Dartford v Torquayunited 4/12/18

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Astonishing, but in all honesty did anyone really doubt that we would win again tonight? - Its just got that sort of feeling.

Johnson has the midas touch alright. He's dropped the in form keeper and Bass keeps a clean sheet. We might be full time but Dartford didn't play on Saturday and we have had two games on heavy pitches plus the travelling.
tufc si
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by tufc si »

Brilliant, absolutely brilliant!

I honestly cannot remember the last time I felt like this as a united fan!! We’ve had to endure some torrid years and I know we are playing at our lowest ever level, but it feels great at the minute! GJ has got this club bouncing....
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Sorry - Ruari !
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

If we can maintain this form through the next couple of weeks then we have two free home games against Truro over Christmas - Dickson and Hall are back. Oh Yes and Opi Edwards will be back soon as well.

Somethings bound to happen. We are not meant to experience this sort of positivity.
IJN
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by IJN »

Well done Gulls. Great to see this.
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

Really pleased for Keating, some reward for all his hard work.
TUST number 080
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

tomogull wrote: 03 Dec 2018, 16:39 I think we have to be realistic, otherwise we will be disappointed. Of course we want a win tomorrow night, but Dartford must be a good side at this level, otherwise they wouldn't be near the top. They didn't play on Saturday, whilst we will have had two long trips up to the south-east. Yes - I would love to see a win, but I wouldn't be too disappointed with a draw, plus a home win against Welling on Saturday. It doesn't matter one jot if we're top of the league at this stage of the season - it's where we are at the end of April. As the great Brian Clough (or was it Bill Shankly?) said - a football season is a marathon, not a sprint.
You called it right Philgull. I thought a draw would be a likely result tonight against an in-form side that didn't play on Saturday and we have had two long trips to the south east. This is the best win since Gary Johnson arrived at Plainmoor. A fantastic result. Very pleased to see Ruari Keating get on the score sheet and well done Gary Johnson for keeping faith with him. Very tough on Shaun McDonald, though. Obviousy, Alex Bass didn't come to Torquay to sit on the bench. Great to see the Gulls on top of the league. When was the last time we were top of any league?
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

Well it's been roughly 2 years since Clarke Osbourne saved our club and i would like to give an assessment on his ownership of our beloved TUFC and his much criticised 5 year plan to take torquay back into the football league. Although there has been a few hiccups along the way, i believe that Mr Osbourne is well on the way to sucessfully fullfill his plan. After 4 games last season, with the team struggling, the manager Kevin nicholson was in my humble opinion rightly sacked. As Osbourne has stated right from the start that he knew little about football, he appointed a man with over 30 years experence to run the club, Geoff Harrop. Harrop eventually appointed Gary Owers as manager, a decision that proved to be a total disaster ending in relegation to the confrence south. Dispite this major setback, Osbourne promised to keep the club full time, the only full time club in the league and nothing short of promotion this season would be acceptable. When things started to go wrong at the start of this season, Owers was sacked and within 24 hours, probably one of the best managers in the lower leagues, Gary Johnson was to my and i imagine everyone elses surrprise, appointed manager.
In the last week or so, Osbourne has begun to assemble a local board of directors, as promised and on the playing side, the team have tonight had a fantastic victory at Dartford and find themselves top of the league and playing great football.
I know that we should not get carried away in all the excitement, we are not even half way through the season yet, but after 2 years of Clarke Osboune's ownership and considerable finance invested in the club, i would give him 10/10.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

I followed the score on Flashscore and for 70 minutes it read 0-0. No surprise.
I was elated 20 minutes later to see United 2 up through Keating 72 mins and Reid 88 mins and Top of the League. 4 straight wins.
Well done the lads.
Gary Johnson take a bow you sure know how to inspire young pro footballers which is why you have 5 promotions on your CV and hopefully a 6th come April 27th.
I predicted a draw but when you start winning you get a taste for it and now nobody wants to give up the shirt.
Roll on Saturday and lets really make an effort to get 3,000 into Plainmoor.
Come on guys and gals you know you want to be at Plainmoor especially as we are Top AND Top of the Form Table.
dennisk
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Ernie Pym

Post by dennisk »

Another great away day, and we gradually overpowered the opposition. There were a few scares in the first half, but we defended exceptionally well, when required. Ben Wynter was outstanding going forward, too. As the minutes passed in the second half, there was only going to be one winner. Ruairi Keating, who had worked tirelessly, got his goal, and what a goal. So richly deserved. We just wore the opposition down! A great team effort, and the 150-200 travelling yellow army delighted to witness yet another away win. If we had made more of our set pieces, (especially free kicks) the margin would have been much greater. It is getting better and better....everyone tonight played well! :scarf:
Wisconsingullagain
Trialist
Trialist

Post by Wisconsingullagain »

Exciting times again...loving the post match interviews and seeing the squad warming down.GJ starting to sound like Vince Lombardi - things shaping up for a good Christmas with folks returning .
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

brucie wrote: 04 Dec 2018, 22:04 If we can maintain this form through the next couple of weeks then we have two free home games against Truro over Christmas - Dickson and Hall are back. Oh Yes and Opi Edwards will be back soon as well.

Somethings bound to happen. We are not meant to experience this sort of positivity.
I agree with brucie.
Lucy
Minneapolisgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Jo Kuffour

Post by Minneapolisgull »

Another fantastic result. You really cannot believe the job Gary Johnson has done. I mean did anyone!come be honest think we would be top of the league so soon after he took over? It really is just incredible. Its a real testament that we managed to get him to Torquay. In the cold light of the day It really did not take too many years for us to sink so low. Under GJ it really could not take to many years for us to rise right back up to where we belong... Back in the football league in 2020. In Gary we trust!

How many times have we been able to sing " We are top of the league I Say we are top of the league" Let's get used to it!!!
fred
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Aaron downs

Post by fred »

Trying to work out our record under GJ. Was Hungerford his first match? If so I make it P 15. W 11. D 3. L 1. Pen shoot out is a win. If I am right I can't remember a better start for a manager at TUFC. I'm sure a few stato's on here can help me out??
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Great win and at nil nil I just knew we would somehow get a edge over them. Get to the Xmas period with this kind of form and we can easily show what our true intentions are. The bar has been rasised now and there can only be one outcome. We got to the out all our eggs in one basket in my opinion. This first shot to get out of this league is surely the best one we will have