Aveley F C vs Torquay United Sat 2 Sept KO 3pm

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Just watched the highlights. Truly horrific that was Looks like we have about 4 fit for purpose players Halstead, Lapslie, Jarvis and Stobbs. We could have lost that 7-1 and they didnt look anything special - its just that we have so many players who arnt up to it.

Hardly needs a brain surgeon to tell that the main issue is the defence, because there isnt one. God knows what Johnson sees in Martin because he is piss weak. Tomlinson looks like a 13 year old who has ended up on the wrong pitch. At one stage he somehow managed to completely lose his man from a throw in and leave him through on goal. Absolutely awful.

I'd seriously consider putting in Crowe and Hanson in place of Martin and Tomlinson. Its difficult to see how they could do any worse.

Averley wernt great but we made them look like world beaters.
davidcaldwell123
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Marl Loram

Post by davidcaldwell123 »

desperado wrote: 03 Sep 2023, 14:47 We need 11 players with the winning mentality and fight of Dave Caldwell, there doesn't seem to be that with this young team. I think they have more than enough ability to be doing a lot better performance wise but the management seem to taking an awfully long time considering most were here last season to get them playing as a well drilled passing team with a real desire to be successful. We're still waiting for a performance this season after 7 games
It sometimes can be a simple as that in certain leagues don’t over complicate things, get your players fitter and to work harder than the opponents is a good start.

I would need to look under the bonnet to understand the full extent of the problem, but it’s certain there is a problem trying to ignore that fact is not a good thing in my opinion.
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

davidcaldwell123
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Marl Loram

Post by davidcaldwell123 »

:goodpost:
Gullsandbeyond121
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Gullsandbeyond121 »

That is truly painful to watch, a total embarrassment.
Beaten by a part time village team who have given us a lesson. Shamefull from our once proud club.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

MellowYellow wrote: 03 Sep 2023, 12:50 And the players (on full-time pro contracts) responsibility for their actions or decisions on the field is down to who? Just the manager? Not for me that! Where was the attitude and desire of the players to compete against a hard-working village-green side on Sat?

At least can us fans adopt a strategy in deciding whether the manager should be sacked rather than shooting from the hip. Even if it's only a short honeymoon period of 10 games, to set the trapdoor. The level of that trap door? the average number of points per game; if the manager’s performance falls below this, then consideration can be given if he ought to depart, even if we find ourselves in a play-off spot at that time. Johnson target is approx 2 points a game so let's hold him to that and see what happens over the next three games. Then at that time we can all put up or shut up.
I have great respect for your opinions, yes the players do have to take some responsibility, but the manager and coaching staff have to give them a chance to perform, an atmosphere to thrive as you know. GJ seems to want a back 3 to be his default set up, so why sign Crowe and Martin who are not wing backs, so then we've seen attempts to convert Stobbs/DeSilva and Collins into attack full/wing backs , which takes away from their natural game, GJ likes hard working midfielders getting up and down the pitch, so once again we're asking players to fulfil roles they simply can't as Hanson/Mcgavin and Hall have no pace.

So we should either be in the business of trying to sign players that match the philosophy as best as we can, or change the way we play to suit the strengths of the players we have.

For me I would suggest 4-2-3-1 , we have Moxey/Hall/Donallen and Lapslie who could all play the 2 laying midfielder role, it would offer some protection to the back 4, collins/Stobbs/DeSilva could fulfil the wide attack roles, with out having to take up defensive positions/Duties to a point, would still be required at times, Lapslie would be my preferred central midfielder, both Hanson and McGavin could also fulfil that role as pace getting back isn't so important, and McGavin does have a decent short pass, and shot on him, the only problem you lose Ash potentially, as many would see Jarvis as the better lone front man, however there's no guarantees with any tactical set up.
Formerly known as forevertufc
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Dave wrote: 03 Sep 2023, 19:50 So we should either be in the business of trying to sign players that match the philosophy as best as we can, or change the way we play to suit the strengths of the players we have.
On this point we can both sing off the same hymn sheet but possibility in different keys like two armchair managers who claim to know all the answers to a problem, but have little or no experience or real understanding of it. I have been bleating on since game two that we need introduce a deep-lying playmaker using either Hall or McGavin to use their technique and passing - rather than pace - to control the flow of the team's play. My reasoning is I want to see possession football - ball to feet - not hoof-ball. Simples! - or is it!

At the end of the day all this board is for is to express opinions nothing more, nothing less. A football result should really have no bearing on one's life, if it does its time to stop supporting the team and take up lacrosse.
Cheddargull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Cheddargull »

Admiral wrote: 03 Sep 2023, 13:27 Why is it that when Owers got us relegated about 95% wanted him out, but not Johnson? At least the bloke was a good scout that basically gave Johnson a good team. Just don’t see why we should accept the way we are performing in the SIXTH tier just because it’s Gary Johnson. He’s on tenure
Owers replaced Kevin Nicholson, a very popular figure among the fans. At the time with conspiracy theories flying about regarding Clarke Osborne and Gaming International Nicholson was regarded somewhat As a martyr.
As for Johnson's continuing popularity, I think there are those who simply cannot face the fact that Johnson is pass his sell by date. They refuse to see that Johnson's early success here was achieved with Owers' team and since it has broken up post-Ashton Gate Johnson has been incapable of recruiting an effective football team in its place. Like with all legends the good times eventually come to an end, and some need to recognise that has occurred here.
toastkid
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: david graham

Post by toastkid »

Sensible views from Dave Caldwell.
Mellow also talks in a considered way.

