ITV Westcountry - Buckle

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
lwilton
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

ITV Westcountry - Buckle

Post by lwilton »

The Bristol Rovers chairman was on westcountry tonight talking about PB tonight. Link to video and quote below.
Buckle's new challenge
2.08PM Tue May 31 2011
Bristol Rovers have spoken of their delight at appointing Paul Buckle as the club's new manager. Rovers, who were relegated to League Two at the end of a miserable season, have been managerless since they sacked Dave Penney in March.

But Paul Buckle's exit from Torquay comes just days after he guided them to the League Two play-off final, where they lost to Stevenage. Bristol Rovers' have confirmed that a deal had already been brokered before Torquay began the play-offs.
http://www.itv.com/westcountry-west/rov ... ager08814/

It seems its official, He definately had agreed to go before the final.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Yet Buckle stated that no deal had been done. Snake.
diamondgirl
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by diamondgirl »

Football's worst kept secret. Thanks Bucks!
"Thing's turn out best when you make the best of the way thing's turn out."
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Lied to supporters the very people that paid his wages,,,,,Rovers take note.
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Regiment »

as had been mentioned elsewhere, we probably all knew the deal was done, but had he come out and said the deal was done, he'd have been slated. don't get me wrong, i'm not defending him, i've had my say already, and i think it's disgusting the way the entire thing has been handled/allowed to happen, but the main issue for me is the players MUST'VE known, and it MUST'VE had an impact, regardless of the results/performances against Shrews.

as i said elsewhere, when that first call came in from Rovers, someone at our club should've said, "naff off, call back in June, we've got a promotion to play for".

the only silver lining, is you would HOPE that our club, having known this, would have been making plans of their own, and i'm sure they have. i guess we'll find out soon.
Brady

I Wish I Was There
drummergull90
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: O'Kane

Post by drummergull90 »

Just confirms what we already knew. Very disappointed. Such a good manager, shame he hasn't got an ounce of integrity.
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

Sadly I think it'll only dawn on Buckle what a prat he has been if a club treat him the way he's treated us. The kind of way West Ham treated Avram Grant by trying to sign up Martin O'Neil behind his back.
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

[quote="regiment"]as had been mentioned elsewhere, we probably all knew the deal was done, but had he come out and said the deal was done, he'd have been slated. don't get me wrong, i'm not defending him, i've had my say already, and i think it's disgusting the way the entire thing has been handled/allowed to happen, but the main issue for me is the players MUST'VE known, and it MUST'VE had an impact, regardless of the results/performances against Shrews.

as i said elsewhere, when that first call came in from Rovers, someone at our club should've said, "naff off, call back in June, we've got a promotion to play for".

the only silver lining, is you would HOPE that our club, having known this, would have been making plans of their own, and i'm sure they have. i guess we'll find out soon.

Really wish I shared your confidence. I have nothing but respect for the board in the way they have saved the club and generally moved forward over the past few years. But when you consider the way events have been handled over the last fortnight, particulalry bucklegate, it doesn't fill me with confidence that they are pro active right now. Players are being secured and signed up on a daily basis and we still have no idea who our manager will be.
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Regiment »

HRG wrote:Sadly I think it'll only dawn on Buckle what a prat he has been if a club treat him the way he's treated us. The kind of way West Ham treated Avram Grant by trying to sign up Martin O'Neil behind his back.
when i was an apprentice in my first job/company (a very big company at the time), i witnessed one of the "old boys" having a right old row with one of the directors. the row ended when the old boy said "be careful who you step on getting to the top, cos they'll be waiting to kick you on your way back down" and he walked away. i've never forgotten that.
Brady

I Wish I Was There
drummergull90
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: O'Kane

Post by drummergull90 »

I agree Dave. We really need to get our act together. Decide who is staying or going and offer some contracts. Players of Branston and Stanley's quality won't wait around forever.
kingsgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: sloped off

Post by kingsgull »

you could tell especially in the first half that the players didnt seem themselves and that an air of not knowing was there which really was a shame as we all know Torquay when in thier proper frame of mind would of been much more confident...

I am angry that a 3 year deal was struck days before the PO final....not sure who's worse PB or Bristol Rovers ?
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Regiment »

kingsgull wrote:you could tell especially in the first half that the players didnt seem themselves and that an air of not knowing was there which really was a shame as we all know Torquay when in thier proper frame of mind would of been much more confident...

I am angry that a 3 year deal was struck days before the PO final....not sure who's worse PB or Bristol Rovers ?
i think the blame can be spread out evenly, including our own club, to be honest. as previously stated, i cannot believe TUFC didn't tell rovers to get stuffed, and come back in June if seriously interested. :@
Brady

I Wish I Was There
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Disgusted. Nothing more to be said.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
diamondgirl
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by diamondgirl »

I've just watched the "Westcountry" link, and was a little disappointed to hear Branno being interviewed. Not sure when it was done, but I assume it was after the play off final. He, obviously, knew that Buckle was going, and I can only guess that he (And the rest of the squad) were aware that Buckle was leaving, prior to the game being played. Possible explanation for the poor, un-Torquay like, 1st half performance. Thanks a lot Bristol Rovers and Paul Buckle!
"Thing's turn out best when you make the best of the way thing's turn out."
friendlygas
First Regular
First Regular

Post by friendlygas »

I really can't see what we have done wrong here and dont see that it would influence your Play off final anymore than the two legged semi final in which you were brilliant.Rovers approached your Board for permission to talk to Paul Buckle and were given poermission by YOUR chairman to do so. Personally I would hope that our Chairman in a similar situation would have said NO but I am not sure he would have done as I have recoillections of a similar thing happening when John Ward was our Manager and we were going for Promotion and Ward was interviewed by Watford. The difference being he didnt get the job and the Board sacked Ward at the end of the season but we have ALWAYS given John Ward a very warm welcome at the Mem in appreciation of what he did for us. As regards Paulk Buckles part in this I think he acted proffessionally. What would you do in your job if you were in a similar position? If you were in with a chance of what YOU considered a better job (I am not saying that Managing us is a better job) would you say wait till the seasons over and know that probably that would end your hopes of the job?
Secondly if you were offered the job and said Yes would you go and tell everybody you had the job if there was still a job to be done?
As I see it the only problem here was that Buckle was seen by somebody leaving the Memorial Stadium at the time interviews were being conducted and the rumours built from there. I can appreciate you are unhappy with the outcome but in a similar position I would think your Board would act in the same way as ours.