League 2 Roundup Thread

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

League 2 Roundup Thread

Post by Jeff »

There were 2 reasons why I wanted to start this thread.

First and foremost, to discuss the off-season events happening at other clubs in one place without focussing on one team in particular. So far, Oxford, Bristol Rovers, Crawley and Northampton have been recruiting some decent players - some of the more recognisable faces in the division. You would expect all of these clubs to be challenging throughout the coming season.

But secondly, i wanted to use it as a thinly veiled attempt to gain a sense of perspective given the events of the past few days and weeks.

What made me think of this was an article I saw on the bbc site. Swindon recently announced the signing of 2 players, Joe Devera (ex Barnet CB) and Jonathon Smith (ex York midfielder). Now I'm no football scout, but I take a keen interest in lower league football and I don't know an awful lot about these 2 players - and I'd be surprised if anyone else on here knew much about them too. I would stick my neck out and say if it had been us who had signed them, we'd be seeing this place flooded with comments like "Nobody" and "Conference Player" etc etc. But this is a side who have realistic hopes of Promotion, a high profile manager and a much bigger budget.

What I'm saying is, that although some clubs have stolen a march on us, not all of them have and thus we're not in a bad position relative. To name a few:

Accrington - signed nobody
Southend - signed nobody
Macclesfield - signed nobody
Dagenham - signed nobody
Plymouth - signed nobody and haven't even sorted their finances out yet
Gillingham - signed nobody, and have to replace Akinfenwa, McDonald and Barcham, basically all their goals from last season

Although we have been hit hard, and weakened by the last few weeks we're not miles behind everyone else. Martin Ling was working on building up a scouting network whilst on "gardening leave" from Cambridge, not sat at home playing tiddlywinks so I'm comfortable that he'll have an idea on who he wants to look at bringing in.

Anyway, I digress - hidden agenda moment over. Hopefully we can use this thread to discuss the goings-on at other clubs throughout the summer.
yellowforever
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Our next signing

Post by yellowforever »

Joe Devera's a good player and won Barnet's player of the year, and the York fans were gutted to lose the midfielder.

Good points though, we're in a much better position that a lot of the teams in the division, we now have stability in a manager, and he's got the rest of the summer to sort out his team!

Good post!
"We are now so far up sh*t creek our boat is actually poking out the end of someones toilet bowl."
Brucie. 27/02/14
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

If only I'd started this thread under a different name a whole month ago...

After the last couple of seasons of relative stability and more incomings than outgoings, this summer has been deeply disappointing so far. The calibre of player we have missed out on or lost already is very high and very sad.

Hopefully this ends now with the appointment of Ding-a-Ling.

Regards everyone else, there are some big hitters down here now who are willing to offer massive money to absolutely anyone that they have decided upon. I can't help feeling that, moreso than ever before, the have nots in L2 will find themselves priced out of the market for the better players.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
andygull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Guy Branston

Post by andygull »

Devera is quality at this level and can chip in with the odd goal or two. If it had been us that signed him i would be pleased. You underestimate how much knowledge our fans have about most players at our level Jeff but nevertheless a good post and interested to see peoples views on other clubs signings. Got to be honest and say generally i haven't been paying too much attention in recent weeks so i can't help anybody on that score with any further info on signings.
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

Southend have signed Neil Harris from Milwall a few days ago...
andygull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by andygull »

Yep i did read that somewhere, shame he didn't fancy retiring on the bay. It sure beats Southend and Clacton!!
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

I'm not sure Torbay beats anywhere nowadays.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Crawley have also signed Everton youngster Hope Akpan. Virtual unknown, but if their main website is to be believed they have outmuscled several Championship/League One sides for his signature.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

NickGull wrote:Crawley have also signed Everton youngster Hope Akpan. Virtual unknown, but if their main website is to be believed they have outmuscled several Championship/League One sides for his signature.
Clearly a player with great ambition then.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
andygull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by andygull »

Fonda wrote:I'm not sure Torbay beats anywhere nowadays.
I,ve been away a good few years now but i didn't think things had got that bad that its on a par with Clacton!! Maybe Harris should go to Summer Bay! :lol:
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

andygull wrote:I,ve been away a good few years now but i didn't think things had got that bad that its on a par with Clacton!! Maybe Harris should go to Summer Bay! :lol:
Good place to move to if you're a footballer; you're equally good Home and Away...
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

From other forums the main reason he's gone there (other than a three year contract I believe) is the fact he actually lives in Southend..
andygull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by andygull »

happytorq wrote: Good place to move to if you're a footballer; you're equally good Home and Away...
Oh Happytorq,that is truly awful :red: but funny! :lol:
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

andygull wrote:Devera is quality at this level and can chip in with the odd goal or two. If it had been us that signed him i would be pleased. You underestimate how much knowledge our fans have about most players at our level Jeff but nevertheless a good post and interested to see peoples views on other clubs signings. Got to be honest and say generally i haven't been paying too much attention in recent weeks so i can't help anybody on that score with any further info on signings.
Didnt know Devera had won POTY at Barnet so I'll hold my hands up there, but I still stand by my point. Anonymous to awful when we played them at their place, and as for "the odd goal or 2".......

http://www.soccerbase.com/players/searc ... ype=player" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2 goals in 200 senior appearances! After the furore of us bringing Ling in, this place would have been up in arms had we been the ones signing him!
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

andygull wrote:Devera is quality at this level and can chip in with the odd goal or two. If it had been us that signed him i would be pleased. You underestimate how much knowledge our fans have about most players at our level Jeff but nevertheless a good post and interested to see peoples views on other clubs signings. Got to be honest and say generally i haven't been paying too much attention in recent weeks so i can't help anybody on that score with any further info on signings.
I don't neccassarily underestimate how much our fans know about players at any level. But. I do have severe reservations about how much our or any fans know about money. I doubt that they have a clue about what a player wants and I get a little fed up listening to fans clamour for this player or that. If they added up all the players demands that they asked and then mulltiplied it by the number of players that the fans want then I have no doubt that we would be in admisitration faster than Plymouth fans can say it.
I wonder if any of us can really come up with a budget and who they would sign and what the cost would be to bring a new player in.
Factor in
1. signing on fee. I bet there is one for the better players.
2. Relocation expenses
3. Living accomodation if the player comes a distance from his home or last club
4. Wages.
5 Bonuses.
6. Tax and NI
7 Insurance

Thats what I can think of right now.
No good being a whizz at a computer game. they rarely give insight to reality. I bet League manager of whatever the football cyber game is called hasn't these factored in. Come on Guys. I lay a challenge down to you
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843