Torquay United V Cheltenham

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Glostergull wrote: You want to look at your defensive record in the last 4 games. Scored nine. Conceded 16. And after today it's even worse. played 5 Scored 11 conceded 20. Even we ain't that bad. Those statistics came from your own commentary team on Radio Gloucestershire. Even they ain't impressed by the team and wonder if Yates will be out soon if things don't buck up.
Kit_Robin is a Torquay fan and was talking about OUR defensive record

Time for bed me thinks Glos me old mate ;-)

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Not so sure that you should be writing previews if you thought that Elliott played in midfield for Cheltenham. Hubert has a point. We have played Cheltenham numerous times including the play offs - Elliott has always been a central defender.
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP
Watches from: Pop side

Post by taxilady »

Thank goodness then that the previews in this section are mainly written for entertainment then , & are not legally binding!!! I've found it in my heart to forgive Glos on this occasion, but shall certainly send you round to sort him out Brucie if he offends ag'in !!! And thanks for the nostalgia Stefano of decent crowds & Ministand rowdism ! We knew a few songs to sing too !!!
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
coley in stripes
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by coley in stripes »

Scott Brehaut wrote: My point was - last season you were convinced that we were down, therefore, when the team has a fairly shocking start you can't then berate those who were convinced that things were all doom and gloom when you thought the same last time around....we all make mistakes (as you realised last season), therefore this season there are people, like me, who will, possibly, have to eat humble pie too.
Scott, my original post (bottom of page 14) was meant to be inoffensive and funny and a bit of a gee up not a dig or deep statement at anyone in particular. I don't expect anyone to eat 'humble pie'.... I will always stick with my opinions and respect others, but a bit of banter along the way doesn't hurt, I've taken loads of that as you know
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Scott Brehaut »

In that case, apologies - I didn't take it as a bit of banter . My mistake :)

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Much better yesterday. I was pleased for Ball, Hawley and Harding who have come in for some unwarranted stick at times. On another day, Harding would have scored two cracking goals but yesterday his efforts were well saved by the keeper.

Just before Hawley scored, seconds before, I was thinking, he has done really well there to get in a position from nothing and if he could just lay off a pass and then he went and scored. A great goal. Eclipsed, slightly, however, by Chapell's goal which demonstrated what an intelligent footballer he is. He stormed through, pointed to where he wanted the pass played, got it and then scored with a great finish.

Both of Cheltenham's goals were unnecessary. I'm hoping that Rice thought the whistle was blown because that was an appalling effort to save Cheltenham's first goal, while Pearce perhaps, should have done better when it came to letting the Cheltenham player through for the 2nd goal.

As for Cheltenham - what has happened to them? They have been a really decent side over the last two years and I thought that their poor start was maybe a blip. However, after watching them yesterday, they really are a poor team and maybe are in for a tough season. McGlashon (?) still looks dangerous but Steve Elliot is starting to look and play like his age now and the gangly left-back with brittle legs looks lightweight and half-hearted. I don't think they will go down but I can't seem them challenging for the play-offs this year either. Perhaps a bit like us. Two years running in the play-offs and then a season fighting relegation. Poor turnout from them as well. I would have expected a higher turn out on a Saturday for what was a relatively 'short' trip.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Just before Hawley scored, seconds before, I was thinking, he has done really well there to get in a position from nothing and if he could just lay off a pass and then he went and scored. A great goal. Eclipsed, slightly, however, by Chapell's goal which demonstrated what an intelligent footballer he is. He stormed through, pointed to where he wanted the pass played, got it and then scored with a great finish.

Both of Cheltenham's goals were unnecessary. I'm hoping that Rice thought the whistle was blown because that was an appalling effort to save Cheltenham's first goal, while Pearce perhaps, should have done better when it came to letting the Cheltenham player through for the 2nd goal.

As for Cheltenham - what has happened to them? They have been a really decent side over the last two years and I thought that their poor start was maybe a blip. However, after watching them yesterday, they really are a poor team and maybe are in for a tough season. McGlashon (?) still looks dangerous but Steve Elliot is starting to look and play like his age now and the gangly left-back with brittle legs looks lightweight and half-hearted. I don't think they will go down but I can't seem them challenging for the play-offs this year either. Perhaps a bit like us. Two years running in the play-offs and then a season fighting relegation. Poor turnout from them as well. I would have expected a higher turn out on a Saturday for what was a relatively 'short' trip.
So Harding has a better game and has two shots and therefore we can simply forget how bad a footballer he has been since the 4th of August? Has Ball huffed and puffed for the last 7 games without ever looking dangerous? Hawley you may have a point about as he hasn't had things to suit since he joined and has undoubted quality but I don't see where the unwarranted criticism is.

