HMV Torquay

General chat about anything else goes here.
MidDevon
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

HMV Torquay

Post by MidDevon »

Very sad to hear today that HMV in Torquay is closing....a checkered past maybe but still a great place to browse whilst the wifey is spending my money in town
Hope the team there, who are always really friendly find themselves a new job quickly
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Chesterfield store is closing too and given the demise of our only other music shop HUDSONS last year, it leaves our town with nothing for the music purchasing public. Admittedly i buy most of my stuff online as a lot of my metal and indie stuff doesn't make it into the shops and can only be bought online but it is good to browse inside HMV now and again.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

That's always the problem though, too many people browse and not enough buy in HMV, hence why they're going bust.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

hmv have been far too greedy down the years. they were always more expensive for videos, dvds and cd's than anyone else on the high street, long before online competitors were affecting their business. in some cases items have been a good few quid dearer than the likes of woolworths, our price and virgin. i am surprised hmv outlasted them. they are still a lot dearer than supermarkets and online now. sometimes still a few quid more. :-o

when hmv have a sale they arent bad though so i dont understand why they have to be so expensive to begin with.

it is a great shame i actually shopped for quite a few things in hmv at christmas when they had some good deals, and for some recent birthdays. online shopping is great but nothing beats going in a shop, spotting something you like, having it in your hand, buying it and taking it home. apart from supermarkets i dont think we have any shops that sell cd's and dvd's now. :(

blockbuster, clinton cards, comet and woolworths all places that have gone into administration or gone belly up because they got too expensive. :no:

woolies was crap the last few years. even in a sale they would whack the rrp ticket right up then knock a bit off and make it look like you had a good deal. we are not stupid. :slap:

comet - another company dearer than their competitors. always trying to scvrew that few extra quid out of consumers.even when they had their fire sale after the administrators came in people were coming out of stores saying even with 20% off they were still dearer than currys or other similar retailers. :-/

clinton cards. dont even get me started. HOW MUCH for a poxy birthday card. such a poncy over priced shop. nice knik knaks and noveltys sometimes but way overpriced. no wonder they are in trouble. :no:

blockbuster. well expensive games and dvd's for sale. ex rental sales ridiculously priced - some dearer than new would be elsewhere. rental for 1 new movie £3.50 - do me a favour. noticed lately they have done better rental deals with things like rent 2 movies 2 nights £5. why didnt they do things like that before. :|

pure unadulterated greed is what has done for these shops and it is their own fault they have gone t!ts up. i dont feel sorry for the companies in the slightest but do for the poor souls who have worked for them. :aww:

and dont even get me started on bloody apollo cinema. i know they havent gone but it is a disgrace what they charge for admission and food and drinks. the cinema is almost empty at most screenings and they moan about it. what do they expect. even on days when they have deals, it still mounts up. they deserve to be in trouble.
greedy £@*#ers! :@
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

There's an independent record shop it Torre which might do quite well once HMV closes.Has been selling vinyl even when nobody was buying it but its become fashionable again now so believe the proprietor is doing quite well. Personally I miss LP's and still like to look at the cover designs. Downloads have obviously been game-changers for record/DVD shops bur provided prices are kept low there's still a market.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by chunkygull »

={"Behind-the-Gulls"] = There's an independent record shop it Torre which might do quite well once HMV closes.Has been selling vinyl even when nobody was buying it but its become fashionable again now so believe the proprietor is doing quite well. Personally I miss LP's and still like to look at the cover designs. Downloads have obviously been game-changers for record/DVD shops bur provided prices are kept low there's still a market.[/
my point exactly, if hmv werent so damn greedy they would be fine. they always charge way more than anyone else. apart from when they have a sale. if they can do that then why be so expensive in the first place.:@

didnt realise the record shop was still in torre. good news. i used to use torre records a lot when i was a young buck "studying" (yeah right) at the old tech. i bought all sorts from there - vinyl, cd's, posters, videos, t shirts etc.aaaahhh good old days. :)
the shop did move to the other side of the road, then changed owners and was never quite the same. but nice to hear theyre doing well. :)
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
FishGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Downes

Post by FishGull »

Does anyone know WHEN it is closing because I was planning to nip in there soon??
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by chunkygull »

closures are due to take place over the next 4 to 6 weeks.

:scarf:
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

Why are you celebrating closures?!
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by chunkygull »

nobody is celebrating closures, believe me, far from it. i find it all absolutely gutting to be honest.i have been made redundant in recent times and was constantly waiting for and dreading the chop for over 2 years and i was turned into a complete wreck, i have an idea how the poor buggers being laid off feel.

believe me i feel for them, i really do.

i got to a stage a few years ago when i couldnt watch the news or read a paper because of all the talk of the credit crunch, job cuts and redundancies. and i wouldnt go anywhere near town so i didnt have to look at empty shops.i ended up with anxiety attacks leading to bouts of depression eventually.

the point i am making is many of the companies that are gone or are in administration are the greedy, badly managed ones who are more expensive than everyone else for the same product. the greedy fat cats at the top deserve what they get. the staff most certainly do not.

every store that goes is not only losing jobs now, but future jobs and prospects also. that just means more unemployed competing for thew same jobs that are left and the problem just gets worse.

believe me i am not celebrating closures.
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

chunkygull wrote:every store that goes is not only losing jobs now, but future jobs and prospects also. that just means more unemployed competing for thew same jobs that are left and the problem just gets worse.
Which end up being outsourced to cheaper laboured countries or they go to those that aren't British because they work for less.

Not saying I have the answer but it's wrong. Hey ho I'll stick to running websites.
⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest