FA Cup - Lymington vs Torquay United 22/09/18

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Road2League2
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: The Lemon

Post by Road2League2 »

FA CUP RUN PREDICTION (Warning: May be delusional but this is the FA Cup)

Qualifying round 2: Lymington
Qualifying round 3: Winchester
Qualifying round 4: Wrexham

1st round: MK Dons
2nd round: Colchester
3rd round: Charlton
4th round: Peterborough
5th round: Norwich (knocked out)

And so concludes the prediction of the century. This prediction is based on a full 2 minutes of research and reading. Make sure you screenshot it for when it comes in.

Let’s wake this chat up tonight and see a few more predictions
ROAD TO LEAGUE 2 :keepie:
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

There is much optimism now among supporters for a good Cup run and promotion. A far cry from a few weeks ago.

Why? A change in management? I would suggest its down to change in managerial motivational style e.g.

Gary Johnson - promotion focused
Gary Ower's - prevention focused

Gary Johnson's promotion-focused personality see's his goals as creating a path to gain advancement and concentrate on the rewards that will accrue when they achieve them. He is eager and he 'plays to win'. You’ll recognize his promotion-focus with each game and see that Gary Johnson is comfortable taking chances; likes to work quickly; dreams big and thinks creatively. What if things go wrong! For Gary Johnson that is a price he will be willing to pay, because for his promotion-focus personality, the worst thing is a chance not taken, a reward unearned, a failure to advance.

In contrast, Gary Ower's had a prevention-focused personality and saw his goals as responsibilities, and concentrated on staying safe. He was ever vigilant and 'played to not lose'. He worried about what might go wrong if players did not work hard enough or aren’t careful enough. Ower's was risk-averse, and not the most creative of thinkers, so in an attempt to succeed he worked slowly and meticulously, to try and grind out a result . This is not to say he was not thorough nor that he could have not been successful over time - but time waits for no man, resulting in a total mismatch for the club and its supporters aspirations.

I do not try to claim one style is better than another - that is for others to judge. But I would ask how you like your manager to prep his players, for example:

We are going to shoot five penalties. Do you prefer a promotional-focus managers aspiration to score at least three times Or do you prefer a prevention-focused managers obligation to not miss more than twice.

You probably wouldn’t expect a small change in wording to affect the outcome, but it does have a big impact. Players do significantly better when the instructions are framed to match their dominant motivational focus: 'Play to Win' …! For this reason I'll take the Johnson way.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Managers are paid to inspire their players to perform at their best.

One claimed his money under false pretences........
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
greb46
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by greb46 »

Inspiration,motivation and optimism words the previous incumbent hadn't heard of.
Shangull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Dave Carson

Post by Shangull »

MellowYellow wrote: 17 Sep 2018, 20:34 There is much optimism now among supporters for a good Cup run and promotion. A far cry from a few weeks ago.

Why? A change in management? I would suggest its down to change in managerial motivational style e.g.

Gary Johnson - promotion focused
Gary Ower's - prevention focused

Gary Johnson's promotion-focused personality see's his goals as creating a path to gain advancement and concentrate on the rewards that will accrue when they achieve them. He is eager and he 'plays to win'. You’ll recognize his promotion-focus with each game and see that Gary Johnson is comfortable taking chances; likes to work quickly; dreams big and thinks creatively. What if things go wrong! For Gary Johnson that is a price he will be willing to pay, because for his promotion-focus personality, the worst thing is a chance not taken, a reward unearned, a failure to advance.

In contrast, Gary Ower's had a prevention-focused personality and saw his goals as responsibilities, and concentrated on staying safe. He was ever vigilant and 'played to not lose'. He worried about what might go wrong if players did not work hard enough or aren’t careful enough. Ower's was risk-averse, and not the most creative of thinkers, so in an attempt to succeed he worked slowly and meticulously, to try and grind out a result . This is not to say he was not thorough nor that he could have not been successful over time - but time waits for no man, resulting in a total mismatch for the club and its supporters aspirations.

I do not try to claim one style is better than another - that is for others to judge. But I would ask how you like your manager to prep his players, for example:

We are going to shoot five penalties. Do you prefer a promotional-focus managers aspiration to score at least three times Or do you prefer a prevention-focused managers obligation to not miss more than twice.

