Dean Edwards

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Staffsgull1
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Staffsgull1 »

On the wider subject of Dean Edwards, my concern is twofold. Apologies if this covered in detail elsewhere, I don't post often.

Firstly why do we actually need a Director of Football? There are normally three reasons why a DoF are in place, to oversee transfer dealings and scouting, to be responsible for wider club footballing matters such as Youth and Academy structures as well as Senior football matters, and then to be a very experienced senior football figure in circumstances where there is a young coach. Now it looks pretty obvious to me that we had Cox signings before he went, a mixture of ex Mansfield players and trial players that Cox assessed, we do not have a Youth system to oversee and we do not either have a DoF / Coach set up with a young inexperienced coach. I'd be interested to know which other Conference clubs have a Manager, Assistant Manager AND a Director of Football - especially a club in a desperate financial situation struggling to maintain its existence at all.

Secondly If the board deem that we do need a full time paid Director of Football, then i would expect that appointment to be based on experience in football, or someone who has taken a club successfully through a similar perilous situation. I fail to see what experience Edwards had to make him a suitable candidate. He managed Hednesford for just over 1 year before leaving just after they were dumped out out of the 1st qualifying round of the FA Cup, he's been out of a pure footballing role for a few years, has way fewer footballing contacts than the ex-manager and his performance as Commercial Manager wasn't exacrly a success - my limited contact with him certainly didn't impress me at all.

I'm sure that I read that when Cox resigned he asked for a meeting with Steve Breed, not Edwards, which implies Breed was Coxs 'boss'. So I have no idea what the DoF job description is, I don't see why this role is needed alongside an experienced manager - and if we do, Edwards is in no way the suitable person for this role anyway.

We all know that the board came in with the best of intentions, and Edwards seems to have played a role bringing people together. I thank him if he did that. But the Board are the shareholders, in business terms they decide the structure of the club, the governance and the operating model, and need to make the tough decisions about what roles are needed along with the Chief Executive they appoint. They need to seriously ask themselves if they've got that right with the DoF. Edwards to me is the wrong man in the wrong role, and he needs to be kept out of the way before he causes even more damage.
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

Staffsgull1 wrote:On the wider subject of Dean Edwards, my concern is twofold. Apologies if this covered in detail elsewhere, I don't post often.

Firstly why do we actually need a Director of Football? There are normally three reasons why a DoF are in place, to oversee transfer dealings and scouting, to be responsible for wider club footballing matters such as Youth and Academy structures as well as Senior football matters, and then to be a very experienced senior football figure in circumstances where there is a young coach. Now it looks pretty obvious to me that we had Cox signings before he went, a mixture of ex Mansfield players and trial players that Cox assessed, we do not have a Youth system to oversee and we do not either have a DoF / Coach set up with a young inexperienced coach. I'd be interested to know which other Conference clubs have a Manager, Assistant Manager AND a Director of Football - especially a club in a desperate financial situation struggling to maintain its existence at all.

Secondly If the board deem that we do need a full time paid Director of Football, then i would expect that appointment to be based on experience in football, or someone who has taken a club successfully through a similar perilous situation. I fail to see what experience Edwards had to make him a suitable candidate. He managed Hednesford for just over 1 year before leaving just after they were dumped out out of the 1st qualifying round of the FA Cup, he's been out of a pure footballing role for a few years, has way fewer footballing contacts than the ex-manager and his performance as Commercial Manager wasn't exacrly a success - my limited contact with him certainly didn't impress me at all.

I'm sure that I read that when Cox resigned he asked for a meeting with Steve Breed, not Edwards, which implies Breed was Coxs 'boss'. So I have no idea what the DoF job description is, I don't see why this role is needed alongside an experienced manager - and if we do, Edwards is in no way the suitable person for this role anyway.

We all know that the board came in with the best of intentions, and Edwards seems to have played a role bringing people together. I thank him if he did that. But the Board are the shareholders, in business terms they decide the structure of the club, the governance and the operating model, and need to make the tough decisions about what roles are needed along with the Chief Executive they appoint. They need to seriously ask themselves if they've got that right with the DoF. Edwards to me is the wrong man in the wrong role, and he needs to be kept out of the way before he causes even more damage.
:goodpost:
TUST MEMBER
6667GULL
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: O'KANE

Post by 6667GULL »

The sooner Dean Edwards leaves the club the better.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Staffsgull1 wrote:On the wider subject of Dean Edwards, my concern is twofold. Apologies if this covered in detail elsewhere, I don't post often.

I would agree totally with this. It seems like the club has its priorities wrong. When they cannot afford to even pay the manager a proper salary, why on earth are they paying a DoF, who has a seriously depleted remit and very meagre credentials? Outcomes like yesterday is what you get.
CraigUnder
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by CraigUnder »

The board need to act now before it is too late. That 30k a year could bring in a half decent manager at this level, who will not need a DoF behind the scenes. I imagine it was Dean who gave himself the title of DoF and the board were silly enough to say yes.
Smithy1899
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Smithy1899 »

When I have some time to gather my thoughts I will be writing a proper piece on this horrific man to echo the sentiments and more of this fine post.

I really don't think all of you realise just how hateful he is. The latest I have heard is fantastic, not only is he paying himself a salary of £30k for doing absolutely nothing whilst the club goes under (Breed is also on the same money), he has also demanded a huge pay off to leave. His only intention from this entire episode was to make money out of all of us, the hard working, paying supporter. Could I ask, how do you all feel about that?

Mark my words, the longer Edwards (and the clueless Breed) is at the club, the more likely it will not survive. Bleed £60k per yer year out of any struggling business on absolutely nothing and it won't survive.
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

Edwards' credentials have been the same since day one. It's funny that nobody questioned his position a few days ago. Now all of a sudden he's being painted as the big bad wolf. I have no idea if he deserves the flak he's getting because I don't know all the ins and outs of the club - and I doubt many others do. But it's easy to play the blame game. It's always the same - as soon as something goes wrong at the club, everyone starts pointing fingers. How long before we start attacking Breed or Phillips?
CraigUnder
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by CraigUnder »

If it wasn't for Dean and Steve rounding up a group of fans to buy this club then we wouldn't have a club to support and I couldn't thank them enough for that. But Football is a results business and there is no time to be sentimental. Everyone knows the club has no money so why oh why are they spending 30k a year on a director of football who couldn't even do a good job as a commercial manager? It really was a pick a job title out of the hat and Dean was lucky enough to pick DoF. The board need to make some serious decisions within their own ranks to get this club back on its feet.
Smithy1899
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Smithy1899 »

Bleeper wrote:If it wasn't for Dean and Steve rounding up a group of fans to buy this club then we wouldn't have a club to support and I couldn't thank them enough for that. .
The irony that there are buyers interested in the club RIGHT NOW who are being told to go away by this fine group of individuals you speak so highly of because they don't want to give up their new found power
CraigUnder
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by CraigUnder »

Smithy, the point I was making is there wouldn't be a club for these so called buyers to buy if it wasn't for them, but if you quote the rest of my post I think it's time for him to go. I'm also sure it was put into the media some time ago that the board wouldn't stand in the way of any buyers. So if you are right and can actually prove these claims then please enlighten us all, because all of this new buyers want to buy the club stuff is all hearsay.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

tommyg wrote:Edwards' credentials have been the same since day one. It's funny that nobody questioned his position a few days ago. Now all of a sudden he's being painted as the big bad wolf. I have no idea if he deserves the flak he's getting because I don't know all the ins and outs of the club - and I doubt many others do. But it's easy to play the blame game. It's always the same - as soon as something goes wrong at the club, everyone starts pointing fingers. How long before we start attacking Breed or Phillips?
Totally agree with your sentiment. My criticism of Dean Edwards is limited to my belief he was in full control of the team yesterday, full control of the selection of it.

He picked Lavercombe for all the wrong reasons, to me almost unforgivable, and I believe his direction of the team led to that horror show. I thank Dean for putting together this consortium, and level no further criticism against him.
Formerly known as forevertufc
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

Smithy1899 wrote: The irony that there are buyers interested in the club RIGHT NOW who are being told to go away by this fine group of individuals you speak so highly of because they don't want to give up their new found power
But what is the intention of these so-called interested buyers? Do they have the best interests of the club at heart or are they looking at the ground and a chance to make a quick buck? If the current board believe it's the latter, then they're right to reject any offers. If it's the former, then I'm sure the board would be seriously interested. Do you honestly think Breed, Phillips et al don't want what's best for the club?

Added in 10 minutes 12 seconds:
forevertufc wrote: Totally agree with your sentiment. My criticism of Dean Edwards is limited to my belief he was in full control of the team yesterday, full control of the selection of it.

He picked Lavercombe for all the wrong reasons, to me almost unforgivable, and I believe his direction of the team led to that horror show. I thank Dean for putting together this consortium, and level no further criticism against him.
That's fair enough. It hasn't been confirmed that Edwards picked the team but a lot of posters are indicating that was the case so I'll go along with that. However, my post wasn't aimed at you. It just annoys me how quickly some fans turn on people at the club when we hit an obstacle. Edwards was hailed a hero a few weeks ago and now he's a villain because Cox has apparently walked out of the club and gone back on a gentlemen's agreement. Football is a ruthless game and as there was no contract, he's entitled to do that but I can't help but feel a little let down by his actions. It was Cox who approached the club and agreed to work for expenses only. The board say a meeting was planned for October but Cox has moved the goalposts which nobody saw coming. We've only heard one half of the story and I'm very interested to hear what Cox says tomorrow. I might change my mind about him, Edwards etc after his statement is released but at the time of writing, I feel like Edwards is taking all the flak when the full facts haven't been revealed. Never boring being a Torquay fan!
mushroom

Post by mushroom »

tommyg wrote: But what is the intention of these so-called interested buyers? Do they have the best interests of the club at heart or are they looking at the ground and a chance to make a quick buck? If the current board believe it's the latter, then they're right to reject any offers. If it's the former, then I'm sure the board would be seriously interested. Do you honestly think Breed, Phillips et al don't want what's best for the club?
Do you not anything about our Club
The Council own the Stadium and the TUST have 1st option to purchase and deemed a community asset
The party referred to were looking at buying the Club in the closed season
I doubt they will buy know due to mess current party are creating
The only real asset is the brand which is being destroyed
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

mushroom wrote:
Do you not anything about our Club
The Council own the Stadium and the TUST have 1st option to purchase and deemed a community asset
The party referred to were looking at buying the Club in the closed season
I doubt they will buy know due to mess current party are creating
The only real asset is the brand which is being destroyed
Yes everybody knows the Council own the land but it is also common knowledge that they are open to selling it for a relatively cheap sum.

The community asset thing does NOT give the trust first option to buy anything as far as I am aware. It just means that they have to be informed if the land is put up for sale and given 6 months to put their own bid together. The seller doesn't then have to accept their bid and can choose to sell to whoever they want.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

I have no problem with Lavercombe playing yesterday he was not to blame for the result that firmly lies with Ramshaw and Edwards who were there to alter tactics and froze. They watched things happen in front of them when they had the power to alter the system which would have given us a solid base.
I would blame Edwards for not having Cox on contract as this just makes the club look stupid as at the meeting he was left to deal with the agents and Cox was his friend so whats going on as he was free to go at any time.