Players Under Contract

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Mr Tea808
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Mr Tea808 »

Thought I'd pipe up for what it's worth, but I'm in agreement with Brucie, on the surface it looks good, but Tomlinson is an unknown, Dawson was solid enough, Lapslie is 50/50 for me, very injury prone, Mark Halstead is a good signing on, it's okay news for me, nothing to get to hyped about, just asking on this forum, who in NLS next season will be full time??, Does anyone know?
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

I think these signings show an intent not only from Johnson but the owner as well, although goodness knws why we have signed tomlinson again unless its to keep the bench warm for the first team or we need someone to paint the outside of the ground, I agree with the theory that this group together with Moxey and Hall would not have stayed unless we met or even improved on last year salary, so it begs the question, have we put all our eggs in a small basket, budget wise or are these signings balanced by the fact that we are getting a lot of money for jarvis.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Think Havant, Yeovil and Maidstone but not sure.

One thing that Johnsons teams seem to do is to lack pace and I think its fair to say there isnt any from the signings we currently have - Lets hope we can get a couple of quick players in.
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Wolborough »

Do these signings show intent or is it that they are just easy pickings?
kerswellgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Howe

Post by kerswellgull »

Lapsie played 33 times, not in squad 10 times, suspended 3 games
Far from being very injury prone !
Similar injury record to Dean Moxey
And certainly covered more ground than any other Torquay player
Cheddargull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Cheddargull »

To be honest I was surprised Halstead didn't sign straight away given last season was the first time in his lengthy career that he was an established first choice keeper.
Not surprised by Dawson but pleasantly surprised by Lapsie. If Jarvis stays can be optimistic about start of season but it isn't going to be a cake walk like last time.
Mr Tea808
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Mr Tea808 »

Agreed, much tougher league, and a lot of teams fairly local who'll see us as a derby fixture, I know we played a few NLS teams this season just gone in the Trophy, and to be blunt, you couldn't tell the difference between the club's, it will be interesting to see what business other clubs do...100% spot on about GJ teams and zero pace, something that needs putting right, my hunch is we'll be hovering around play offs spots at best.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Kerswellgull, Moxey played 41 games last season, very few pf the squad exceeded that.
rivieratouch
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by rivieratouch »

Cheddargull wrote: 10 May 2023, 16:11 To be honest I was surprised Halstead didn't sign straight away given last season was the first time in his lengthy career that he was an established first choice keeper.
Not surprised by Dawson but pleasantly surprised by Lapsie. If Jarvis stays can be optimistic about start of season but it isn't going to be a cake walk like last time.
To be fair to Halstead, he might be waiting before he signs on, purely as his family home is near Chester, and he might want to be closer to home. If he stays, then I for one will be pleased, after this seasons performances, and it will also show his commitment to the squad.
kerswellgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Howe

Post by kerswellgull »

Culmstockgull I'm sure you are right,
I just took my info from Wiki and Transfermarket
Lapsie 33 league (missing 3 under red card suspension)
Moxey 37 league
So comparable
But both valuable team members
toastkid
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: david graham

Post by toastkid »

Some people are never happy. Firstly they say "offering a deal means nothing" then (chortle) they all sign!

I'm glass half full and happy sipping the success of signings! Keep up the good work GJ!
Mr Tea808
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Mr Tea808 »

What good work is GJ doing exactly?, He's taken us back to 6th tier football, when you've seen decent players, and teams, stadiums etc following gulls for over 40 years you realise just how far we've fallen, we are now in a semi professional, bordering on ametur league, getting a few half decent pros to stay on next season is a start, but let's get to hyped about it please.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Yes exactly but in toastkids world - one of a complete imbecile (chortle) - Johnson has already got us promoted.

Truth is he has so far signed a load of players who got us relegated. Granted Moxey and Hall are decent players, but due to their age noone else would sign them.

Lapslie, Dawson and Halstead are decent enough signings. Add that to Crowe, Marshall, Hanson, Macgavin and Tomlinson and does that look like a league winning side to anyone? I'd suggest there are some complete liabilities in that line up to be honest and far from being "good work" by the manager - as the village idiot seems to suggest it would appear that Johnson has **** up by lumbering us with some seriously useless players on 2 year contracts.

Indeed the manager referring to todays signings gives the normal Johnson bullshit by saying we have signed most of the players that made us into a good team at the end of last year. Oh really?

It looks like a line up devoid of any pace whatsoever for starters. I actually think its the remaining signings that will hold the key to how well we do. We need some decents forward players with strength and pace (in the ilk of Collins and Stobbs for example) and we need Jarvis to stay.

As already stated offering deals to players not at the club means absolutely nothing. We aint winning the league with what we have signed at the moment.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

DevonBee wrote: 10 May 2023, 14:22 Excellent news SNW…. So what happened to your
Lapslie to Aldershot rumour ? :lol: 🤔🤣🤣
Well, if you'd actually bothered to read my post - which you obviously didn't -
I said that he'd been offered a contract by them. :whistle:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

brucie wrote: 10 May 2023, 22:53 Granted Moxey and Hall are decent players, but due to their age noone else would sign them.
They have value but it's probably also a case of them not wanting to have learn a new system, management etc elsewhere. Suspect that if we hadn't offered them a contract, they'd have both retired - but I'm glad they're still around, if only to serve as experienced heads in the dressing room.
brucie wrote: 10 May 2023, 22:53Lapslie, Dawson and Halstead are decent enough signings. Add that to Crowe, Marshall, Hanson, Macgavin and Tomlinson and does that look like a league winning side to anyone?
Not a league winning side yet, no. But I think at least two of those "crap" players will offer something next season
brucie wrote: 10 May 2023, 22:53It looks like a line up devoid of any pace whatsoever for starters. I actually think its the remaining signings that will hold the key to how well we do. We need some decents forward players with strength and pace (in the ilk of Collins and Stobbs for example) and we need Jarvis to stay. ...We aint winning the league with what we have signed at the moment.
Nobody is disputing any of this. The squad we have now is obviously not going to win the division (only a dozen players, for a start!). We've said from the moment we knew we were down that we'd need more pace (with reliable end product) as well a functioning midfield for more than the last 20% or so of the season. But it's a good place from which to start. Given how much complaining in each of the past two seasons about needing a complete squad rebuild (only 4 or 5 players!), it's an improvement upon that, surely?
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.