Southend fan in peace

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

10-14k,eh? So what are you gonna do with the 8-10,000 empty seats every week? I don't dispute your attractiveness to the locals, but I'm just not sure it's the best plan when you've got no cash as it is and, like it or not, SUFC are a L2 club.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

I don't think Southend building such a big stadium is such a ridiculous idea.

Before I moved to these parts I always assumed Southend was just like an essex Torquay, but I was wrong. It is a massive place (and this is genuine, not tounge in cheek). You're literally in urban sprawl from leigh-on-sea/Hockley areas all the way to Shoeburyness. There is a massive catchment area right on their doorstep, let alone considering anywhere along the A127 towards London or the A130 towards Chelmsford. They do suffer a bit from having West Ham fairly close by, but a couple of years decline for the Hammers - which is possible - and a couple of years success for the Shrimpers and a lot of floating supporters will return.

I do think its a case of "build it and they will come". Swansea and particularly Doncaster are great examples. Brighton are another - the long awaited Falmer is 22k IIRC.

I actually have a little soft spot for Southend. Primarily for May 8th 2004, but I also quite enjoy going there for non-football reasons - its almost a home from home!
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Jeff wrote:They do suffer a bit from having West Ham fairly close by, but a couple of years decline for the Hammers - which is possible - and a couple of years success for the Shrimpers and a lot of floating supporters will return.

What happens when West Ham move into the Olympic Stadium and start offering 20,000 "heavily discounted" (or even free!) tickets to watch Premier League football?
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

Well, ok Jeff, you obviously know more about this than I do, but it still seems to me that, based on evidence provided by the Shrimper on here and the article on the BBC site, it does seem a vast and unnecessary expense which the club could easily do without and the funds for which could be redirected to more immediately worthy and needy projects.

By the way...

Hi Shrimpy, :-D thanks for taking the time and all that. Have absolutely nothing against your club (other than having to visit your town on some very unpleasant business) and hope that both our clubs can make the playoffs.

Matt.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

Jerry wrote:
What happens when West Ham move into the Olympic Stadium and start offering 20,000 "heavily discounted" (or even free!) tickets to watch Premier League football?
Wanna bet?

Matt.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

ferrarilover wrote: Wanna bet?

Matt.

Yep.

They won't be moving in until 2014/15 at the earliest. Even if they go down this season there is no chance they won't be back up by then.
shrimperama
New Signing
New Signing

Post by shrimperama »

Ferrarilover you make some great points

Unfortunately we will not have any money until we move and increase revenue as there isnt a lot of money to be made just in football so you need concerts shopping centres and non matchday money to bring the club forward.

We have already sold roots hall to sainsbury's and they are eager to be on site as they want to build one of the biggest supermarkets in britain there.

They cannot do so until we are in our new stadium and given that they are impatient and are investing 21 million i think its fair to say that moving and quickly is best for all concerned and that staying is not an option.

Roots hall just isnt big enough to go any higher than a top league 1 side and although the official capacity is 12500 we have never achievd that with segregation and health and safety. We mananged to get 11,700 odd in for a league two game against yeovil a few years back and we havent been able to match that since. Even the visit of chelsea and man utd yeilded a gate of 11,500 respectively .

Imagine the extra revenue would have brought for those games.

I think like most you would be surprised how many fans a successful southend side could get in . We are currently going through one of the worst spells in our history and still draw 5k almost each game.

I agree that 22k is a bit OTT and maybe a 16k dome wouls serve us better but remember it will be built in phases the first being 14k.

Only time will tell but wether we like it or not its gonna happen and we will have to say a teary goodbye to roots hall sooner or later.
basil75
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by basil75 »

I actually agree with Southend moving to a new, bigger stadium, as bizarre as it may seem.

Southend are in a do or die situation at the moment - they need bigger revenues to survive in the long term and won't achieve it at Roots Hall.

The two main factors in determining how much of your potential support you will attract on a weekly basis are the current level/performance of the team, but also the stadium. A decent new stadium in the right location does increase support, the difficulty is knowing by how much.

Unfortunately I think the same can be said for Plainmoor, as I think our current ground will only ever attract a fraction of potential support. As a child I admit being reluctant to watch Torquay play and it wasn't really due to the fact we were 4th tier, it was that the stadium looked a bit rubbish and therefore my childhood logic lead me to assume that we were rubbish. Had we had a brand spanking new, fairly sizeable stadium, I would have been more willing to go at the team. So in part at least, I'd hope the new stand will increase attendances, as it will go a bit of the way in regards to solving this problem (although this problem would still exist with the new grandstand).

I do think potential support for Torquay could be pretty large. The South West has few successful clubs to compete with for supporters. There's alot of plastic fans admittedly and people from other parts of the country who support other teams, but these people still enjoy football and if you provide a big enough carrot these people will come through the door as the alternative is not going to football matches at all. Plainmoor however, will never be a big enough carrot, whatever league we are in.
shrimperama
New Signing
New Signing

Post by shrimperama »

Basil 75.

I have always been amazed that clubs right down in the southwest dont get bigger gates.

Plymouth aside you exeter and yeovil are quite isolated for the premier league.

I know league two is not a great draw for anyone , but its always puzzled me that with very little else in the area in terms of larger clubs to draw fans away that you can only achieve what you have been.

As i have said before i have visited plainmoor on a good few occasions and have always had a great weekend as torquay is a great town its just a shame that you dont get the level of support that lesser towns seem to give there team.

Our local rivals colchester are a prime example. A few months back they were looking to go into second spot in league one and yet could only muster 3k and struggle to get more than 4-5k unless charlton etc are in town and that is with a wealthy chairman and a new stadium.

It doesnt always work.

Darlington are the ultimate fail in that respect, but they have a small catchment area dwarfed by newcastle middlesborough and sunderland and it was almost suicide to build a 28k stadium. They now get just 1500 fans rattling around in that stadium which is rediculous.