Gary Johnson, stick or twist?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.

Do you support GJ?

Poll ended at 17 Jan 2023, 14:06

Yes - keep him
52%
No - get rid
48%

Total votes: 69

Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

DevonBee wrote: 28 Feb 2023, 22:43 I must be i guess as I attend the games and just got back from tonight.

What are u doing online anyway, u are only normally here as I say after a win ! to offer your support for our clueless manager.

However nice to see that your internet is back on
So that's a yes then?
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DevonBee »

Southampton Gull wrote: 01 Mar 2023, 01:30 So that's a yes then?
Throwing stones when people are asleep….
How brave of you.
🤣🤣
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by DevonBee »

Popside singing last night

We’re on our way, we’re on our way
To the National League South
We’re on our way.

Sadly that’s the reality, and anybody that thinks different needs to wipe the brown stuff away from their eyes.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

There is no logic in yet again calling for Johnsons head with a dozen games to go,I know its 13 but the last game will just be a promotion procession for Wrexham.
I am no fan of Johnson,he should have gone long ago,but he didnt and if anyone thinks by him leaving now we will have a bounce back with this inept group of players is frankly deluded,besides I want Johnson to own this shambles of a season and see it out till the end.
At the final whistle the abuse he got went beyond what is acceptable and listeniing to his post match this morning I can understand why he says he will take a few days to consider.
Our issues as a club and there are many go far beyond what Johnson could put right on his own.
if he does decide to shuffle off on his mobility scooter, what will we be left with, a clone of Johnson in Downes,or we can get someone in but at this stage of the season they would come at a very high price with a a huge bonus for avoiding relegation built in, something this club on past experience would not entertain.
Cheddargull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Cheddargull »

culmstockgull wrote: 01 Mar 2023, 08:40 if he does decide to shuffle off on his mobility scooter, what will we be left with, a clone of Johnson in Downes,or we can get someone in but at this stage of the season they would come at a very high price with a a huge bonus for avoiding relegation built in, something this club on past experience would not entertain.
If Johnson walked (because he ain't getting sacked) I'm almost certain it will be Downes who oversees the last bakers dozen of games. Like you say I can't see the club splashing the cash on a relegation fire fighter to get us out of this.
Mr Tea808
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Mr Tea808 »

I've got so much to want to say, I keep interrupting my own thoughts, and going off at a tangent!, I never like taking cheap, snide, bitchy like digs at people, GJ isn't for me, but come on, give the guy a bit of a break, Maybe he's underestimated the strength of the league this season?, Thinking that these cast offs would work, blended in with our more senior players, it has backfired, I don't get any pleasure in seeing him struggle post match, fans should have more class than to bad mouth the guy, He KNOWS he's signed inferior quality, we can all see that, but he can't publicly "dig them out" because this is who he's got to go with, ..I don't like the tactics, the style, the set up or anything really, of the summer recruiting, I'd keep Jarvis, everyone else needs to go,as I've stated on and off on this forum, has it been purposely geared up for relegation and a promotion next season,?, With kids you get inconsistencies, highs and lows, the whole season so far has felt like a giant pre-sesson or experiment, the changes in personal for starters, it's crazy, zero continuity, I wonder if Jarvis,Lapslie,Hall,Moxey, Martin,Halstead will hang around next season, I don't mean to ramble on,
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

If we are relegated and it is looking more and more likely then the players who have made a difference and can hold thier heads up will not hang about, Moxey is up for his bus pass, halstead, lapslie and jarvis can walk straight in to any NL team undoubtedly on far more money. Hall was past his sell by date last season so he is a non starter.
Oh yes ,something to look forward to with expectation next season we are left with those serial underachievers on two year contracts and do not imagine for one monent they will be any better if we are in the south.
When johnson is not castigating the players for their ineptitude or the referee for being amateurish, he has never once admitted his mistakes,he is a master of deflection away from his own shortcomings, he makes great play on torquay being an inclusive community club, the crowd being the twelve man, how inportant we are, etc etc, then treats us like fools, by refusing to answer one straight question, such as why he acquired players of such inferior quality and numerous ones at that,will we ever know how much his brother has made through agents commission for recommending players to the club ,why the forum has to find out loan players have returned to their parent clubs,why we are paying fit players who are not even in the squad or is this his way of freezing them out until they find another club, why hall has not kicked a ball in anger since before christmas but still we conjecture on what is actually wrong with him if anything other than he has an aversion to astraturf. None of this information would be of any benefit to the opposition in any shape or form but it is johnsons outdated belief that it would be, not that any club has to fear us or our players. but we are still treated as mushrooms.
The 1300 odd home support last night reflects on where we are as a club, the die hard core which will only reduce as the end of the season draws near, as the faithful fear for their sanity in watching what now passes for football at plainmoor.
Mr Tea808
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Mr Tea808 »

