The Gulls v Welling (Home) 12/08/2014

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Yep, seems strange to say it, but this is a must win. Last two seasons we've played 46 games at home with W13 D14 L19 F56-A71, then factor in last season which saw us win just 4 games at home and scored 18 goals at Plainmoor all season, it's vitally important we get away to a good start especially at home, to regain confidence, stop the rot, and win fans back.
Formerly known as forevertufc
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

After a few days to reflect, I'm not going to press the panic button after one game. Briscoe's goal was well worked and I doubt we will face much better teams than Gateshead. That being said, I certainly will not underestimate Welling, or any other team we face. If welling come and attack us, with our defence, I fully expect them to grab a goal or two. However it all depends on whether they will set up defensively and try and go for the one point. If they do, I think we will win, but not by much. I'm going for a 2-1 win.

I just hope people don't judge our season on our first few games. Remember we started poorly in our second season and look what happened. Hopefully Pearce will be available for Saturday. He was a big loss for us at Gateshead.

COME ON YOU YELLOWS!!!!
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
OllieGull
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by OllieGull »

tktufc91 wrote:After a few days to reflect, I'm not going to press the panic button after one game. Bristoes goal was well worked and I doubt we will face much better teams than Gateshead. That being said, I certainly will not underestimate Welling, or any other team we face. If welling come and attack us, with our defence, I fully expect them to grab a goal or two. However it all depends on whether they will set up defensively and try and go for the one point. If they do, I think we will win, but not by much. I'm going for a 2-1 win.

I just hope people don't judge our season on our first few games. Remember we started poorly in our second season and look what happened. Hopefully Pearce will be available for Saturday. He was a big loss for us at Gateshead.

COME ON YOU YELLOWS!!!!
Yeah, like the Gateshead fan said in the other thread, Gateshead lost all of their first 4 games last season and look where they ended up...
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

forevertufc wrote:Will not be going to this game, but want to hear the right mentality displayed by the team, something that seemed lacking at the weekend, you have pay due respect to every team you play, but we're home and should be looking to impose ourselves on Welling and gain three points, my team would be;

GK - Rice
DR - Tonge ( until Pearce is fit no other option)
DC - MacDonald
DC - Downes
DL - Cruise (for the moment)
MR - Briscoe
MC - Young
MC - Harding
ML - Ajala
FC - Bowman
FC - Yoeman

Would play Yoeman, simply do not get why successive managers keep giving this lad a one deal and then not use him, last two season when we've got in trouble at the bottom of League 2 he's been brought in and scored goals, seriously is about time he had a run in the team.
I'd more or less go with that side except I'd give Levi Ives a chance and include Courtney Richards instead of Harding. I think Welling will be one of the teams in the lower half of the league so let's give Levi a chance to see how he gets on without putting too much pressure on him.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Not sure about 'must win', certainly no more so than every game is a 'must win' - no one is happy losing.
I really think the season starts here. Last week we got, what is on paper, the hardest game of the season out of the way. Of all the teams in this division who were in it last year Gateshead were last seasons best team. We went there and played like it was another PSF.

Tomorrow night we get started for real. I am confident we can get a good result, I'm go for a safe 3-1.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Anyone who seriously thinks that tomorrows game isn't a must win must be mad. Reading the Welling forum they were awful on saturday, have lost half their players from last season, and included a young centre half who was apparently out of his depth.
Lets be brutally honest - and with no disrespect to Welling - this is a game that we ought to be winning easily.
If we cannot win this one we might as well jack it in now.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

brucie wrote:Anyone who seriously thinks that tomorrows game isn't a must win must be mad. Reading the Welling forum they were awful on saturday, have lost half their players from last season, and included a young centre half who was apparently out of his depth.
Lets be brutally honest - and with no disrespect to Welling - this is a game that we ought to be winning easily.
If we cannot win this one we might as well jack it in now.
I actually agree with you there Brucie. I'll still give it ten games or so, but I may have a little worry if we can't beat Welling.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
exilegull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by exilegull »

I agree with Brucie. We have to lift the doom and gloom that has now been around the club for sometime otherwise it could just keep spiralling. Two good wins on Tuesday and Saturday and the whole mood will change around plainmoor and we can finally look forwards
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

The thing is that brucie is right and that I do agree with him. He talks sense and doesn't beat about the bush. If we don't beat Welling then it will become obvious that we are stuck in the lower leagues forever.
Let brucie speak!
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

We will be ok this season, I expect us to fight for playoffs, but a top 8 finish would not be a disaster. At least then we can get rid of the rotting wood that is hampering us this season. Gateshead away on the opening day, was going to be a tough match for any team. Let's not forget, we draw 0-0 against grays in our first conference match in 2007 and that was at home. This was correct me not followed up by a 3-0 away win at was to be champions aldershot and a 3-1 away win at northwich, and that took us top of the table after 3 games in that season. Welling and southport are there for the taking.
Lucy
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

Looking forward to the return of home football tomorrow!

COME ON YOU YELLOWS!!
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

Few teams that have been relegated the season before start strongly in the first few games of the new season.It takes time to get the winning mentality back and with new players,managers and tactics to bed in there is inevitably a transition period before things start to click. OK we haven't got a new manager but he is trying to change the way we play,has new players in some positions and some places in the team still up for grabs,depending how his initial selections perform in the early matches.That being said we have a great opportunity to start getting back to winning ways in the next two games,slowly but surely improve our levels of performance,and get the fans to believe in their team again.Two home wins and things will start to move in the right direction.
Oil Beef Hooked
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Chris Hargreaves
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Oil Beef Hooked »

Looks like a few Welling fans have looked at our forum and have reacted to some of the comments on here :~D

http://wellingunited.activeboard.com/t5 ... v-welling/
Steve

:scarf: YELLOW ARMY :scarf:
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Torquay are a best price 2 (evens) with corals to win tonight. That equates to a 50% chance of a home win.
Even with our appalling home win last season, our no show on saturday and the fact that Welling got a point on saturday that still looks a big price to me.
Or to put it another way if you think there is a more than fifty per cent chance of Torquay winning the game then that price would be value.
SO I will backing the home win at that price.

I am also contemplating going tonight after all - not sure yet.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Oil Beef Hooked wrote:http://wellingunited.activeboard.com/t5 ... v-welling/

Looks like a few Welling fans have looked at our forum and have reacted to some of the comments on here :~D
Bad karma being so billy big balls about things. Only one way to go from there.
Good luck to a team like Welling (outside of our games) and let’s not all kid ourselves that we are a million miles away from the size of club they currently are.
I hope CH and the players give them the respect they deserve as if not they could easily do a number on us and Louis will have to put a link for the Samaritans on here for most!
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/