Pre-Season Friendlies

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
teddiebear
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by teddiebear »

Good game. Usual moaners absent
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

'Yawn'
Formerly known as forevertufc
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Think all those there last night will agree our teams high spirited performance was worthy of a P.S.F draw. We saw the benefit of keeping much of the squad that finished the previous season, plenty of continuity, however the one big tick in the check box from last night, is the team looking a lot more fit and sharp than a year ago, this really was a big plus to take from last nights game.

Individually, Collins was outstanding looks a cut above the NLS, the trialist identified by some as Finley Craske agreed looks to have something to offer, and to be fair Tomlinson had a steady game also, wouldn't complain if he started ahead of 'red card' Ross on that showing, Ash showed he has the goal scoring instinct.

We were discussing this during the match, the group I stand with, we all agreed the starting 11, looked strong as an NLS outfit, but that's the concern, what's behind it, Hall hasn't got a full season left in him, can Lapslie avoid a spell on the side lines ?

Not getting carried away, yes it was a P.S.F for a start Plymouth weren't getting that tight to us on a one v one basis, also as a Championship side they were playing out from the back, and trying to obtain long periods of controlled possession, which in many ways suited us, allowed us to press and get at them a bit, however, in the bread and butter of the NLS that isn't going to happen, we're going to face sides, especially at home, who will get bodies behind the ball, will try to unsettled us, by deliberately turning the game into a battle, and will do the dark side of the game well.

Personally don't like 3-5-2 with the squad we've got, we don't have the players to play in such a manner, this whole idea of pouring numbers forward quickly, when we do not have midfielders like Mansell who can get up and down the pitch all game long doesn't sit well with me, most NLS sides will bypass the midfield , and if they've some players with raw pace, regardless of quality, they will hurt our back back three, so hoping there is a plan B, and C.
Formerly known as forevertufc
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

Midlandgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: O'Kane
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Midlandgull »

Looked pretty good! And we haven't even signed a loanee yet, so this is shaping up well.

Any news on Kevin Dawson? Or any other absentees ie Marhshall?
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Pre season friendlies are always open to interpretation, nothing to lose, nothing to win, but that was a very good game by our standards considering the majority of last season, forward and midfield seem to be very capable,Dawson when fit will start and do asa's/lapslie's job especially when asa has his usual three mnths out or we are on four G pitiches,with additions for depth such as any of the second year pros plymouth brought on would give us forward thinking players the equal of any team in our division, however I see no point in scoring four goals every game if we concede five and with what we currently have at the back that could happen, last season our relegation was decided by the huge amount of goals we conceded and games we lost in the last ten minutes, Tomlinson along with crowe were a liability and a waste of wages last term, and yes tomlinson had a good game tuesday, but that was one in how many appearances, I like craske but after three friendlies I am surprised that we havent signed him, if he doesnt put pen to paper then Moxey , hanson or marshall are our only alternatives, Moxey surprised me last season by the amount of games he played but age dictates he will do so well this year, martin would be a capable replacement if we can get him fit but the thought of hanson and or marshall having to start does not exactly fill anyone with confidence.
eddie6817
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by eddie6817 »

I second that we better not start where we left off last season. Heaven help us if we do.
eddie6817
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by eddie6817 »

Replying to starting where we left off last season.
Togusa22
Trialist
Trialist

Post by Togusa22 »

Hi guys didn't know where to post so I thought I'd post here!

Was coming down for the game Saturday on train - but that won't be possible now due to strikes so was wondering if anyone form the Burnham on sea /Weston area is coming down and would be able to offer a lift
Would obviously pay for fuel ect and would be very grateful

Cheers guys
GullsUnited
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by GullsUnited »

eddie6817 wrote: 20 Jul 2023, 19:25 I second that we better not start where we left off last season. Heaven help us if we do.
I hope we do start off where we left off, last 8 games we had 5 wins, 2 draws and 1 loss, that'd be a realistic aim
eddie6817
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by eddie6817 »

I will say that looking at the argyle performance if we had played like that last season there is no way in hell we would have been relegated l was very impressed a marked improvement lets pray it continues.
Stickingitin
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Stickingitin »

Still only two strikers, I'd like to see four but three is the minimum.
Stickingitin
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Stickingitin »

Strikers is a rotational game in itself, we've all seen when the marksmen don't get into position for the position they thought they should be and nobody can blame them.
Therefore there should be at least three strikers within the squad, because if the two strikers or one are ineffective you have a form of rotation.
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by DevonBee »

Cannot ask for anymore than that. Building up nicely and seemingly on schedule. Good result.