Torquay v Wrexham Tickets

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

We have been here before with big clubs descending on us and out numbering us, it happens most saturdays when big clubs turn up to smaller clubs all over the country, its an irrelevance, I've got my tickets and do not care who I sit next to, welsh or american or anything in between. we support torquay and thats all that should matter, we moan about the lack of revenue but with this one match we will get the biggsest pay day for a couple of seasons
and should be a bonus. If we sold out every saturday with so called fans then giving up half the ground would be an insult, but I have lost count this season when stands have been closed because of a lack of interest. A full ground gives a whole new meaning to atmosphere and you never know we might spoil their party.
GULL 67
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by GULL 67 »

Was that the 8-3 v Newport when we afterwards signed their young striker (forget his name). He looked good in the defeat but only stayed at Plainmoor a short time after some poor displays. Remember coming home from a heavy Cup defeat to Sheffield Wednesday at Hillsborough, the coach was bricked on the way out of Sheffield and I had the whole journey back with no window (f****ing freezing). When we pulled into services it appeared the players coach had broken down. The young striker we Signed from Newport appeared to be trying to push it! Not sure what happened from there and was too cold to give a toss. Great travels with the old man. In some ways it's a blessing he's no longer here to see the mess we are now in. It would have broke his heart.
eddie6817
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by eddie6817 »

No l don't remember his name either but l believe Ernie Pym and the Northcott bros were playing for us in that game although l could be wrong and they came along later. Was it Mickey Cave probably not as he was playing alongside Stubbs in our big promotion push to the old Division 2 in the late 60s. Will never forget beating Bury 3-0 and we were the Match of the Day that Saturday evening 7-8 thousand crowds at Plainmoor in those days we got them all in heaven knows how. Great match days back then whatever happened to our club when you look back.
TerryTorq
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Tommy Northcott

Post by TerryTorq »

I was also at the 8-3 win over Newport County in October 1963 when Robin Stubbs scored 5 of our goals. Incredible to think that after 70 minutes the score was only 2-1.
GULL 67
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by GULL 67 »

Think I got the wrong game. Believe the one I remember would have been in the early 80s. I remember we hammered them!
TerryTorq
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by TerryTorq »

eddie6817 wrote: 28 Mar 2023, 06:22 No l don't remember his name either but l believe Ernie Pym and the Northcott bros were playing for us in that game although l could be wrong and they came along later. Was it Mickey Cave probably not as he was playing alongside Stubbs in our big promotion push to the old Division 2 in the late 60s. Will never forget beating Bury 3-0 and we were the Match of the Day that Saturday evening 7-8 thousand crowds at Plainmoor in those days we got them all in heaven knows how. Great match days back then whatever happened to our club when you look back.
Both Ernie Pym and Tommy Northcott played against Newport County in 1963. In addition to the 5 scored by Robin Stubbs, Tommy Northcott scored 1 and Reg Jenkins the other 2. I was under the Cowshed where I had a good view of our first 2 goals but cursed my luck when the other 6 went in at the Babbacombe End.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Incredibly that game was my first ever match and my Dad only took me in for the last 20 minutes at the Babbacombe End when the gates opened .
What an introduction to Torquay United and I was hooked from moment.
Refresh my memory TerryTorq , I recall the first goal I saw being a penalty to Newport at the far (Ellacombe) end but can't remember what that made the score, I thought 3-1 but maybe wrong, but to see 8 goals in 20 minutes was unbelievable.
All downhill since !
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by desperado »

I think the match Gull 67 is referring to is when we beat Newport 6-0 at the end of the Cyril Knowles season in 88?
And the player we signed from them was Richard Thompson.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by desperado »

Just checked . 6-1 (Sharpe 2, Dobson 2, Gibbons, McNichol) Think Thompson scored a header for them.
GULL 67
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by GULL 67 »

Thanks desperado, that was the game I was thinking of. Richard Thompson was indeed the player. Can picture him now. Looked good during the defeat, bit of a rough diamond but never came through to shine.
Wrexham Supporter
Trialist
Trialist
Watches from: The sofa

Post by Wrexham Supporter »

Hi Everybody. Absolutely looking forward to the end of season match between us. Have been a regular at our fixtures at Plainmoor for many years and have always found the club and its supporters welcoming to our away fans . This year is so different and because of our new owners and some fabulous football there has been a huge demand for tickets home and away. I know Wrexham are to sell our away allocation and as someone who has missed only two away matches this year I will hope to get a ticket when they are released. However the demand will be huge for perhaps only 1600 away tickets available and your club must expect over 2000 Wrexham fans in addition ,who want to see this match live. We are averaging 1400 away supporters per match this year and accommodation in Torquay at the end of April must be pretty much full already with Wrexham Supporters.
I also know that your fans have been offered 6 tickets each for the match and was wondering what the take up has been . There is a lot of talk amongst Wrexham fans about the probability of having to buy tickets from your fans and most of us would rather a more orderly club approach which allows both sets of genuine fans to enter the ground and enjoy the game in peace. What do you all think?
TerryTorq
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by TerryTorq »

desperado wrote: 28 Mar 2023, 13:29 Incredibly that game was my first ever match and my Dad only took me in for the last 20 minutes at the Babbacombe End when the gates opened .
What an introduction to Torquay United and I was hooked from moment.
Refresh my memory TerryTorq , I recall the first goal I saw being a penalty to Newport at the far (Ellacombe) end but can't remember what that made the score, I thought 3-1 but maybe wrong, but to see 8 goals in 20 minutes was unbelievable.
All downhill since !
You certainly had an exciting introduction to Plainmoor. It was my 2nd season having started regular attendance in September 1962 with a game against Barrow. As a juvenile/schoolboy I paid 9d to get in, about 4p today for those who don't qualify as Old Farts.
I think the Newport score was 2-1 at half time and I can vaguely remember the score being 3-1 and then 4-2 but not the order in which the goals were scored although Newport were always behind. Somewhere in amongst the turmoil Newport scored a third and I believe one of their second half goals was a penalty.
Strangely enough I can still remember the weather. It was an damp overcast afternoon and with rain threatening I thought being under cover in the Cowshed I had made the right choice especially as the Babbacombe End was open terrace with no cover. How wrong can you be.
TomGull1997
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Watches from: Pop side

Post by TomGull1997 »

Back to the topic point of tickets for the Wrexham game, found it highly amusing reading through the Wxm forum on this matter! A few not happy with the allocation, even though it’ll be the same as every away club gets.

Some have emailed Kevin Foster to try and increase the allocation, others have even called for the game to be played at another, larger, venue with Ashton Gate one of the ludicrous suggestions! The circus and several thousand North Walians descending on Plainmoor could make for an interesting day.
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

TomGull1997 wrote: 31 Mar 2023, 21:50 Back to the topic point of tickets for the Wrexham game, found it highly amusing reading through the Wxm forum on this matter! A few not happy with the allocation, even though it’ll be the same as every away club gets.

Some have emailed Kevin Foster to try and increase the allocation, others have even called for the game to be played at another, larger, venue with Ashton Gate one of the ludicrous suggestions! The circus and several thousand North Walians descending on Plainmoor could make for an interesting day.
Just read the same thing, some deluded people on their forum
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

£80 a pop they can have my 6 😂