Conor Thompson contract cancelled - Signed for Newport

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Conor Thompson contract cancelled - Signed for Newport

Post by Scott Brehaut »

News Release:
UNITED have agreed to cancel the contract for Conor Thompson by mutual consent.

The young goalkeeper joined the Plainmoor youth system after leaving his hometown club of Swindon, graduating to a pro contract for the Gulls earlier this season.

He has recently been on loan at Swindon Supermarine and everyone at Plainmoor would like to wish Conor great success in his future career.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

I think this is a bad move unless it's because he wants to play more. Always liked promising to me, not doubting his youth international caps
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

If the kid (Lavercombe) is showing he has more promise and will be taller (Always an issue for Conor) then I can understand this. I wish him all the best for his future.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

As per Rich, the reasons are clear. Forever will be along shortly to make the argument against the modern obsession with height in goalkeepers, and when he does, he'll be right.

Lavercombe is very highly regarded in youth circles and we don't really need four keepers (especially since we don't play reserve games), so Connor suffers from 'middle child syndrome'.

A shame since he's very obviously a talented lad. This should be a warning to any youngsters hoping to make it in any profession - there's more to it than talent alone and you need to be prepared for that.

Matt.
Last edited by ferrarilover on 30 Jan 2014, 16:33, edited 1 time in total.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Don't be fooled in to thinking when a player has his contract cancelled by the good old mutual consent chestnut, it's always at the request of the player, as I am sure must know, can be a case of the club saying, you're no longer in the plans, time's up, going to be effectively frozen out. You can see out your contract, but the best way forward is to leave now and find your self another club, of course that may not be the case with Connor Thompson, but it does often happen that way.

height of goalkeepers , don't get me started on that, could bang on for hours on this subject. This obsession about 6ft 2in, keepers is just barmy.

Andy Goram, made 620 senior appearance's including Rangers and 2 games on loan at Man.U, also picked up 43 Scotland caps, at 5ft 11 in, simply would not even open doors in todays football, and certainly wouldn't make it as a pro keeper, Shilton at 6ft dead would need a slice of luck, and Gordon Banks at 6ft 1 in , well who knows, we have a 15 year old keeper on the books right here taller than those three.

Agreed, it does take so much more than talent to make in todays game, mental strength, good controlled aggression, and being in the right place at the right time, does help.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Back in the day, the only way the "fat kid" got a game was to "look big" (no problem there) between the two stacks of piled jumpers.

The fat f****r saves a few and thinks how much better he can be if he grows upwards as well as sideways. In this game if you wish to advance, It's one or the other fatso, so don't miss your chance.

Hence the kink/fetish/fondness for tall f****rs. :-/
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Did he play in the 1st team. No , so whilst we can argue he is a loss. He isn't ! Another off the wage bill, with poke and rice fit and both more than adequate we need more in other positions.
Lucy
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

He like most of the other youngsters was no where near the standard required which is why he and most of them will all be gone in a few months time.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Oh and forever is spot on. If a goalkeeper coach is actually interested in height then he is not worth keeping either. Absolute cop out
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

How tall was Andy Donnelly?
torq2u
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Ken Sandercock
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by torq2u »

How tall was Andy Donnelly?

Ah, another club legend. He was 5' 8" according to my records. My hero when a lad - he left me complimentary tickets for away games near where I lived (London).

Agile and a good stopper - did well in Divs 3 & 4. Part of the near-promotion side of 1968.
TUST member 200 ;-)
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

Shay Given?
Bloggy
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Bloggy »

It would appear from his Twitter feed that he's signed for Newport County... nothing confirmed on their site yet though.
Good luck to him if so.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.