You probably wouldn’t expect a small change in wording to affect the outcome, but it does have a big impact. Players do significantly better when the instructions are framed to match their dominant motivational focus: 'Play to Win' …! For this reason I'll take the Johnson way.
It's a decent appointment but it's only 1 game and how many teams have the new manager bounce. Let's not get carried away too soon or apply some form of leadership theory to GJ after a 2 nil win at Hungerford. 26 wins in 103 games at Cheltenham would probably have the Cheltenham fans feeling differently. All the best to GJ and if he can get it together who's to say there's not a promotion push. On a the final point that's a bit of old fashioned NLP, it doesn't provide an example of leadership style but is reinforcement of a positive action (score vs miss....the brain will focus on the action and do it...e.g. why children always drop the glass after being told don't drop the glass)
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by MellowYellow »

My prognosis was more on management style than win ratio's.

So the question posed is do you prefer:

Johnson's 'play to win or
Ower's 'play not to lose'

P.S. I think it is fair to say we can give some form of leadership qualities to Johnson with over 1,000 games under his belt as a football manager spanning a 30 year period.
Last edited by MellowYellow on 17 Sep 2018, 22:00, edited 1 time in total.
Shangull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Dave Carson

Post by Shangull »

MellowYellow wrote: 17 Sep 2018, 21:41 My prognosis was more on management style than win ratio's.

So the question posed is do you prefer:

Johnson's 'play to win or
Ower's 'play not to lose'
I probably prefer an alternative way....play according to the situation. Game management during the game and take a pragmatic approach. I don't think it's quite as simple as play to win or play not to lose (both can be equally as frustrating and unsuccessful). I'd rather see GJ take an approach based on the opposition and the situation at the time. If we are 2 nil up with 10 mins to go let's keep nice and compact...not fall deep but not become stretched in chasing the third.
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

We now have the right sort of manager in order to move the club forward. The next few games will tell us if Owers had managed to assemble a promotion winning squad.
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by MellowYellow »

Shangull wrote: 17 Sep 2018, 21:59 I probably prefer an alternative way....play according to the situation... I'd rather see GJ take an approach based on the opposition and the situation at the time...
You are moving into the land of 'team formations'. Either way it's either Ower's, 5 at the back 'play not to lose' formation or Johnson's 4 at the back 'play to win' formation. I am not suggesting that we go 'Gung-Ho' for the full 90 minutes and if already 2-0 up, seeing the game out in the final minutes does not deflect from the 'play to win' approach.
Shangull wrote: 17 Sep 2018, 21:59 I don't think it's quite as simple as play to win or play not to lose (both can be equally as frustrating and unsuccessful).
I submit to this being a very valid point. Hence my waiver in my original post "I do not try to claim one style is better than another - that is for others to judge". Time will tell.
Last edited by MellowYellow on 17 Sep 2018, 23:05, edited 2 times in total.
Totnes_Yellow
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Jo Kuffour

Post by Totnes_Yellow »

Posted on BBC this evening..with commentary it seems!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45550600
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Road2League2 wrote: 17 Sep 2018, 20:04 FA CUP RUN PREDICTION (Warning: May be delusional but this is the FA Cup)

Qualifying round 2: Lymington
Qualifying round 3: Winchester
Qualifying round 4: Wrexham

1st round: MK Dons
2nd round: Colchester
3rd round: Charlton
4th round: Peterborough
5th round: Norwich (knocked out)

And so concludes the prediction of the century. This prediction is based on a full 2 minutes of research and reading. Make sure you screenshot it for when it comes in.

Let’s wake this chat up tonight and see a few more predictions
I think there is flaw in your prediction. The 4th qualifying round is regionalised.
dennisk
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Ernie Pym

Post by dennisk »

Plainmoor78 wrote: 18 Sep 2018, 08:19 I think there is flaw in your prediction. The 4th qualifying round is regionalised.

Also, Norwich (or Naaaaridge as they pronounce it), will be knocked out in the 3rd Round!

:lol:
CP Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by CP Gull »

.... not to mention the fact that we have also never beaten a side managed by Steve Evans, in the Fourth Round of the FA Cup before! :'( :'( :'(
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Well we're long overdue an FA Cup run. At least we don't have the St Luke's Bowl to concern us - out of the competition without kicking a ball!
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

nickbrod wrote: 18 Sep 2018, 11:31 Well we're long overdue an FA Cup run. At least we don't have the St Luke's Bowl to concern us - out of the competition without kicking a ball!
I must have missed this, how come?
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084