Retain or Release?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

ferrarilover wrote:Charlie Sheringham is available.

Matt.
and?
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

ferrarilover wrote:Charlie Sheringham is available.

Matt.
Does he do requests? :)
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

ferrarilover wrote:I think the 'release' of McDonald is a clear indication that deals for Downer and Saah are competed bar the formalities. Am I jumping the gun for having added 2 and 2 to make 5?

Matt.
:) :rofl: :) :clap: Not another spelling mistake
Formerly known as forevertufc
wodger of awabia
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Carol Vorderman..eh?

Post by wodger of awabia »

Yellow4life wrote:To release both right backs surely it means we have one lined up already?
Not necessarily A.K. may decide to play without one :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Or put Manse back there ;-)

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
tufc si
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by tufc si »

Scott Brehaut wrote:Or put Manse back there ;-)
Someone urgently locate Mo Camara, I'd have him back in a flash haha!!
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I think the clubs that are linked with Howe tells its own story Hartlepool,Oxford and the like. I have got to agree with FL that in essence these clubs are no bigger than us.
Howe apparently made alot of clubs sit up and take notice last year but we are basically talking average league 2 clubs really.
Howe is a good player but he has drawbacks. He is overweight and basically coasts through alot of games. Maybe not too suprising that there are not a load of League 1 clubs beating the door down really.
Signing Benyon won't be a foregone conclusion either - I can see him interesting other clubs and he may prefer to live nearer London.
Think its a brave retained list by Knill and a good one. We had way to many players that were not League 2 standard Stevens,Macklin etc.
Macdonald did well for us but I basically didn't think he was league 2 standard either so sensible that we are not chasing him either.
Giving Morris another six months on his contract when he was injured seems bizarre as well - I honestly thing him and Craig would have gone as well if they were free agents.
The suprise is Oastler - he was appalling last season generally but was a first team regular.
Knill has got a massive job on his hands now assembling a squad but we almost got relegated for a reason - and that was that too many players were just not good enough.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

tufc si wrote:
Someone urgently locate Mo Camara, I'd have him back in a flash haha!!

already been signed on a 3 yr deal..............
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

It's a typo, not a mistake. Not much of an 'and' really, didn't seem necessary, but then, I made the mistake of treating the forum membership as adults capable of filing in the blanks ;-)

He's a decent striker, that Charlie Sheringham, we'd do much worse.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

If people thought Howe looked lazy and disinterested, Charlie Sheringham takes it to a whole new level (or at least he did a couple of seasons back).

Saying that though, I did see him look completely not bothered and hit a hat-trick at BSS level
Pepperami
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Pepperami »

Right Back: I thought Oastler underachieved this season and although I may have given him another chance I fail to see why the fact that he was a regular in a team that only survived in the last fortnight is a reason to keep him. I imagine Knill will have targets but if we must retain the vastly overrated Mansell I would stick him back in there, where I think he did very well under Buckle.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Pepperami wrote:Right Back: I thought Oastler underachieved this season and although I may have given him another chance I fail to see why the fact that he was a regular in a team that only survived in the last fortnight is a reason to keep him. I imagine Knill will have targets but if we must retain the vastly overrated Mansell I would stick him back in there, where I think he did very well under Buckle.
:rofl:

Close the book on post of the month, this is absolutely hysterical. Well done Peps, you've made my night.

Also, hadn't seen Tezza's post before I made mine. I disagree that MacDonald is not L2 standard, but since you were so gracious about my feelings about the relative merits of OUFC and ourselves, I shan't press the issue :-D

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Bradford want Howe as well apparently.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Don't be silly, Royal. Bradford are the same size club as us!!
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

AustrianAndyGull wrote:RE: THE OXFORD THING

Tell me about it. They've got that syndrome up here in Chesterfield too. Build a new stadium, spend money you haven't got to get promotion and then a few years later when they're struggling again the fans all forget that they are actually a small lower league club and still expect the f*cking earth!!

You are Chesterfield not the next Swansea or Hull. Accept it and move on.

Tossers.

Why? Probably won't be but both of those clubs a few years ago were playing in the same league as Chesterfield. Wigan are no bigger than Chesterfield either in terms of support, history and all the rest of it, Wigan are only in the PL because a rich bloke bought them out. Who knows who might be next to find a sugar daddy.

Clubs like Oxford, Chesterfield, Rotherham and also Luton who I saw mentioned (who took a L2 manager away from his club last year) if someone gets it right at these clubs they could take off. Worryingly it looks most likely to be Fatty Evans, but if you've got the facilities and the bigger budgets which they'll always have because they have the most fans then it is more likely that they will be one of the stronger teams in the league. Bradford was only a matter of time in this league, Plymouth too eventually. Natural selection partly takes place and it is a lot tougher for clubs like us to be consistently in the top 7. We've had 2 great years but a season like last was never going to be too far away because we are competing with clubs even at this level who have 2/3 times our playing budget.