Hornchurch v Aveley

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

I lost a lot of respect for the Grecians when they failed to support TUFC when the club looked as if it was going out of business back in 2016. Plymouth on the other hand sent loads of their Lords Taveners supporters to Plainmoor for one match I attended, a gesture which was very much appreciated during some dark days for the club (darker than now in fact - at least someone is keeping the club afloat!).
Cheddargull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Cheddargull »

budegull1954 wrote: 07 May 2023, 19:33 I lost a lot of respect for the Grecians when they failed to support TUFC when the club looked as if it was going out of business back in 2016. Plymouth on the other hand sent loads of their Lords Taveners supporters to Plainmoor for one match I attended, a gesture which was very much appreciated during some dark days for the club (darker than now in fact - at least someone is keeping the club afloat!).
Exeter City did help our club out during psfs, they paid for the flood lights to be used I think.
Mr Tea808
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Mr Tea808 »

ECFC were in a bad way in mid 90's, close to folding, in administration and their ground was sold off, I maybe wrong, but did Gulls/Mike Bateson do anything to help them?, Or did our fans have whip round for them?, Plymouth have never seen as as a real "rival" we've hardly played them in the last 40years, ECFC much more a rival, I do remember them paying for the floodlight cost, so fairplay to them for that.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Well 21 times actually in the last 40 years. Haven't won many but did the double over them in 2012. Certainly were our biggest rivals in the late sixties.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

Oxford City beat Worthing in the play off yesterday so Worthing will be another away trip.
Mr Tea808
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Mr Tea808 »

Desperado 👍👍, fairplay and I hold my hands up, didn't realise it was that many times!
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by desperado »

Be a long time before we play them again though ! 🙁
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

Oxford City 4.0 up in the NLS play off final with a few minutes to play so we'll be playing St Albans next season.
I remember going there on a freezing cold day for a tie in that National League league cup thingy (can't remember it's name).
I think we lost.
Another easy trip for us south east based Gulls.
TerryTorq
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Tommy Northcott

Post by TerryTorq »

I was also there. A very cold December day in what could have been the Setanta Cup.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by desperado »

I prefer to remember the 4-0 win after we had won the title and Kalala scoring after
10 seconds ! Must be our quickest ever goal. How that guy wasted his talent.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

standupsitdown wrote: 14 May 2023, 14:23 Oxford City 4.0 up in the NLS play off final
Oxford City poor cousin of 'U's', avg attendance of 438. Maybe their promotion to take our place has something to do with their prolific goal-scoring machine Klaidi Lolos - the irony!
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Lets be honest, its ludicrous that you have 4 teams promoted from the NLS North and South and 4 teams relegated from the NLS yet only 2 teams promoted to the football league.

Lets face it Oxford City arnt equipped for the step up - its also laughable that the play off final was played on their home pitch which is a joke of a surface in the first place.

There should be 3 up 3 down from the National league, with the winners of the NLS North and South going up and the second placed teams in each division playing off to decide the other place.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by desperado »

That's a good idea Brucie - though not til we're back in the National League !
gullsgullsgulls
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Sills

Post by gullsgullsgulls »

3 down from NL would mean an average of 1.5 promoted from each of NLS and NLN which would create its own blockage.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

brucie wrote: 15 May 2023, 09:50 Lets be honest, its ludicrous that you have 4 teams promoted from the NLS North and South and 4 teams relegated from the NLS yet only 2 teams promoted to the football league.

Lets face it Oxford City arnt equipped for the step up - its also laughable that the play off final was played on their home pitch which is a joke of a surface in the first place.

There should be 3 up 3 down from the National league, with the winners of the NLS North and South going up and the second placed teams in each division playing off to decide the other place.
Given that 4 go up from League 2 into league 1, it would make more sense to me that thre NL has 4 promotion places. You change the playoffs to match the 'next 4 teams' set up in EFL, which would then mean that it remains the top 7 places in the divsion that are worth fighting for. (Essentially you're giving promotion to the teams that currently have a home semi-final).

Then you could keep the 2 up from NLN/NLS and things are just easier.

I don't think any of this happens for as long as the National League is looked down upon by EFL, though. Really, it probably makes sense for NL to become League 3 - thus leaving the National League to administer regional football - but again I don't see them being that keen on it.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.