Emirates FA Cup 1st round | Torquay United v Crawley Town | 08/11/2020 12.45pm KO

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

Why is everybody seeming to assume that IF we managed to get through yesterday we'd automatically get to round 3 ?
Yesterday showed our shortcomings to the full, lack of gamesmanship cost us dearly, we had the game won & ballsed it up big time, I'm just glad there wasnt 3 points hanging on this game.
GJ & AD will have their work cut out this week to eradicate the ' after you Claude ' defending I'd thought was a thing of the past.
In GJ we trust COYY
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Teigngull wrote: 09 Nov 2020, 07:01 Why is everybody seeming to assume that IF we managed to get through yesterday we'd automatically get to round 3 ?
Yesterday showed our shortcomings to the full, lack of gamesmanship cost us dearly, we had the game won & ballsed it up big time, I'm just glad there wasnt 3 points hanging on this game.
GJ & AD will have their work cut out this week to eradicate the ' after you Claude ' defending I'd thought was a thing of the past.
In GJ we trust COYY
Well, tbh, they didn't protect their mum very well.........
But, we move on.
We are still top of the NL and despite losing, I think the other teams will realise that we are the team to beat if they want to win the league.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

PL21gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Lee MansellBaseball

Post by PL21gull »

Well summed-up Crawley 90. A cracking rollercoaster of a match, a real cup tie. The substitutions certainly had a big effect on the result; in the first half our midfield was excellent, but when we took off Nemane (who arguably had his best ever game for us), CLE, and the effervescent Whitfield, we lost any control, we became swamped in midfield and we had no cover for the fullbacks. We then lost our teamwork and had no real outlets when we did get possession of the ball, and resorted to hacking it away. And then it just came back to bite us..
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

A great game, and while I don't really like to criticise too much, I will on this occasion point the finger at Sherring a bit. 5-3 up, and he lets the ball out, expecting that he'd kid the ref into thinking it was a goal-kick. It wasn't, the ref didn't, and from that corner Crawley get to 5-4. What happened afterwards is..well, typical (until recently) Torquay but I was yelling at the laptop for him to pelt it into Row Z.

ah well. Nice to know we can compete if we eventually get back into the league, I suppose.

could have done without the Crawley twitter calling it an emphatic victory, though - since there were in front for about 1% of the game length!
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Maybe he let the ball go out because he thought it was a goal kick. That was just one of numerous moments that turned the game. Equally you could argue the referee should have stopped the play when Randall was kicked in the head. You could clearly see that Randall was groggy - the referee had a clear view of it.
He had a duty of care to the player - not to showboat like he had been doing all afternooon and start laughing after the goal when Hall started protesting.
Without the pressure of spectators the referee's in the national league have been alot better this year, but this clown was determined to be the centre of attention, presumably because the match was on the BBC.
Without the extended injury delay I doubt the score would have ended up anything like it did. It turned the match into a bit of a farce to be honest.
Maddening that we threw away a game that we probably should have won but on another day a couple of those late Crawley goals wouldn't have found their way into the net.
All that said we played well - we've won with a few late goals so were probably due to concede one. We look really good going forward - Evans has got over his injury problems and looks a completely different player. Hall looks to be getting back to full fitness, Randall looks excellent , and we seem to have plenty of options.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Gary saying in the paper Crawley scored some quality goals and he wouldn't point the finger at any of the players. Their third goal was certainly a superb quality team goal not that I appreciated it at the time. The header from Nichols I thought Hall probably should have done more to stop the cross and Wynter more to put off Nichols though it was a great header. The pinball goal was a bit unlucky as it just fell to them after two ricochets off us. The more I see Nemanes goal the better it is, and a great touch from him to set Whitfield up for another fine finish. He is playing really well this season, reminds me a little bit of Paul Smith. Anyway Crawley game gone now, see if we can extend our lead again after it was cut to two points last night, took Halifax going down to 9 men though before Wealdstone could score. I can't believe they are going to stay the pace .
PL21gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Lee MansellBaseball

Post by PL21gull »

Fair enough for GJ to support the players - it was a marvellous game of cup tie football - and everyone put in the effort and we are looking a good footballing side; apart from some mistakes/tiredness we would have won the game.
I was more concerned with how we lost our shape and fluency, and how we managed to concede 5 goals with three centre backs - surely the plan behind the extra defender must be to preserve a lead, but we lost our organisation.