Torquay United v Weston-super-mare 2/3/19

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

First half we were hopeless, couldn’t cope with the wind or the opposition. The number of times we overhit the ball way up in the air. Second half, by some way the better side, played well for 30 minutes, created plenty of (wasted) chances, but gifted a goal to Weston. I was screaming for us to take the Weston player out, the worst would have been free kick and a yellow, every other side would have done this. Weston, a horrible side but very hard to play, every trick in the book, their number 9 and 10 should both have been cautioned far earlier. But we are naive, my god we are so naive.

The final straw in a very frustrating afternoon was the ref and popside Lino. The latter can’t even tell whether a ball has crossed the line only a few yards from him. The ref was yet another recruit from the circus, a useless, cretinous, cowardly, objectionable, incompetent waste of space. I have never seen a ref as bad as this one, he was a shocker.

Still, onwards to Tuesday. I’m sure GJ will tell the players clearly what went wrong and pick them up for the Chelmsford game.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

Naive is exactly the correct word.
Caroline648
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Kenny Allen

Post by Caroline648 »

Kingsgull83 wrote: 01 Mar 2019, 17:22 Come on guys we can be a little more optimistic can’t we?

I do feel our fans have been a little hard on the second half performance last weekend and the mid week first half. We are getting good wins. A Tuesday night away match is never going to be straightforward.

Going in 4-0 up it is always going to be hard for a young team to keep that intensity going for another half knowing you have a tricky away match in 3 days time.

We have a score to settle, regardless of our last meeting Weston are bottom of the table, struggling. We are top and scoring goals.

I think this will be another BIG score what odds for 8-1??
That was a close prediction!!
Were the mini bus full of donkey lovers singing "we'll be back again next year"!
Play offs are looming guys.
Bring back Gary Owers.
Arrogance always bites back.
Lots of love to you all! Not.
DartShitehawk1969
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by DartShitehawk1969 »

What a disappointing performance today, the worst at home since GJ took charge. We looked like the team when Gary Owers was in charge during the first half, hoofing the ball forward when we are normally so much better than that.
The ref was a disgrace. No booking for a raised arm from WSM and then 2 yellows against us for nothing at all. Their number 9 was laughing so much, he couldn't believe his luck. Only 1 minute of ET at the end of the first half with all their time wasting.
We also had a WSM supporter sat just in front of us in the family stand constantly praising their keeper for all his time wasting. Very annoying when they scored their 2nd and he decided he wanted to take on the entire family stand but was eventually ejected by the stewards.
He was definitely old enough to know better.
Hopefully we'll bounce back with a better performance on Tuesday.
COYY.
tauntongull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by tauntongull »

Certainly the worst performance of the Johnson tenure.

Despite a few poor decisions by the referee, when you are losing and not playing well, you are frustrated and are far more likely to commit fouls. Had each player concentrated on improving his own personal contribution rather than getting too involved, we would have improved. This is a lesson we must learn quickly, especially against sides who spoil our game and want to bully us. I am surprised both sides ended up with 11 players.

All that said, we were very poor today and the fans were equally frustrated and of course, the referee is a target when things are not going your way. We shouldn't need to look to the referee in order to salvage something from the game. I would rather lose to Weston and get it out of the way than some of the more important forthcoming fixtures.

I believe some of our recent results have been a little 'flattering' and at this stage of the season, we cannot start getting sloppy or complacent. I don't know why but we either start or finish slowly/poorly and cannot put in a 90 min performance. Whilst we seem easily get to the opponent's area, we struggle to make space to have a shot, more often losing possession on the edge of the box.

A young group of players need to mature quickly and learn to play against 'pub teams' as well as those that play a similar style. Ultimately it is that ability to adapt that will win this league. I see a better performance against better opposition but defensively we were not at home today.
Last edited by tauntongull on 02 Mar 2019, 19:52, edited 1 time in total.
May not be the original, but I am the best 'TauntonGull' .... See I can do signatures too, coz I am a real boy!
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

Dockers Pal wrote: 02 Mar 2019, 17:43 Johnston didn't read the game well and the result is a consequence
I'm right pissed off & you ain't making it any better by continuously calling Gary Johnson feckin JOHNSTON !!
Come on man wise up :slap:
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Dazza »

Good luck to WSM. I thought they played pretty well and certainly defended a lot better than us. I dont think they were Welling two either They looked to have a possibility of staying up playing that way but can they raise their game like that every week? We don't seem to learn that the perfect goal can't arrive because that utopian final pass gets blocked. The WMN goalkeeper had amazingly very little to do despite the second half blitz and that says a lot. No we didn't have any luck and the referee was a totally aggravating loon but we were naive. We need to learn and learn quick and yes we need to recruit as well.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

First half was truly awful - what is the point of kicking the ball long to our diminutive strikers and ignoring our skilful midfield? It might not have been so bad if the wind didn't see the ball go dead most of the time. Only 6 attempts and 2 on target, neither really troubling the keeper.

