Worst radio commo ever

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
graygull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Worst radio commo ever

Post by graygull »

After years of listening in to most gulls games was it just me or was that the worst ever radio commo ever to grace the airwaves.
Almost turned it off at times except for Dave T struggling to cover the inept words flowing from "pete" whoever, he must have cringed knowing what we were having to listen to.
The third goal ! Im sure he missed it and added oh Zebs is congradulated by his teamates, I wondered why untill Dave T once again had to explain he had scored, come on BBC there are better folk out there waiting for their big chance.
Fletch
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lorz

Post by Fletch »

No its not just you Grey. Thought he was pretty pants. He kept spouting his bloody little 90 second summary every 5 or so minutes (it seemed) instead of commenting on what was happening. Kept mixing up the players names as well (when he remembered to say them) :(
yellow
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Post by yellow »

This man plumbed new depths in the annals of TUFC commentating.

Apart from being poor with facts, names and keeping up with play he managed to inject all the enthusiasm of a dead sheep to proceedings.

I thought he sounded like a train spotter at Newton Abbot station....on a wet Tuesday....in January.
"A day without football is a day lost" (Ernst Happel)
"Look at the (Plainmoor) stars, Look how they shine for you, And everything you do, Yeah they were all yellow" (C. Martin)
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

The CHARLIE Zebroski comment made me chuckle, your right though he almost made me not want to listen to a 0-3 win for TQY, not professional at all.

How do these people get these jobs with the beeb ?

Hang on...... don't answer that.
ChineseGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by ChineseGull »

worse than Claridge?
Fletch
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lorz

Post by Fletch »

Sad to say but yes :)
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

The commo combo for away games is usually Julian Gaunt and Dave Thomas and in my opinion the best pairing.

What happened woz, JD was not available and they drafted in a local presenter. On the matchday thread I did ask Peter who ? I listen to all the away games on Radio Devon and "Peter who" although dreadful, is not the worst one I've heard.

I don't remember the particular away match, but on one occasion both JD and DT were absent and the two stand ins were diabolical. They were yap yap yap all through the game with no relevance to what was happening on the pitch. I had to wait for Jeff's summary to find out what had happened.
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
gulls_aloud
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Mark Ellis

Post by gulls_aloud »

It wasn't good. A commentary of the Chelsea Flower Show would have been more animated, and at one point I wondered if anyone was actually running on the pitch.

If, as Trojan suggests, he came in late, he wouldn't have had time to do his homework on us, but I did feel sorry for Dave Thomas.

It actually got worse in the post-match report where his delivery was truly bizarre - every time he paused mid-sentence, which was frequently, he added in an urr sound. Hope we don't get him again - he probably didn't enjoy it either.
furmax
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Aggy

Post by furmax »

Has anyone noticed the terrible lag on the commo through Gullsplayer as well now? They seem to be trying to get over the commentary dropping out persistantly by 'looping' the commentary back 30 seconds or so each time meaning you hear the same passage of play again. The problem is that you get what I had yesterday - texts and internet updates of goals minutes before the 'live' commentary broadcasts it.

I knew of both 2nd half gulls goals well before they commentated on it, and reckon it must have been at least 5 minutes behind come the final whistle!

This only seems to have started last week, but it is not the answer - unless it is just me this is happening too?
A poster previously know as furzehamgull. @furmax
exilegull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by exilegull »

At least twice he mixed up which end the action was happening at. 1st occassion Barnet had the ball, the stream cut out for about 5 seconds and it when it came back - "and thats just flashed inches wide of the Barnet goal". I thought blimey that was a quick break until it became apparent it was Barnet that nearly scored
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

furzehamgull wrote:Has anyone noticed the terrible lag on the commo through Gullsplayer as well now? They seem to be trying to get over the commentary dropping out persistantly by 'looping' the commentary back 30 seconds or so each time meaning you hear the same passage of play again. The problem is that you get what I had yesterday - texts and internet updates of goals minutes before the 'live' commentary broadcasts it.

I knew of both 2nd half gulls goals well before they commentated on it, and reckon it must have been at least 5 minutes behind come the final whistle!

This only seems to have started last week, but it is not the answer - unless it is just me this is happening too?
I've had the same problem for the last two games now, I've found out whose scored before I hear it on Gullsplayer. :(

As for the commo yesterday, it was the worst I think I've ever heard. This pete fella was just terrible, seemed more interested in his overview of the game every ten minutes.

I did chuckle afterwards with his "Charlie" Zebroski call. :lol:

I nearly switched over to the Barnet commo instead!!
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

And earlier in the game,when Zebrowski was on the ball,yep he was dump,however judging by his accent not sure he was from round these parts.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

And what about the match summarisers at Plainmoor ?

Let me just say I'm glad the moaning Ken Furphy ain't doing it anymore.
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

I like it when Stevie Breed has a go, he forgets that he isn't in the stands and starts shouting and cussing about the ref, just so funny.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

ferrarilover wrote: starts shouting and cussing about the ref, just so funny.

Matt.
Can someone explain to me what cussing is please? :whistle: