Player to bring in (suggestions)

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

ferrarilover wrote:Yeah, ok, I'd sign Robinson. You can keep chunky boom boom, doesn't do a lot for me. Although it is interesting to note that Fat Boy played, maybe, half a season and got the same number of goals as Rene and has been released. Rene played every minute for which he was available and we are desperate to hang on to him. A question of ambition? Relative ability? Opinion? Something else?

Matt.
At a guess, age and potential perhaps?

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
leetufc
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by leetufc »

I think Zebs would be a good signing if the deal was right. I wouldn't break the bank to sign him as I don't think the risk is worth it, and definitely nothing longer than a year.

Bayo would be an okay signing, but one where I'm wouldn;t be ecstatic if he signed and not gutted if we didn't.

Not sure about Robinson. He had a good spell on loan at us but he hasn't exactly set the world on fire anywhere else.

I would hope Knill had his own targets though rather than relying on a load of ex TUFC players.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Possibly Scott but i've no reason to doubt that Knill won't replace Rene with someone at least equally as effective. I'd like to not see TUFC old boys come back to us and if they did i'd take Jakey but i'm under no illusion the quality that Rene has and i just hope for his sake all this toying and twittering isn't a sign that he thinks he's back on track and therefore can do what he wants. If that's the case his football league career could be over within a couple of years. Crap players can become good with a positive attitude and good players can become crap with a bad attitude. I like Rene as a player but i know there are players out there just as capable in different ways and i trust Knill to identify them and try and bring them in. On that premise and the fact that i'd like a fresh start i would like Rene to leave us.

I've just noticed what leetufc has written as i was typing and he is spot on, we don't really need ex-players to take us forward. It's a new era now and i hope Knill will be bringing in his own men.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
northharrowgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by northharrowgull »

leetufc wrote:I think Zebs would be a good signing if the deal was right. I wouldn't break the bank to sign him as I don't think the risk is worth it, and definitely nothing longer than a year.

Bayo would be an okay signing, but one where I'm wouldn;t be ecstatic if he signed and not gutted if we didn't.

Not sure about Robinson. He had a good spell on loan at us but he hasn't exactly set the world on fire anywhere else.

I would hope Knill had his own targets though rather than relying on a load of ex TUFC players.
How many times have we made the mistake of assuming former, well regarded Gulls will live up to their earlier triumphs, only to be bitterly disappointed ? David Graham, and Martin Gritton being two such examples. We cant live in the past and I certainly wouldnt want either Adebayo or Jake Robinson back, good though they were in their day. Alan Knill will no doubt have a few names he is chasing and I cant wait to see who he brings in. Expect former Bury and Scunny names to figure.
gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene

Post by gullno4 »

I'd definitely take both of them back!
The gulls are going up
madgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by madgull »

Just imagine the carnage with Bayo and Rene up front, or either of them with Benyon. Guessing Rene has been given a fairly big contract offer, so if he doesn't sign it, then extend the offer to Bayo for a season, he's proved that he's still a potent force at this level.
lbctufc
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by lbctufc »

New poster on here, although I often have a little look at what's being said from time to time.

Seen today that Amankwaah has been released by City - Could be a decent addition at RB for us.

Quite injury-prone apparently, but the same was said about Downes when he joined us last summer.
jonnyfive
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Gary Clayton

Post by jonnyfive »

Instead of signing Jake Robinson, we could just get Stevens back. But we are looking beyond diminutive dribblers that will never be a success in league football.

What would 'the Fridge' offer us? Well, last year he offered NTFC 17 goals on the way to the play-off final. He'd make a most acceptable replacement, if our best player decides to leave.
"Also, stands aren't sentient."
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Robinson played 22 games for us and got 7 goals from the wing (an average of 14 over 45 games). Rene played 45 games this season and got 16 goals from centre forward. One is our "best player", the other not fit to turn out in the Football League. Robinson, as an aside, has also picked up fewer bookings in the last 8 years (his entire professional career plus half his traineeship) than Rene did last season alone. Not the whole picture, I'll grant you, but Robinson is capable of competing at FL level, surely?

Rene is now 26, he's not a kid, and he's managed a total of 66 goals. I'm really not sure that a centre forward who has spent all but half a season at non-league or L2 level and has only scored one goal every 4 games can really be said to have any potential beyond being a run-of-the-mill L2 striker. Not that I'm arguing for or against Rene being a better player than Fat Boy, you understand. By way of comparison, Chubby Boom Boom has played 374 games and scored 127 goals at a rate of a goal every 3 games. He scores slightly faster, and has achieved that, mostly, at L1 level.

For me, still a yes to Robinson (seems perhaps like a Knilly type of player, direct, fast, no long ball rubbish) but a no to Akinfenwa.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Anyone mentioned Connell yet?

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

yes to robinson, good player, fast and will always score goals.
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

ROADRUNNER wrote:yes to robinson ...... will always score goals.
Not sure Northampton fans would agree with that when he has only scored 5 goals in his 2 seasons - 61 appearances, admittedly half of them as a sub but not exactly prolific - with them since he left us!
Last edited by CP Gull on 22 May 2013, 09:59, edited 1 time in total.
diamondgirl
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by diamondgirl »

Jake had his chance when he was with us before. Liked him then and wanted him to stay, but , as CP has said, not set the world alight in his time at San Sixfields. Akinf. No thanks, not for me.
"Thing's turn out best when you make the best of the way thing's turn out."
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

There isn't even a hope of Bayo coming here, lets be realistic.
tauntongull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by tauntongull »

Jake Robinson - no thank you - another fringe player that would turn up for half a dozen games in a season, usually against his former clubs. Had a high opinion of himself 'hence the name JakeyTorres - but never consistently delivered!
May not be the original, but I am the best 'TauntonGull' .... See I can do signatures too, coz I am a real boy!