5 more to come in

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

supergulls wrote: Billy has asked this year to play as a number 10 this year just behind the front man, or in the hole as its also called. He doesn't want to play on the wing.
has anyone consulted the "mad austrian" about this? :} =D
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
We now head Due South to all games!

TUST Member 468

supergulls
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by supergulls »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: has anyone consulted the "mad austrian" about this? :} =D
Yeah I thought this would go down well with Andy, but maybe the added responsibility will jump start Billy's season..... Awaiting andys response :lol:
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

So Billy has chosen his shirt number and position? Crikey. :O
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Haha, here's hoping Billy really comes into his own this season and rams my words firmly where the sun don't shine. I'm rooting for the lad as he could be like an exciting new signing if everything falls into place. We shall wait and see I guess.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Fonda »

Does this give a hint towards formation? Are we going 1 up-front with BB behind, because to play two up-front with BB behind would be a bit extravagant!
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
supergulls
Skipper
Skipper

Post by supergulls »

Fonda wrote:Does this give a hint towards formation? Are we going 1 up-front with BB behind, because to play two up-front with BB behind would be a bit extravagant!
I make you right Fonda I wasn't to pleased when I heard this too as I thought exactly the same... 1 up front
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

It would fit Knilly's 'attack at all costs' philosophy on the end of which we have found ourselves in the past.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

It can't be one up with one behind, with that, either Benyon has been signed under false pretence or we're going for the shortest front-line in 4th tier history! If it's true that Bodin will be playing in the middle then we would surely be more likely to see 4-3-3, but then, why would AK be wanting two wingers?
Personally I think Bodin is currently seen as first choice left-winger in a 4-4-2 depending on who else is brought in...
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
exiledgull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Jarvis

Post by exiledgull »

Well if we want 3 in midfield we would need another midfielder anyway.

I think is fair to see we need another centre midfielder. With AK bringing labadie in before I think it's safe to say we will get another midfielder. If he mentioned a central midfielder we would be very happy. I'm more interested to see the strikers and centre half. These are vitally important for us.
supergulls
Skipper
Skipper

Post by supergulls »

PhilGull wrote:It can't be one up with one behind, with that, either Benyon has been signed under false pretence or we're going for the shortest front-line in 4th tier history! If it's true that Bodin will be playing in the middle then we would surely be more likely to see 4-3-3, but then, why would AK be wanting two wingers?
Personally I think Bodin is currently seen as first choice left-winger in a 4-4-2 depending on who else is brought in...
Billy doesn't want to be out on the wing, he wants to play in his favourite role which is just off the front man, I'm not sure he will get his wish as it means changing our whole system just for him. I suppose all will be revealed in the coming weeks.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Fonda »

I like Bodin, but his performances last season hardly demand that we change our entire formation to accomodate him. Perhaps Knill gave him the number 10 shirt to placate him - you can have the shirt but not the position. 'In the hole'? Does he have visions of granduer? This is League 2, not the Champions League. Most teams will play 4-4-2, and I imagine we'll be one of them. I suggest he concentrates on mastering the art of wing play, before making any more demands. Get out on that left0wing lad, and do a better job of it than you did last season.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Fonda wrote:I like Bodin, but his performances last season hardly demand that we change our entire formation to accomodate him. Perhaps Knill gave him the number 10 shirt to placate him - you can have the shirt but not the position. 'In the hole'? Does he have visions of granduer? This is League 2, not the Champions League. Most teams will play 4-4-2, and I imagine we'll be one of them. I suggest he concentrates on mastering the art of wing play, before making any more demands. Get out on that left0wing lad, and do a better job of it than you did last season.
Spot on. He needs to earn the right to say I will control midfield - just like Eunan did.

I do however predict a better season for him and I think the off field distraction of Macklin and Leadbitter may very well be a blessing in disguise.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
mickyflash
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by mickyflash »

Richinns wrote:Spot on. He needs to earn the right to say I will control midfield - just like Eunan did.

I do however predict a better season for him and I think the off field distraction of Macklin and Leadbitter may very well be a blessing in disguise.
Great point :goodpost:
exilegull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by exilegull »

I wouldn't be too surprised if we weren't looking for a midfielder at this stage. Based on the players that are being discussed it seems that Knill is intending on playing a 4-4-2 formation with pacey wingers and I guess a big man upfront to play alongside Benyon, with an additional back up and Yeoman. I suspect it will be a quite quick and direct style.

Mansell starting would seem to be a given as he is club captain and brings experience to a relatively young side, together with some stability along with Poke, Downes and Nico. Mansell then acts as the box to box midfielder and needs a holding midfielder - Lathrope obviously fits the bill. As back up Craig is there who I think can play with either Mansell as a deep lying ball playing midfielder or with Lathrope as a more advanced creative midfielder - although clearly this is a make of break season for Craig. We'd all like a top draw creative midfielder but they don't grow on trees and a direct quick style with good wingers can still be successful without one.

Also probably best not to blow all the budget now - I think Knill will concentrate on getting the attacking unit in place and working well and can then re-assess the midfield. There is always the chance that Labadie will not become a regular at Notts County and may be available again at Xmas.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

First signing Knill made was a CM, not just that but he'ds let 2 go this summer so my flabber would be gasted if one wasn't brought in to boost us in that position. Mansell and Lathrope are fine at what they do but we need a stand out Labadie esque type player with them, even if we play 4-4-2 then I don't think we can have a partnership of Damon/Manse and expect to be anything but mid-lower table at best. Too similar, too much perspiration and not enough inspiration.