Good news to come?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
drummergull90
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: O'Kane

News to brighten our day...

Post by drummergull90 »

Lots of cryptic tweets coming from the official twitter feed this morning, good news on its way at lunch time apparently.

Contracts for Gueguen, McQuilkin and Dawson maybe?

New investors?

Most likely to be 50p off at Babbacombe Model Village when you present your latest match day ticket, but we can but hope.
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

From the official twitter page.

@TUFC1899: Not long now till we announce some news that should brighten your day. It's already sunny in TQ #secretive #sunnyday

Anyone know what this is?
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Hargreaves been sacked?
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Why would a contract for MVGerkin be good news - from what I've seen he is worse than useless. Perhaps that waste of space Harding has been paid off, now that would be good news.
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

Turns out it's just a ticket offer for the promotion play off final.

EDIT: maybe not. Another update to come soon
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
OllieGull
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by OllieGull »

I don't if it's just been spoiled but Non League Pitchero are saying we've taken a striker in on loan from Oxford United...
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

John Campbell is his name according to them.

Thought I remembered the name - he played as a trialist once for Swindon Town in a reserve game and ripped us a part with three goals in an hour. Swindon never did sign him, but I thought at the time maybe we should have!

http://www.thisisswindontownfc.co.uk/ne ... 5.display/

I wonder whether, given the Oxford connection, Kelvin Thomas may have played a part in this?
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

Tweets like this almost always backfire, as people get excited and start speculating about what it could be. Unless it really is incredible news they would probably have been better just releasing the news when ready.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

Confirmed on the BBC site ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31500592

Seems to be true - potentially a good signing in my book. Nice to see that he notched one (within 2 minutes of coming onas a sub) at Home Park earlier in the season for Oxford, in one of only three appearances for them. Seems Oxford have been a little bit naughty here, as according to his previous club - Jarrow Roofing - he was loaned to Oxford in November with a view to a permanent transfer (and more importantly to them an agreed fee) to be paid to them when the transfer window reopened in January and it seems as though Oxford reneged on that arrangement and tried to renegotiate the deal ....

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/sport/loc ... -1-7079369
Last edited by CP Gull on 17 Feb 2015, 13:41, edited 2 times in total.
divingbboy
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by divingbboy »

Striker John Campbell signed on loan from Oxford United until the end of the season
TUST member 203
Bomber
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Bomber »

His previous clubs include Jarrow Roofing, a former club of Wes Saunders.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

A warm welcome to him and hope he does well, however - three things that spring to mind

1 - I hope Oxford are paying 100% of his wages otherwise I really be really p1ssed if I was McQuilkin, Gueguen and Dawson.
2 - Are we helping Oxford sh1t on the little guy by taking a guy on loan who they will only pay a fee for IF he makes 10 appearances for them (and by being here ruling that out but meaning he gets first team football at a level above what he has being playing at before?)
3 - Is this a Hargreaves signing or a 'boardroom' one. We all know how that worked out with Mo!!
Last edited by Richinns on 17 Feb 2015, 13:36, edited 1 time in total.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

Certainly seems to know where the back of the net is - scores all FIVE here! Including a rather decent fifth one from the halfway line!

CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

Very confusing story here, but I think I can just about figure out what has happened ..

It seems Campbell(26) was signed on a 2 year contract last summer by Jarrow Roofing and so when Oxford Utd came calling in November after he had scored a shed load of goals for the Northern Premier League 1 side, he signed "on loan" from them (because it was outside of the transfer window) with, at least as far as Jarrow were concerned, a deal struck that Campbell would sign a permanent deal until the end of this season with Oxford when the transfer window reopened in January - also given that he was under contract, a transfer fee was agreed.

Now, what happens next gets a bit more confusing as the North East media seem to suggest that Oxford decided they wanted to change the terms of the deal, presumably not keen to pay the "agreed" transfer fee. It was suggested that as a permanent deal hadn't been completed he would therefore return to Jarrow Roofing as he was still their player. Whether he ever left Oxford to return to Jarrow is unclear but either way it seems he never played for them.

To the surprise of Oxford fans, it seems that he is indeed THEIR player now - makes me wonder whether the Football League got involved as there is no way we can loan a loan player from Oxford if he is still registered on a contract with Jarrow! So, however the dispute was resolved remains unclear but one thing I think we can safely assume is that he is contracted to Oxford United and not Jarrow Roofing anymore. I imagine, given the comments on the OS that we are paying some if not all of his wages (they talk of finding some "funds") and that Campbell may well be made available as a free agent in the summer as surely a return to Oxford looks unlikely.

It represents a good opportunity for Campbell to play at a higher level than he has been used to, albeit not In the Football League. He certainly seems to be a "natural" goalscorer!
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Presume neither Reid nor Campbell are FA Trophy cup-tied so could figure in one or both Wrexham games.
I, too, hope our three non-contract players are being looked after properly especially Gueguen.b