Torquay United V Cheltenham

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Cheers Roar!

Yeah, I certainly recall last year's match, bloody awful watch. All I really remember about the Playoff games is that we could have scored about 150 goals across the two matches and ended up getting beaten 4-0 (I think) on aggregate.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

not the greatest quality video but GM can be a great winger on his day

think he got a goal and an assist in the first leg too
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

ferrarilover wrote:I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels the way we do about Nico and Jermaine McGlashan, although I would like to claim the original copyright for the thought... :rules:
If your on about the Rochdale thread, I posted it on page 10, 1.5 hrs before, so no you can't... :na:

And to be honest though as a general point, do not think it takes much of a football expert to know Nico.v.McGlashan will only end in... :'( for us..over to you Mr Knill.
Formerly known as forevertufc
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

Look, David, you're not too old to go over my knee!

Matt.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

ferrarilover wrote:Look, David, you're not too old to go over my knee!

Matt.
Cheeky.. :)
Wubble U
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: The Sills
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Wubble U »

AustrianAndyGull wrote:Why does it cost £116.50 to get the train from Chesterfield to Torquay on Saturday? Why is it so high? What competition is public transport against taking your car? Plus I have to change once en route both ways. A joke.
Andy (and anyone else wanting to catch trains to the footie who didn't know this), you can get some really cheap tickets 12 weeks in advance.
It's a god send for me as i don't drive, and as we already know the fixtures for the season we can plan ahead.
Well, until they move a game to a Friday night for 'health and safety' reasons or whatever their guff excuses are.

Anyway, you can sign up for alerts, so you get an email the day they go on sale at their cheapest:

http://www.thetrainline.com/ticketalert/

Hope it helps :)
wodger of awabia
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Carol Vorderman..eh?

Post by wodger of awabia »

I would select
Rice
Cruise Saah Downes Oastler
Bodin Graig Morris Mansell
Howe Jarvis

Oh fu#k!!!
I forgot Knill has got rid of ( or failed to keep ) Lings play-off side, & signed a load of crap to replace them! Is there any chance of one of his strikers scoring another goal before Xmas?
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

I shall go to the match on Saturday, but with a feeling of dread. Not for many a long month (it may be a year) have I left Plainmoor feeling optimistic and satisfied after seeing an exciting game. No, every match for the past year has left me (and it seems many others) feeling downhearted and gloomy as we walk away - trudge away - from the ground. Consequently it's reached the stage where I think to my self 'do I really want to go?' To travel yet another weary one hundred miles, often in terrible weather to see what only the most rose-tinted would call 'entertainment'? But, as always, I will drag myself down to Torquay hoping against hope that, just for once, I'll see an exciting game played by competent footballers. If that happens, then the next Saturday home match won't seem so bad and I'll feel like I did in the old days when I woke up on a Saturday morning thinking' Great! Football today!'
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

You weren't at the Aldershot game, then? Wivel, if you want pacy, free flowing, exciting football more than rarely, then I'm afraid Plainmoor isn't the place for you. Old Trafford, perhaps. The Bernabeu, certainly. League Two (save for the odd exception, Swindon of a couple of years ago spring to mind) isn't for you.

Woger, that's a load of old crap.

Tongue is miles better than Oastler and I'm not an Oastler basher. Pearce is Saah's equal, he isn't perfect, but he's not bad. Howe is junk, a fat lump who can't or won't do anything useful and Jarvis got what, 4 goals in his time here. Hardly superstars, are they.

Matt.
wodger of awabia
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Carol Vorderman..eh?

Post by wodger of awabia »

ferrarilover wrote:You weren't at the Aldershot game, then? Wivel, if you want pacy, free flowing, exciting football more than rarely, then I'm afraid Plainmoor isn't the place for you. Old Trafford, perhaps. The Bernabeu, certainly. League Two (save for the odd exception, Swindon of a couple of years ago spring to mind) isn't for you.

Woger, that's a load of old crap.

