Grimsby v Torquay United – Saturday 13th September 2014

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I think its a fair comment really. Thompson's pace could change a game whilst to me Sullivan doesn't offer anything.
A bigger test for us tomorrow but we on good form. I could see us getting a result but will go for the draw @ 3.75. Grimsby look way to short at evens (50% chance of winning the game)
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

lesgtfc wrote:Looks like it could be a bit of a scratch side for us tomorrow, with several walking wounded after the "bruising" encounter with Lincoln. There could even be a couple of loan signings in.
Safe journey to all Gulls traveling tomorrow, any idea on the numbers you're expecting to bring up.
http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/New-f ... story.html
It's a game your gaffer is looking forward to as well.
http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/Torqu ... story.html
Thanks for the links Les. With the long distances involved, I shouldn't imagine there will be a huge crowd of Gulls fans, though we often surprise ourselves, given the support we have around the country. Our nearest Conference neighbours are Bristol Rovers, a hundred miles away. Here's hoping the weather will be good..
lesgtfc
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: n/a

Post by lesgtfc »

I suppose a weekend in Cleethorpes is not quite as attractive as a weekend in Torquay. :)

I'm looking forward to coming down there again next month for the weekend and a night out round the Harbour area. (I can't believe that we play you again so quickly. I still can't get used to this bloody Conference Fixture Generator even though this is now our 5th season down here. What the hell is wrong with playing everyone once and then playing them again!)

Just a tip for anyone who wants to sample our famous fish 'n' chips. Remember it's Haddock up here, Cod is only fit for pet food and Yorkie daytrippers round here. I'd steer clear of the chippys on the actual seafront or prom but I'd well recommend either Steels Corner House or Ernie Becketts in The Market Place. Steels is just a sit down restaurant and it's like stepping back in time 40 years but their Jumbo Haddock, chips and mushy peas is legendary. There's also The Ocean Fish Bar on St. Peters Ave too. I'd recommend either of these 3 rather than The Mariners Fish Bar mention in the OP, as although this is handy for the ground it's really a pizza/kebab shop that sell fish 'n' chips.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

A lecture in fish from someone who doesn't live in Brixham. How quaint. ;-)

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP
Watches from: Pop side

Post by taxilady »

born & bred & raised on whiting, was 'ee Matt ? That makes 'ee strong in the arm & thick in the 'ead ! :lol: :clap: :keepie:
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Can't beat the freshly fried, fantastically delicious fishy flavour of dogfish, a.k.a. Rock Salmon, though it's something of an acquired taste, for the chippy connoisseur. Very popular in Korea, I'm told...!! :~D

It's a member of the shark family of fish species, so a good opportunity for someone to cash in by selling dogfish fins to the Koreans and Chinese.. :-D

Or the French.. :)

Oh I forgot, EU countries have already diminished our fish stocks by fishing right up to our shores and ruining our fishermen's livelihoods, thanks to something called the 'Common Fisheries Policy'.. :@
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

Gutted I can't make it to Grimsby, it's only round the corner but it's my mate's stag do. Up the road from us and the last time we went was in their relegation season where we played some amazing attacking football. This is a return home for CH and hopefully he'll leave chuffed with 3 points in the bag. COYY
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

My old man introduced me to Rock a few years ago. I haven't had it for a while, but I do remember it being delicious. I thought it was Vietnam that loved it, but I suppose Korea could be in on the secret too.

Matt.

Sorry everyone, normal service shall be resumed soon, once all the fish talk is over.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

ferrarilover wrote: Sorry everyone, normal service shall be resumed soon, once all the fish talk is over.
I hope so. This really isn't the plaice for it.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

Oh Cod, what have you started?
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

This thread really has turned into a load of Pollocks.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Doesn't matter, just so long as Luke Young back-eels the ball into goal again, though I don't think he'll be the sole goal-scorer, with O'Achie being a weever through Grimsby's defence. A big enough win and we could celebrate with a conger to a suitable tuna.

Will the ref be using his disappearing whiting..??
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Won't be going to this one now unfortunately, hope we come home with the three points nevertheless.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Think it shows how quick our fortunes have changed, for me personally would have said a few weeks ago no hope in this one, now think the team can go there and win, was a CH doubted like a few others and with good reason, however, he's proved me wrong, playing a great style of football, and playing it the way I like personally, and we're starting to do to teams what's been done to us for far to long now.

My only doubt that remains now, is will CH get the right and proper backing, with proper overnight away travel, and funds to go into the loan market to cover injuries as and when they occur, my best felling on that is, no, he will not, I fear the conference may be a comfort zone for some at the club, so going to enjoy this while it lasts and hope it does through to the end of the season.
Formerly known as forevertufc
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Feel it could go anyway tomorrow. Obviously we are due a defeat and we cannot remain unbeaten, so long as it doesn't knock the confidence out of the players when it does come. The current starting XI is worth persevering with, even if tomorrow went wrong.