Stop moaning!!

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
diamondgirl
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Stop moaning!!

Post by diamondgirl »

There are some (most) people on this forum who never stop moaning about the club.

If its not the "Mickey Mouse Trophy" it's how unprofessional the club are because they have had to postpone a game!!

What do, some of you want? Make sure we get knocked out of the FAT 1st round? Play league matches on a lottery of a pitch?

What the club needs, is for its supporters to get behind it, not put all of their engergy into slagging the club, the players, the board, the management, the pitch and the traing ground off.

We are a non-league football club not a premier league outfit. Get behind the team/management etc. and lets try and see if, this season, we can at least get to the final (And take the prize money that goes with it) of the "Mickey Mouse Trophy".

If not this season, then maybe next, we can try and push for promotion.

Please people, lets be nice to each other and our club.
"Thing's turn out best when you make the best of the way thing's turn out."
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

The club have really stepped up their social media efforts in the last couple of weeks.

Also gilbert was out and about visiting business's and also the squad meet at the harbour. Yes there is complaints it not been promoted well enoug but the club gets my thanks for actually trying these things and the more they do the better they should get.

Looking forward to Saturday's yellow day and any ideas the club have got for it!

No doubt a lot of this is down to Kelvin so well done for him for getting stuck in!
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
WestKentGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by WestKentGull »

Let's be honest, there are not many on here who thought we'd actually bounce straight back up to the Football League... me included. I'm relatively OK with the way the season has gone so far... yes, there have been some indifferent results and the off-field goings on haven't helped the way the club is perceived... but hopefully, that's all changing (for the better). I'm with diamond girl on this, we're non-league and people shouldn't expect too much from the limited resources we have at the club.

Go through to the final on Saturday and I'll be at Wembley as proud as I was the first time we were there. Lose out on Saturday and I'll still be proud to call myself a Gull and support the club in every way I can - unlike a certain person who frequents this board, a football club is for life, not just when the going gets tough... let's show the board, the players and all the backroom staff that we are 100% behind the club by getting behind them for the rest of the season and next... COYY!
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Agree it's depressing reading about knock this, knock that about the club. Get a reality check: we're non-league for the time being but we'll be back! (To the Football League that is).
In the meantime we need to ensure the weather doesn't rule out Saturday's match! Not sure how though!
diamondgirl
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by diamondgirl »

I agree PR. The club have tried really hard in the last few weeks to try and get the town involved with TUFC.

I always find it really sad that Torquay does not try and promote TUFC. We are in the semi final of a cup competition, (With the possibility of a Wembley appearance) but the only way that you would know about it is if you are actually a TUFC supporter!!

It really does not help matters, that our own "supporters" are hell bent on running the club down. They should be defending everything that TUFC try and do.
diamondgirl
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by diamondgirl »

Absolutely spot on Westkent. "Fans" bemoane the way players perform, in games. If these players were better they would be playing for Manchester United (Bad example at the moment) or Chelsea or Barca, but they are not. They are playing for non-league Torquay United FC. They perform, I'm sure, to the best of their ability. Only 2 teams are going to be promoted, from the conference, that leaves 22 teams who are going to be disappointed. Sadly, I think we will be one of those teams. However, I dont come away, from each match, running the players/management down. I might pick out one or two who didnt have a good game, I might question CH team selection, but they are MY players and Chris is the manager of MY team. Come the next match, I am right there behind them, willing them on to victory. They are not going to win every match, CH is not going to get team tactics/selection correct, every week. They, players management, do what they think is right. If it fails to work so be it. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

If we make it to Wembley, I'll be there cheering them on. If we don't I'll be cheering them on anyway.

COYY
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Agreed with most of your OP Christine, however, if it wasn't for the fact that fans voice their complaints on platforms such as this forum the club would bumble along blissfully unaware of how it was failing its fans.
Nice to see you posting though ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

diamondgirl wrote:Absolutely spot on Westkent. "Fans" bemoane the way players perform, in games. If these players were better they would be playing for Manchester United (Bad example at the moment) or Chelsea or Barca, but they are not. They are playing for non-league Torquay United FC. They perform, I'm sure, to the best of their ability. Only 2 teams are going to be promoted, from the conference, that leaves 22 teams who are going to be disappointed. Sadly, I think we will be one of those teams. However, I dont come away, from each match, running the players/management down. I might pick out one or two who didnt have a good game, I might question CH team selection, but they are MY players and Chris is the manager of MY team. Come the next match, I am right there behind them, willing them on to victory. They are not going to win every match, CH is not going to get team tactics/selection correct, every week. They, players management, do what they think is right. If it fails to work so be it. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. If we make it to Wembley, I'll be there cheering them on. If we don't I'll be cheering them on anyway.
Mostly agree with what you say but it is sad to see how far the club has fallen in just a few seasons since the days of Leroy Rosenior's promotion football to what we are watching now (although this season has been better than last). Whatever folk may say about the F.A. Trophy, it could give the fans another 'Wembley day' and the players the experience of playing on the hallowed turf - something not to be overlooked. I do have a gripe in the way the club is being run, though, and the lack of support that Thea Bristow has received from her so called 'vice-chairmen'. The arrival on the scene of Kelvin (?) - from Oxford - seems to be a step in the right direction and as has already been posted, greater connection with fans and the local community as has happened in the past two or three weeks is good.

