

Dave_Pougher wrote:Understand the sensitivities esp from certain old duffers that have been going since the sixties :whistle: the name isn't going to change what they call it. Any cash is always going to be welcome in these lean times.

So how about a compromise?

What about Launmoor,

Or Plainna,
Noooooo. for goodness sake. some goon will come along and nickname us the lawnmower stadium
bobby93 wrote:
What an incredible difference in posts on here and the club's Facebook page. We are apparently a much more accepting bunch.

The overiding feeling is similar though - the name doesn't mean much. Plainmoor as an area has not moved, so it still works.

Feeling pretty pleased I didn't name the zine after the location of the stadium now - Hele won't let me down...
Wanna Bet. someone will come along and sponser Hele and it will become known and Heles angels. or Heles Bells. oh Helefire. what have I started now!
Last edited by Glostergull on 17 Sep 2014, 15:06, edited 1 time in total.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843