Second half was totally different - loads of pressure, 15 attempts but only 4 on target, including the penalty. Sadly the keeper only had to make one serious save -indeed he hardly had much to do so wayward was our shooting.

Our defence is so poor - we had nearly gifted them a goal even before their first. Niate at fault for the first, then Winter for their second. Others have already said it -we were so naive. On this basis we will struggle to maintain a push for the title - we may even find we drop into the lower play off places.
Phil

Remember its a marathon not a sprint
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Well today was so typical of Football at so many levels. Bottom beats top away from home.
We were poor in the first half and Niate made a huge mistake to let Weston in on 9 minutes.
With a strong wind today we had to play the ball on the deck. Why not play to our strengths.
I lost count of the number of times in the first half the ball was over hit and led to a slowly taken goal kick.
Second half we battered them and had so many chances but give credit to WSM they defended very well. Another day we win 5-1 but today was one of those days.
The positive for me was we did create chances but instead of making sure we hit the target we tried to smash the ball so hard it kept going over the bar. We did have a lot of chances make no mistake.
If Connor had committed a professional foul on the touchline we would not have conceded in the 84th minute. Sometimes you have to do it.
Bray must have run 100yards with the ball but we were all over the place and slow to react.
I really think Dickson should play on Tuesday because his experience is what we need at this stage of the season.
Not one of the top 11 won today and even East Thurrock beat Billericay.
We just need to play with a bit more nous at times but I am confident we are the best team in this League today was inevitable in some ways. 14 wins from 17 games is a win rate of 82%. COYY
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

It is no coincidence that we lost to a struggling side. Woking drew against a struggling side. Billericay lost to a struggling side. There are no easy games, especially at this stage of the season. Keep the faith and roll on Tuesday.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by desperado »

Seems a mentality sets in 'we are at home against the bottom team, this is going to be another Dulwich/Oxford we only have to turn up'.
Why have we gone so much long ball lately?
Second half we played more on the ground but was always going to be difficult against a packed defence , too many shots off target and blocked , credit to Weston for the latter, their manager should be asking them why dont they fight and work (and cheat) like that every week, they might have stayed up . We must have had a dozen or more corners , but as I said before absolutely no threat from any of them, we need to be more physical , Cameron and Niate are big enough but don't win anything in the opposition area, when is the last time we scored from a corner ? I am sick of these weak clueless referees who get conned by cheating timewasting players, but we have to overcome these teams and officials . I really hope we are not going to f**k this up this season and our failure to beat the bottom team in either game is not going to cost us automatic promotion
notnow
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by notnow »

Torquay4eva wrote: 02 Mar 2019, 18:27 I stand by my statement. We should not be losing to them. IF we get promoted we will be back here the season after if he's still in charge.
You are clearly Clueless😨
fred
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Aaron downs

Post by fred »

Bad result indeed, but you are delusional if you compare to the Gary Owers tenure. We hammered them in the second half but could not find the break!! Evans could and should have taken their fella out early on before he scored their winner. We are champions elect no doubt and anyone who thinks we need to change things should look to where we were after 10 games. People on here who were saying we were crusing to the championship by 10 points were always wrong. We are absolutely in a title race which is so refreshing after the last few seasons!!!!
notnow
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by notnow »

:lol:
Teigngull wrote: 02 Mar 2019, 19:52 I'm right pissed off & you ain't making it any better by continuously calling Gary Johnson feckin JOHNSTON !!
Come on man wise up :slap:
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

fred wrote: 02 Mar 2019, 20:40 Bad result indeed, but you are delusional if you compare to the Gary Owers tenure. We hammered them in the second half but could not find the break!! Evans could and should have taken their fella out early on before he scored their winner. We are champions elect no doubt and anyone who thinks we need to change things should look to where we were after 10 games. People on here who were saying we were crusing to the championship by 10 points were always wrong. We are absolutely in a title race which is so refreshing after the last few seasons!!!!
:goodpost: