FA Cup Round 1, Torquay vs Rochdale 9/11/13

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Banging_Them_In
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: The Captain

Post by Banging_Them_In »

Knill's interview ......what does he mean when he was saying 'front to back' and then corrected himself by saying 'back to front' ?

One thing that he did say that made sense to me was that we can respond to a bad result.....last week showed that ......... COYY !
Robiberto22
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Robiberto22 »

Banging_Them_In wrote:Knill's interview ......what does he mean when he was saying 'front to back' and then corrected himself by saying 'back to front' ?

One thing that he did say that made sense to me was that we can respond to a bad result.....last week showed that ......... COYY !
i hope so, because in my opinion Chesterfield are there for the taking!

:scarf:
ALAN KNILL'S YELLOW ARMY !!! - Oh wait ...
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

MidDevon wrote:What a pathetic, gutless performance, feel sorry for the odd player who clearly cares....Downes, Rice , O'conner ......the rest can take a running jump

Once again no leadership on the pitch (for Christ sake Mansell stand aside as captain will you....you are just not a leader)

The bottom lines is I don't think many of the players actually want to be playing for Torquay

Loanees forced to come here on loan and players who failed to get contracts at other clubs and hence Torquay was their only chance of staying in the league.

Some of you may be old enough to remember our cup exit against Bognor Regis, I was there, we got played of the park, but the thing I will always remember was 2 or 3 of the Torquay team that day in tears after the match.

I just wish today's team cared as much
You must have this confused. Cyril's team won 3-0 at Bognor. Portsmouth fans attacked us with bricks and stones and we had to run on the pitch during and after the game to seek shelter. Derek Dawkins picked up and ate a banana thrown at him by racist fans. A scary but memorable day, not long after the stroms of 87 but we most certainly didn't lose. Cyril's team would murder this wretched lot we have now.
MidDevon
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by MidDevon »

Me confused?....could be, years of watching the club does sometimes mean you go all hazy!!!! funny enough I knew a chap who played for Weymouth in a midweek FA CUP replay at Fareham Town in the 80's and they had similar problems with Portsmouth fans attacking them, after they scored a goal and it all got quite nasty......

.....now I am thinking what match it was when we got played off the park by a non league team....other than Harrogate last year !
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

The complete lack of ambition shown yesterday by the players and by the manager in his radio interview really gets to me. Hoofing the ball anywhere, playing in awe of Rochdale, hoping for a draw. This was Rochdale for goodness sake not Real Madrid.
Sunnysideup
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Manse

Post by Sunnysideup »

Mid, there's a few to choose from in that category but not Bognor. Defeats to the non league might of Hillingdon, Yeovil, Farnbrough, Sutton not to mention Harrogate. Not Bognor that I can remember though...Enfield maybe??

Thinking about it perhaps not Enfield, but I seem to remember Burton giving us a footballing lesson (in a promotion season at that).

Lets put it into perspective though people. Too many players had an off day yesterday. Rochdale looked intent on keeping a clean sheet judging by the 5 across the back whenever we had the ball. Our wide players seemed to get tackled in numbers pretty much any time they tried anything which meant the front players were trying to feed off scraps. McCallum went from looking good in the last 2 games to being marked out of the game this week. It happens. Dale looked no better than us till the mix up for their first goal, despite being sat at the top of the division a couple of weeks ago.
Apathy Rules...............it's ok though, nobody's that fussed about it........
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Rochdale looked no better than us, but still managed to force two saves out of Ricey in the first half, and one save in the second and scored twice, interesting. We managed to force Lillis to dive once in the whole game.

If your opponents are doubling up on your wide men then adapt your own tactics, bring your wide men in off the wings and attack through the middle, or you could keep running down blind alleys for 80 minutes, then make 3 like for like substitutions and carry on running down blind alleys and lose.
Formerly known as forevertufc
wodger of awabia
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Carol Vorderman..eh?

Post by wodger of awabia »

forevertufc wrote: Rochdale looked no better than us, but still managed to force two saves out of Ricey in the first half, and one save in the second and scored twice, interesting. We managed to force Lillis to dive once in the whole game.

If your opponents are doubling up on your wide men then adapt your own tactics, bring your wide men in off the wings and attack through the middle, or you could keep running down blind alleys for 80 minutes, then make 3 like for like substitutions and carry on running down blind alleys and lose.
Yes I agree, but Knill does not. In his post match interview he stated "it was a tough game against a very good side" Would someone please explain to him what a very good side is!
PL21gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Lee MansellBaseball

Post by PL21gull »

Yes the officials were poor, yes Rochdale were the much better team and much more organised. We on the other hand continue to play park kick-and-rush, and even though we have a big loanee target man we generally kept the ball away from him.
Looking down from the Bench it was so easy to see how strung out were our forwards, forever 20 yards away from one another (did our front 2 exchange any passes during the whole game?), and while we persist with just two midfielders a complete lack of creativity, compounded by a lack of anyone taking responsibility for even trying to play on the ground.
How unprofessional can we be, especially when we see opponents playing as a team, supporting the man on the ball, and walking around/through us with simple yet basic skills and tactics.
AK even recognised that Rochdale were playing a 3-4-3 system yet did nothing to counteract it; let's face it, AK seems to be a one-trick pony who has no plan B and no imagination when substitutes are necessary to change a game.
Oh, and if ever we do get within sight of goal, perhaps we could at least try to pass or shoot on the deck and even get more than two players in the opposition penalty area.
wodger of awabia
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Carol Vorderman..eh?

Post by wodger of awabia »

Knill had Mozika on the bench, why was he not used? is he out of favour? surely he is not injured again? if so he would not be on the bench.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Bristows bench is completely devoid of any atmosphere whatsoever. The ref was absolutely appalling. In days gone by at least this would have been enough to evoke some wrath from those attending but there is just an air of resignation.
Awful
yellowmonkey
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Watches from: Pop side

Post by yellowmonkey »

Rochdale - Two Torquay- Knill
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

What was the matter with the ref? Couple of odd decisions, but then, that's standard L2 fare these days. I don't see that he's worthy of particular criticism.

Wodger, you're only allowed three subs. If he'd used DM, you'd have been here complaining that he didn't use Craig.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Yes Ashley Yeoman is in free flow scoring for Bideford. If I was chairman I would be tapping Sean Joyce their manager, if you look at his record at Bideford it's one of the best in non-league. Sean is an ex-Torquay player and lives in the town. Bideford have gone through all the divisions and are unbeaten in13 this year. He could do no worse than what we are doing now!
MidDevon
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by MidDevon »

It is not impossible that Bideford could be promoted to Conference South for next season and it is not impossible that Torquay could get relegated

So those of you who knock the likes of Bideford should remember just 1 division could seperate the teams next season

I do agree on the point that perhaps the club should be looking down the leagues as appose to up the leagues for talent.....players who really want to come here as appose to being told by parent clubs they need to get league experience or get fit at our expense (often)