Tongue is miles better than Oastler and I'm not an Oastler basher. Pearce is Saah's equal, he isn't perfect, but he's not bad. Howe is junk, a fat lump who can't or won't do anything useful and Jarvis got what, 4 goals in his time here. Hardly superstars, are they.

Matt.
But infinitely better than the crap team Knill has assembled, Jarvis has already scored 4 goals in a so far poor York team.That is exactly 4 times what Knill's two strikers have managed!
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

With only three games to go before we reach the magic 10 and Knill gets the tipp-ex out on his team sheet I'm expecting to see the same starting 11 but with some improvements in performance.
0-0 but the more chances than we've seen up to now.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

wodger of awabia wrote:I would select
Rice
Cruise Saah Downes Oastler
Bodin Graig Morris Mansell
Howe Jarvis

Oh fu#k!!!
I forgot Knill has got rid of ( or failed to keep ) Lings play-off side, & signed a load of crap to replace them! Is there any chance of one of his strikers scoring another goal before Xmas?
Thats strange as thought it was Martin Ling who failed keep hold of his play-off team. Bobby.O, Eunan O'Kane and Mark Ellis the main and only reasons why we got so high up the league, the players you highlighted in red were actually the team Martin Ling put together that would have gone down if he and his utterly useless sidekick turnip had stayed. And to be fair niether O'kane or Ellis were signed by Lord Ling of the rose and crown.
coley in stripes
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by coley in stripes »

:goodpost: What's up with people with all the sarcastic and unreasonable posts re the new set up...All the pre season talk about being happy with a mid table position this season. OK so posters have to say something while we reach the 10 league games that most people agreed would give an indication of reaching that mark, but be reasonable, this is basically a brand new set up and only time will tell. This season is not going to be as many people want but at least we won't be struggling to stay in the League. We can't afford to buy a decent league position :scarf:
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

Jarvis is one of seven players to reach 4 goals so far this term and that is in addition to 16 players (including our own Jordan Chappell) who are on three. The fact that one of the 23 players to have enjoyed a decent, if not exceptional start to the season happens to be late of Torquay United is indicative of the existence of mathematical chance rather than anything more significant to do with Knill's team building ethos.

We've also replaced Stevens with Chappell, which is a monster bit of business. He's played a masterstroke in getting Mozika to come here and was gazumped for Manset by a Coventry side (for whom the player scored recently) willing to pay three grand a week, despite being in the trouble they are.

We have taken Pearce from a higher division, despite his being wanted by his former employers and, despite his failings, Knill also managed to lure away a stalwart from the central midfield of last year's playoff finalists.

Tell me again how he can't build a squad...

Matt.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

The squad is largely ok it's just Knill hasn't worked out what to do with it yet. When he finds the key then everything will be rosy again. My only worry is that he appears unwilling to try new things or change things around a tad which was one of the key criticisms I had about Martin Ling. I'm sure he'll get it right in the end but at the moment it would be nice for him to chop and change a little to see if any more doors open up for us on the pitch.

Coley, i'm with you generally and your post is a valid one but for me I think just the sheer disbelief of how poor we are playing has wound me up. Perhaps I got too carried away after Ling went and assumed Knill would have us playing a bit like Barcelona from day one, perhaps I expected too much. What I didn't expect was to see worse football than under Ling and ridiculous statements from the man after games. I expected a decent amount of improvement on the playing side and I'm sure many of us did but I certainly feel frustrated and let down at the moment. Mid table is fine for me but if we're just going to try and dig out the odd result here and there then it's not going to make for great entertainment and nor is it going to lead to progression on and off the pitch.

I know we're only 7 games in but we've started appallingly and haven't improved even a tiny bit, you would expect to start seeing a few chinks of light at the end of the tunnel in terms of what Knill is trying to achieve. I cannot see what philosophy he is trying to create here. If we were scintillating attack wise and banging in goals but shipping them then we can look at the defence, if we were solid defensively then he could concentrate on the attack and creativity. We're porous at the back AND we don't score goals and he wants to carry on like Kenneth Williams!!
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.