The more I've thought about it, the more I realise how much GJ has been very "cloak and dagger" about everything, he would of got a ton of respect if back in July he'd fronted it up, EXPLAINED that this season was going to be a toughie, owned the situation and communicated with the fans, but we've been subjected to piss poor signings, and a load of talk post match, deflecting away from the result and blaming officials, and I know he must regret the day he ever said it, but the "marquee" signings line-even that was a load of bull, apparently they were never marquee signings, but they would BECOME marquee signings??, He should of explained there's not a lot of money, I'll be bringing inexperienced kids in on loan to bridge the gaps, some will work, some won't, and hopefully the senior players will see us through, Most fans would of appreciated the honesty, but the silences from him and the club, the staged managed post match questions that are cosy and easy to answer, The loanees who arrive who are meant to be the dogs b*locks yet they disappear after 2 or 3 games max, I could go on, just thoroughly disappointing.
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by DevonBee »

Mr Tea808 wrote: 01 Mar 2023, 17:23 The more I've thought about it, the more I realise how much GJ has been very "cloak and dagger" about everything, he would of got a ton of respect if back in July he'd fronted it up, EXPLAINED that this season was going to be a toughie, owned the situation and communicated with the fans, but we've been subjected to piss poor signings, and a load of talk post match, deflecting away from the result and blaming officials, and I know he must regret the day he ever said it, but the "marquee" signings line-even that was a load of bull, apparently they were never marquee signings, but they would BECOME marquee signings??, He should of explained there's not a lot of money, I'll be bringing inexperienced kids in on loan to bridge the gaps, some will work, some won't, and hopefully the senior players will see us through, Most fans would of appreciated the honesty, but the silences from him and the club, the staged managed post match questions that are cosy and easy to answer, The loanees who arrive who are meant to be the dogs b*locks yet they disappear after 2 or 3 games max, I could go on, just thoroughly disappointing.
Absolutely spot on MrTea :goodpost:
midtable
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Brian Wilson

Post by midtable »

I think everyone is frustrated and fed up. There is no need to worry about which players to keep next season because at out level just about everyone is on a one year contract. If GJ departed it is likely that a new manager would be hired on the cheap and there is no reason to believe it will be a success for the remaining games. The owners have no interest in splashing the cash which is why a lot of our ex-players are playing for other teams higher up in the leagues or Notts County. A year ago GJ was a genius now apparently he is past it. It might have something to do with the players losing confidence (think of Marcus Rashford) which can be difficult to sort out because the individual has to deal with it. When you are at the bottom of the league it is tough and every mistake receives a groan from the home crowd so you play it safe which is often why the team looks out of ideas.
Should Gary stay? Yes. Should the crowd bring in banners to make a tik tok? No.
Leave the worries until the Wrexham game but until then put up and shut up. Get behind the team just like the away support.
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by DevonBee »

midtable wrote: 02 Mar 2023, 22:39 I think everyone is frustrated and fed up. There is no need to worry about which players to keep next season because at out level just about everyone is on a one year contract. If GJ departed it is likely that a new manager would be hired on the cheap and there is no reason to believe it will be a success for the remaining games. The owners have no interest in splashing the cash which is why a lot of our ex-players are playing for other teams higher up in the leagues or Notts County. A year ago GJ was a genius now apparently he is past it. It might have something to do with the players losing confidence (think of Marcus Rashford) which can be difficult to sort out because the individual has to deal with it. When you are at the bottom of the league it is tough and every mistake receives a groan from the home crowd so you play it safe which is often why the team looks out of ideas.
Should Gary stay? Yes. Should the crowd bring in banners to make a tik tok? No.
Leave the worries until the Wrexham game but until then put up and shut up. Get behind the team just like the away support.
Respect your views, however mine differ somewhat
Firstly there are a number of players on 2 year contracts, and if you believe Wikipaedia McGavin 'our very own version of walking football is on a 3 year deal
Secondly it is an experienced Managers responsibility to get the confidence back way before March.....his enthusiasm has gone, and he should have been gone after Yeovil away if not before. So should Gary stay..NO. It is his recruitments, his team.
Thirdly if people want to vent their frustration by bringing banners in, so be it....Johnson is fortunate we have a small fan base and very few venting their anger at a truly apalling season which is down to him and the joker that owns the club and has no interest in football.

It will be too late to worry about stuff until the Wrexham game, especially if we are needing 3 points to stay up.

I will be at Aldershot tomorrow, hoping for a miracle and in the rare hope of not seeing this tiresome Hoofball :scarf:
The deluder
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by The deluder »

My I suggest that without Uncle Clarke you would probably be supporting. Phoenix club in the Western League. Of course this is still a possibility.
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by DevonBee »

The deluder wrote: 03 Mar 2023, 14:33 My I suggest that without Uncle Clarke you would probably be supporting. Phoenix club in the Western League. Of course this is still a possibility.
We are heading there for sure
Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by Bristol_Gull »

Do you think GJ will stay if we are relegated? If it’s looking increasingly unlikely that we’ll avoid the drop and the manager leaves / will not be retained then why not cut the losses now and give someone else a shot?
thebigp1
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by thebigp1 »

Bristol_Gull wrote: 07 Mar 2023, 21:39 Do you think GJ will stay if we are relegated? If it’s looking increasingly unlikely that we’ll avoid the drop and the manager leaves / will not be retained then why not cut the losses now and give someone else a shot?
Who in their right mind would take the job now and have relegation on their CV. This season is done.