I'm just glad that EVERYONE in a yellow shirt seemed to have an improved game yesterday however minimal and am just hoping it isn't covering up cracks for Newport and beyond. A welcome 3 points.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

I disagree with those who suggest Ball has 'huffed and puffed'. I think he has put in some decent performances. Whilst I am not a big fan of Knill, he made a good point on the radio that strikers value to the team is often dismissed or overlooked if they do not score goals. There have been times when I think Ball has looked dangerous and so I was pleased he got the goals yesterday.

Again, I think some of the stick Harding and especially Hawley have been getting has been unfair. That is my opinion, probably based on more games than you and maybe less than others but whichever way it is, let's hope that those three players can reproduce the same form in forthcoming matches. If I am being honest, if there was one player who I think looks vulnerable for his place, it is possibly Mansell but it is almost like heresy to even suggest such a thing.
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Think we need a good away day ,,, is it to be Newport?
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

hector wrote:I disagree with those who suggest Ball has 'huffed and puffed'. I think he has put in some decent performances. Whilst I am not a big fan of Knill, he made a good point on the radio that strikers value to the team is often dismissed or overlooked if they do not score goals. There have been times when I think Ball has looked dangerous and so I was pleased he got the goals yesterday.

Again, I think some of the stick Harding and especially Hawley have been getting has been unfair. That is my opinion, probably based on more games than you and maybe less than others but whichever way it is, let's hope that those three players can reproduce the same form in forthcoming matches. If I am being honest, if there was one player who I think looks vulnerable for his place, it is possibly Mansell but it is almost like heresy to even suggest such a thing.
I take your opinions on board Hector. I've only seen the away games (apart from Rochdale) where perhaps our gameplan is a bit different than at Plainmoor so I guess these players will have done a bit better in the home games. I think Ball has been disappointing overall and although we don't play to his strengths and as much as I commend his effort he has looked poor in the games I've seen and how he is at a Championship club i'll never know. Harding though has been just pretty awful home (from what I've read) and away and so I don't think there could be much debate about him getting criticism and deservedly so.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

ferrarilover wrote:I thought Wivel would find some way to take the gloss off the win and he duly did so in the obvious way. For those who weren't there, Cheltenham weren't good, but they weren't anything like as bad as Hartlepool. The final score of 4-2 certainly should have been 4-1 (their first goal was, conservatively, 3 yards offside), but that was because we took our chances at an appropriate rate rather than Cheltenham being unbelievably bad.

Matt.
Just watched the goals and Harrison was clearly onside.
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Kernowgull »

I posted this earlier but my phone logged me out so it didnt post. Rice really should have done better on the first. Also not sure Ball can really claim the second??

I watched the highlights on Gullsplayer, and there were a few excellent moves. Harding plays a lovely balk through to Benners, and had a realy good piece of skill leading up to a 20 yard drive which keeper tipped over.
Wisconsin_gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mr Chappell

Post by Wisconsin_gull »

Just caught the gullplayer highlights. Looked a whole lot better, this will provide the confidence boost the team needed.
The Chappell goal was top drawer, ran onto a ball, controls it first touch with his right foot and next touch with left foot is in the net - that's quality.
Excited for the next game
COYY :scarf:
At the kerb halt - look right - look left -look right again - if all clear quick march!
PL21gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Lee MansellBaseball

Post by PL21gull »

Yes we can all enjoy the first home win - what a difference when we play as a team - supporting, harrying together, passing with purpose - and only looked like letting Cheltenham back into the game after we went 3-1 up then stoppped playing football and reverted to banging the ball high and long anywhere for a while.
The front two were closer together so could actually play together instead of being adrift, ditto the middle two, and we used the two wide men to good effect. There. it's not rocket science after all.
Keep it up guys, work on composure, and we can all enjoy the football as opposed to the hoofing park ball.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Jerry, you're absolutely right, their bloke is clearly level with Pearce when the ball is played. The whole ground, their radio, our radio and their players all got it wrong. It's an odd thing, he looked so very clearly offside when we saw it live.

Also, a word for the Football League Show...

Torquay United FC, its players, directors, staff and fans would like to apologise for whatever it was they did to piss you off. We were suspicious, but not certain, that you were mad at us for something. However, that belief was confirmed last night when, despite our participating in a match featuring 6 goals (joint most in the FL), some quality football, some element of local rivalry and plenty of entertainment, you still chose to put us on dead last. Games shown before us included Scunthorpe's hugely dull 1-0 win over Plymouth Argyle and Fleetwood's grossly uninspiring 1-0 trudgefest against Portsmouth.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"