Is it me?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Dave_Pougher wrote:Am I correct in saying that TQY's longest successive league wining streak is 5 games. Roll on Woking and Dover?
It was eight back in 98(?) Second half of season to take us to play offs but I think Buckle's team broke when they set the clean sheet record too...?
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

next match is the benchmark to set our standard by.Woking are not to be taken lightly. the last 4 matches won on the trot. second in the table. This will tell us if we have what it takes
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Kernowgull »

I believe the record is 8, from when we had Jason Roberts on loan and Rodney Jack, Jack, Jack up front. I think in the Buckle, clean sheet record, we drew 0-0 with Notts County. Thats from memory, so happy to be corrected.
Bigman
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Bigman »

Glostergull wrote:next match is the benchmark to set our standard by.Woking are not to be taken lightly. the last 4 matches won on the trot. second in the table. This will tell us if we have what it takes
Last week people were saying Chester and Grimsby would be our benchmarks, now we've beaten them and we're still not sure if we're any good? Can't we just be pleased with how we've done regardless of who it was against and take the next match as it comes? If the team carry on as they have been I don't think we should fear anyone and maybe a few teams will start seeing us as their true test.
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Bigman wrote: Last week people were saying Chester and Grimsby would be our benchmarks, now we've beaten them and we're still not sure if we're any good? Can't we just be pleased with how we've done regardless of who it was against and take the next match as it comes? If the team carry on as they have been I don't think we should fear anyone and maybe a few teams will start seeing us as their true test.

Good post, or maybe it's just you bigman.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Looking at our fixtures having Gateshead, Lincoln and Grimsby away before the end of September was always going to be an early season bench mark, right now our results and performances are bang on, I, like most am seriously enjoying being a Torquay fans once again, been a long time coming.

But, and there is a but here, just being honest, expressing a genuine held opinion and nothing more, I think the fantastic results/ performances on the pitch are papering over some serious cracks off the pitch, unless those cracks are fixed at some point the walls going to crumble, so right now I'm going to enjoy this while it lasts, and hope that I'm wrong.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Yep, good point forever can't argue much with that either, however the point of the thread was that CH. Is doing the best he probably can with what he has at his disposal which under the circumstances is admirable.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Dave_Pougher wrote:Yep, good point forever can't argue much with that either, however the point of the thread was that CH. Is doing the best he probably can with what he has at his disposal which under the circumstances is admirable.
Totally 100 % agree.
Formerly known as forevertufc
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

forevertufc wrote: Totally 100 % agree.
no change there then dave & dave.....

thats Torquay United FC for you.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

forevertufc wrote: Totally 100 % agree.
no change there then dave & dave.....

thats Torquay United FC for you.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

At the start of the season, we were told that Ch had been a budget that could challenge for promotion. I guess many of us doubted that but just perhaps, he actually has been and it is reflected in the players signed and the subsequent results so far.

A few weeks ago, I think most of us could see this was a promising team but still suspected consolidation was our likely aim, especially when just over two weeks ago or less, we were still 14th. I guess we are now expecting a promotion challenge and from what we have seen, from who we have beaten, that expectation is not at all unrealistic.

As for cracks behind the scenes, well, we have been hearing this for a couple of years now. The fact the team travelled on the day v Dartford received a lot of condemnation. I suspect it doesn't take much longer - or maybe even less time - to travel to Cleethorpes, than Dartford but whatever, in the past, that would have still been a day trip but as a Conference club, yesterday's trip was sanctioned with an overnight stay and a session at Derby County's training ground. We cannot really complain about that, so why look for issues where there might not be any.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Rubbish geography is rubbish. Grimsby is over 100 miles further than Dartford and much harder to get to.
Do we know for sure that it's money holding us back from traveling the day before some of these games, and not some other reason?

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

I don't think any of us have any great expectations, we're just enjoying the ride. We can dream though. Every season I dream of the Gulls winning the FA Cup! But, once in a blue moon, we actually achieve some smaller success. How are dreams realised? Step by step, with hard work, positive thinking, support and encouragement. Doubters and moaners and whingers need not apply.

I reckon we need another thirty points to avoid relegation.. :)
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Nah it is just me TQY are playing cack