Where I feel the Board/management or whoever lets the club down is in instances such as yesterday's postponement. Several of us on here posted on MONDAY that we thought the match would be very doubtful. Yet a pitch inspection didn't take place until after 1pm yesterday and apparently Lincoln weren't kept informed that the match was in doubt. The inspection should have taken place early morning which would have saved Lincoln's travelling costs (and presumably some of their fans who would have been on the road by 1 pm) and our own fans like Burnhamgull who wasted time and petrol because of the late inspection. These are the sort of things that reflect poorly on the club and although Mike Bateson is not everyone's favourite chairman, I don't think that would have happened in his day. There - I've had my moan, Diamondgirl, so i will shut up now ! But basically you are right - we have to stick behind the club and look for better times ahead. To be fair, gates have remained fairly stable at about 2000 so most of us mad die-hard fans are sticking with Chris Hargreaves and the team. :scarf:
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Come on - if you were Burnhamgull you woul be feeling pretty aggrieved if you had made the journey yesterday on a dry day. It is ludicrous that there wasn't any news of a potential postponement earlier in the day (unless of course the club wanted to hush up the whole thing which clearly seems to be the case)
Even the manager came out today and said that he could not imagine what it would have done to the players legs had they played last night - if that isn't a telling comment as to why yesterdays game was called off I don't know what is.
tufcbrett
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Who gets us a win!

Post by tufcbrett »

I can't blame any club in non league to want to win the fa trophy. It gives them a place in the first round proper without having to go through the qualification rounds. Again more money for the club. If the pitch was that bad then if they played last night then could risk the next few games being off if made even worse.

Sadly it looks like you need to spend money and a lot of it to get out of non league and look at Barnet rovers and then even fgr and Eastleigh have spent money and up there. We're trying the best on a small budget. So for the club to get money for the fa trophy the a fa cup place next year can only help
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

The reason the club gets so much grief is there is a lack of communication when players are injured and when things go wrong be honest tell people they will understand. When everyone who wants the club to do well are not informed they guess and that is a bad thing but only human.

Chris should put a weekly short update on what is going on with players and training it's not going to make an ounce of difference to the tactics or the team he puts out. This could be put on the forum at 2-45 on a Saturday and then supporters who care won't knock the manager when he 'can't field the side he wants.

Supporters including myself will knock when we don't know because we think a better side could have been picked.
:keepie:
:keepie: I just think this is common sense as supporters get frustrated, let the manager put a few words on the forum!
After all a forum is for supporters to have their say. :keepie:
njgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by njgull »

tufcbrett wrote:I can't blame any club in non league to want to win the fa trophy. It gives them a place in the first round proper without having to go through the qualification rounds. Again more money for the club. If the pitch was that bad then if they played last night then could risk the next few games being off if made even worse.

Sadly it looks like you need to spend money and a lot of it to get out of non league and look at Barnet rovers and then even fgr and Eastleigh have spent money and up there. We're trying the best on a small budget. So for the club to get money for the fa trophy the a fa cup place next year can only help
Is that bit about getting a first round FA Cup place true? Must be new if it is. Last year's winners were promoted to the League and thus in the first round anyway. When Wrexham won the Trophy 2 years ago they played in FA Cup qualifying rounds the next season.
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP
Watches from: Pop side

Post by taxilady »

this might be the only time ever, but I agree with Brucie !!!!! It's all very well saying that you knew the game would be postponed; we don't all live in Torbay & I lost a day's wages yesterday. It would have been nice for somebody to have given some warning about the state of the pitch earlier in the day. We had beautiful weather where I was, & some rain the preceding days, but not
heavy like last season when it was pretty obvious when games wouldn't be played. After all, there's hardly been any football at the LWS this year !
Can't accuse me of not supporting the Club Diamondgirl, & most of the time I'd agree with you; but I'm still cross about yesterday.
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

As I live in Basingstoke its happened to me more than once, yes its frustrating, but Im sure the ref who actually decided to postpone was doing it as professionally as he could.

And yes stop knocking the club on every bloody thing they do, its tiresome and boring and actually is just another point in dragging the club down. Im sure some fans want that so they can just say "there we are I was right".
TUST MEMBER
harbertongull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: guy branston

Post by harbertongull »

There was a Gulls fan on Twitter today bemoaning our club and calling them amateurish to Lincoln's goalkeeper. What loyalty!!!! As I said to him do the club postpone24 hours before kick off just in case or leave it as late as decently possible?! They're damned if they do and damned if they don't!