Gulls v Halifax

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Teigngull it is not the players fault that he has had a serious injury to his hamstring. It happens. This is football and in the modern game these are athletes and injuries happen. Just ask Harry Kane.
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

Delighted with the 3 points and not conceding. I thought defensively we were very good today. In particular Lewis and Covolan.
The way I saw it that in the first half we played some good passing and movement without really creating much offensively. Halifax were content with us having the ball. They were compact and there shape was good however they never really broke with any commitment or pushed players forward so it was a pretty uneventful first half with both teams at a stale mate.
Personally I would have liked to have seen us attack with more numbers. Watching Ben Whitfield playing right back is not exactly thrilling. Watching Jamie Reid coming so short with his back to goal is very negative.
Second half and Halifax came out of their shackles with lots of possession and pushed forward which did us a big favour as it started to open more space.
The goal was Azeez being in the right place and taking his chance which he did well. For a time we grew in confidence and pushed for a second however the last 10 min was backs to the wall and some incredible defending. Ben Wynter and CLE with incredible blocks.
I thought the effort by the away fans with a decent turnout considering the weather and travelling was really good. However Halifax being right up there I thought there performance was poor. Good for us though.
Rayzie
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Liam Davis

Post by Rayzie »

Overall I thought it was a fairly decent display and we deserved to win the game. Asa Hall had a tremendous game, the best I can remember at home and a real captains performance. Such a shame Little is injured again, he looked so good while he was on and the team did not look quite the same when he went off.
Azeez had a promising debut especially having not played for 8 months. I really hope he keeps improving and is the front man we have been looking for this season. That will give Reid a bit more freedom to bang in some more goals.
We need to go on a run now and sneak into the playoffs!
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell

Post by portugull »

Looking back over the last 3 months is actually very interesting.
From Nov 16th to Boxing Day we played 7 League games and lost them all.We conceded a massive 22 goals and scored just 7.
The last 7 games starting with our 4-1 win over Woking on Dec 28th has seen us concede just 7 goals score 9 and pick up 11 points from 21. Our only defeats have been 2-0 at Home to Yeovil and a 2-1 loss at leaders Barrow.
We have improved our defence without doubt.
The next 5 games will in my view define our season.
Chorley (H) Sutton (A) Boreham Wood (A) Notts County (H) Solihull (H).
To be in with a chance of the play offs we need to take at least 10 points from 15 on offer.
COYY
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Louis »

No highlights just yet...

⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

Whydoibother
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Whydoibother »

A fairly eve game for most part with Halifax given attacks by us giving the all away time and ti e again. Thankfully most were way off target. A quality cross and header for the goal and despite o e glaring g miss and hitting the woodwork we actually defended better as the half went on. Both keepers only had to make a couple of saves of note each and a change for us to get a win where we were normally lose
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Don't think it was a case of Halifax being poor, we were at it from the start and - as hasn't always been the case this season first to most
first and second balls. Halifax had won their previous 4 league games scoring 12 goals in the process so they were in good form.
Willowgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Willowgull »

Make no mistake, Halifax were not poor. They were very well organised and strong. Normally we would loose games such as that. I wasn't expecting a win but this was a real turnaround. The defence loiokef a lot more solid and we had plenty of the ball. We probably just need to improve the final ball. Looming promising for the rest of the season. But please do not say it was against a poor side because theye weren't.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Scott Brehaut wrote: 21 Feb 2020, 18:17

Can we do the league double over our opponents? Here’s hoping so!!
Yes.

Yes, we can.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

There were some lumbering old behemoths in that Halifax side.
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Louis »

⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

Hammdog2601
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by Hammdog2601 »

Any news on Armarni Little?
Nick Potkins
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Nick Potkins »

There is little news on Little, sorry I could not resist.

Remember King Gary likes to keep team news and injuries within camp and rightly so.
fred
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Aaron downs

Post by fred »

Hammdog2601 wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 01:03 Any news on Armarni Little?
Out for season as reported on Devon live. Undergoing operation to hopefully clear it up once and for all. Still contracted for next season so hopefully will come back strong showing the form he showed in the first 20 minutes v Halifax. Good luck to him!!