I've been criticised for questioning what GJ should do with the players. Many think GJ should go, I'd rather focus on what we have.

You can't criticise Hanson and McGavin for Saturday's performance, as I (and I didn't go to the game) don't think they played.

Personally, I'd play them both next game. McGavin with Hanson and Laps on either side. Then if they don't perform criticise them. I don't think they've both played a full game this season. That would give us numbers in the middle of the park to grab hold of the game.

Flat back 4, but yes, change what we had. Try crowe at rb, martin left, moxey and marshall at cb. Two playing off Jarvis, perhaps sitting a bit deeper up front. De silva and stobbs.

I quite like Tomlinson. He's not there yet, but he'll be a good player. For me he's an option. I'll get hanged by the neck for that comment. Until I'm dead! But he'll be fine.

This season will be a good one. When? 8th November. We'll push on then. Like Seb Coe or Steve Ovett. Were only half way around the first lap and we are sitting off the shoulder and we are not boxed in quite yet.

Others will want something else.
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Wolborough »

Eventually Mr Johnson’s taxi will arrive.
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

toastkid wrote: 04 Sep 2023, 08:07 Sensible views from Dave Caldwell.
Mellow also talks in a considered way.

I've been criticised for questioning what GJ should do with the players. Many think GJ should go, I'd rather focus on what we have.

You can't criticise Hanson and McGavin for Saturday's performance, as I (and I didn't go to the game) don't think they played.

Personally, I'd play them both next game. McGavin with Hanson and Laps on either side. Then if they don't perform criticise them. I don't think they've both played a full game this season. That would give us numbers in the middle of the park to grab hold of the game.

Flat back 4, but yes, change what we had. Try crowe at rb, martin left, moxey and marshall at cb. Two playing off Jarvis, perhaps sitting a bit deeper up front. De silva and stobbs.

I quite like Tomlinson. He's not there yet, but he'll be a good player. For me he's an option. I'll get hanged by the neck for that comment. Until I'm dead! But he'll be fine.

This season will be a good one. When? 8th November. We'll push on then. Like Seb Coe or Steve Ovett. Were only half way around the first lap and we are sitting off the shoulder and we are not boxed in quite yet.

Others will want something else.
The trouble is I can’t see GJ adhering to your suggestions which I largely agree with. Playing players in their correct positions would be a good start!
Gullsandbeyond121
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Gullsandbeyond121 »

McGavin and Hanson are not the answer, they are partly responsible for where we are. They have had there chance, let’s not f*** this up anymore.
Sensible comments from Dave Caldwell seeing it from his perspective
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

I was at the last Retro Gulls meeting and asked GJ about his gung ho tactics of last season which led to TEN home defeats seven of which by one goal. We lost four in a row with a 1-2 score line often we were beaten in the last minute when the opposition broke on us after we had a corner and we left no one back to defend ! BLOODY STUPIDITY. I told him it was schoolboy defending and he said he has now addressed that !!!!!

Second question was surely it is better to play players in a position that they are comfortable with rather than to try and fit them into a system that they cant play !! I am not a football coach but to me that is bloody obvious ! If he insists on 3-5-2 then the three at the back need to be proper centre backs like Kevin Hodges team of Watson, Gittens and Robinson and NOT inexperienced schoolboys like Tomlinson , Craske and a utility player in Donnellen The wing backs need to be able to defend as well as attack like Gibbs and Gurney and not like Collins and Stobbs who can hardly attack let alone defend !! He muttered something in reply which wasn't any real answer. Probably too embarrassed that a fan knew more than him !! :lol: :lol: :lol:
toastkid
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: david graham

Post by toastkid »

Players do have to be accountable to some level.

The second goal, just watch Stobbs. (And I like the player). He just ambles back then leaves a player to run on. The defence are then out numbered and trying to close gaps. Laziness from Stobbs to expose the defence. If they are a poor defence, don't make matters worse.

So, give them a rocket. Onwards and upwards.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Stobbs looked one of the four players in our team who can actually play football. The bloody manager should be accountable for this debacle.

Whilst I dont normally agree with you, I actually think that maybe we should put in Hanson and Crowe on Tuesday night in preference to Tomlinson and Martin.

Hanson has played centre half before, and Crowe is decent going forward. Could they make the defence any worse? cant see it myself.

This is what I dont understand about Johnson - he signed these players. Admittedly they wernt great last season but who was?

Our defence has been so poor - Tomlinson just looks too weak to me. Time to give someone else a go - these players have something to prove. It might be their last chance.
Last edited by brucie on 04 Sep 2023, 12:56, edited 1 time in total.