The National League Farce

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

The National League Farce

Post by dawlishmatt »

I understand that the National League have tonight written to the 66 member clubs giving 4 options.
The first resolution is in the form of 2 separate votes, one for Premier and the other for the North and south divisions. If they agree to these resolutions then a straight yes or no majority will be the outcome eg 12 clubs in premier vote to continue the season and the remaining 11 vote to end the season now, then the season will continue.
Disturbing news from Martyn ZIegler, chief sports reporter of the Times is saying that all 3 National league Divisions likely to terminate season as early as this week.
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

following my earlier posting, i see that the National League have just issued a statement that explains everything on it's own website.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

"Inexcusable' to end the National League season.
Last edited by MellowYellow on 01 Feb 2021, 22:08, edited 1 time in total.
Donuts76
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Loram

Post by Donuts76 »

i dont know enough about the constitution, but odd that resolution 1 is a special one and 4 is not. It suggests the authors of it want to end the season.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

"Inexcusable' to end the National League season.

Although the funding is primarily based on loans, it is clear that grants will be available for those clubs that would not be in a position to repay. The terms of any loans are extremely favourable, up to 20 years to repay with an initial four-year holiday period, and at only 2% interest rate.

If they withdrew furlough payments to football clubs watch them all sign up then.

What happens next season if there happens to be another Covid outbreak lockdown, I assume the National League would not be given 'elite status' next time round in order to play as the league will have betrayed that position.

I hate this Micky Mouse league.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Donuts76 wrote: 01 Feb 2021, 21:51 i dont know enough about the constitution, but odd that resolution 1 is a special one and 4 is not. It suggests the authors of it want to end the season.
Resolution 1 is 'special' because all clubs will have one vote each.
Resolution 4 is 'ordinary' so the NLN and NLS will only get 8 votes between them whilst the NLP will get one vote each (note: Wrexham will abstain because they will not be entitled to funding from Sport England).
yeovilgull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by yeovilgull »

https://www.thenationalleague.org.uk/na ... DZBSK8Haco

The way I understand it is that there are 31 votes on resolution 1 (23 from National League Prem and 4 each from N & S).

This needs 75% (24) to be passed to allow NLP and N/S to vote on their own future via Res 2 and 3 which then require 50% (12 of 23) in NLP to vote in favour of season continuing.

If Res 1 fails it goes straight to res 4 and back to 31 votes on whether the whole of the three leagues continue. This would then require a 50% majority (16) either way.

I can see clubs voting to decide on their own futures with Res 1 being passed in which case it would need 12 clubs in NLP to agree for the season to continue.

I think this will be tight but quite possible.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

**** sake is this a farce or what?

Why do they need to have a vote on what clubs should decide on which leagues they are voting for. Its patently obvious that NLN and NLS are completely different from the National League as one is almost an exclusively pro league and the others are mostly part time so it would therefore beggar belief that Arsend United from the Nl South should be voting on what Torquay or Notts County do - I mean its laughable (or it would be if it was funny).

So why does that resolution need 75% whereby the others need 50% ?- obviously because if North and South get to vote for what happens over all 3 league leagues then obviously they are all going to end (which is what the board wants to happen)

I mean why the **** do they need a resolution for that? its common sense that the two lower leagues vote for what happens to their leagues and the National league votes separately.

Meanwhile the DCMS have apparently been asked by the National League for copies of the minutes of the meeting at the start of the seasons. Are these bastards thick or what? Bit late now isn't it?

Meanwhile National League teams continue to sign players on loan like they are going out of fashion Wealdstone today have signed one from Arsenal and one for Watford.

The National League Board should be bending over backwards and doing everything in their power to maintain the integrity of the National League and see that it gets played to its conclusion, but it seems that they are hellbent on doing the opposite.

You just couldn't make it up.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Fan Banter seem to have a straw poll of who is likely to vote what in the NationL League.

They have the scores on the doors as 6 - 1 in favour of playing on with Wrexham Abstaining

Sutton,Notts County,Maidenhead, Altrincham, Solihull Moors,Chesterfield (PLAY ON)

Dover Shysters Athletic (STOP)

Torquay will make that 7-1 so I guess would need another 5 votes from the rest. Possibly Eastliegh, FC Halifax, Bromley and Boreham Wood are not far off the play off positons but all are keeping quiet which maybe isn't a good thing. Going lower down theres alot of clubs who won't want to carry on so I am not sure that the majority would end up in favour of ccarrying on.
grockle
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Willie Brown

Post by grockle »

If vote 1 requires 75% to pass, then if 7 clubs want to carry on, surely it will fail in his objective.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

grockle wrote: 02 Feb 2021, 01:18 If vote 1 requires 75% to pass, then if 7 clubs want to carry on, surely it will fail in his objective.
I think it may be 8 Clubs required to defeat Resolution 1, even if Wrexham abstain? But, realistically, won't the bigger Clubs agree to allow the NLN and NLS to decide their own fate? If so, the fate of the NLP season will also be decided but on a straight majority under Resolution 2 ie 12 Clubs will be needed to vote against for the season to continue unless Wrexham abstain (in which case it is 11). The alternative would be that 16 Clubs would be required to defeat Resolution 4 (or 15 if Wrexham abstained) which is another reason for the bigger Clubs to support Resolution 1.
Phil

Remember its a marathon not a sprint
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

brucie wrote: 01 Feb 2021, 23:59 Fan Banter seem to have a straw poll of who is likely to vote what in the NationL League.

They have the scores on the doors as 6 - 1 in favour of playing on with Wrexham Abstaining

Sutton,Notts County,Maidenhead, Altrincham, Solihull Moors,Chesterfield (PLAY ON)

Dover Shysters Athletic (STOP)

Torquay will make that 7-1 so I guess would need another 5 votes from the rest. Possibly Eastliegh, FC Halifax, Bromley and Boreham Wood are not far off the play off positons but all are keeping quiet which maybe isn't a good thing. Going lower down theres alot of clubs who won't want to carry on so I am not sure that the majority would end up in favour of ccarrying on.
Possibly add Wealdstone to the carry on vote as they've just brought in a player on loan.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

You could not write this as a West End farce any better, this is about clubs playing politics , if the 10 million being handed out came to us and the NLN and NLS as a grant and not a loan then none of this would be happening, only the clubs below our leagues who already receive furlough money get a share of the money as a grant.
I cannot see how the likes of Yeovil can have their chairman sitting on the national league management committee influencing policy when all that concerns him and their club is avoiding relegation.
SouthHams
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by SouthHams »

Surely if NLS and NLN vote to end those leagues then there should be no relegation from the NL. This would be a incentive for any NL club with even a sniff wanting to continue.

Poor old Wrexham can only watch on and wait.
yeovilgull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by yeovilgull »

People have been suggesting Yeovil want the league stopped but I’m not sure this is necessarily the case. The club still have play off ambitions and believe they can achieve this with their improved form and games in hand. They have also made a few signings to strengthen the squad recently.