Transfer Window

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

ferrarilover wrote: But it is up to me (and any other individual) what my opinion of the potential signings is. If Stevens was lined up to be signing for, say, Burton or Newport or Bury or any other L2 side, I'd laugh my socks off and I'd be commenting (probably on the Ex-Gull thread) that I thought he was sh*t and that he's a poor signing. That he's signing for Torquay doesn't change my opinion of him as a player.
And for the 90 minutes of a match, that is precisely how it shall be. I make absolutely no secret of the fact that I detest Rene Howe as a footballer, but for the hour and a half each week that he was my team's centre forward, he was the best player in the league and I would shout and cheer myself horse in support of him. Same goes for this lot. All the while this remains the internet and not some official channel directly to the players' E-Mail inboxes, I shall criticise the idea of signing a player who, in my view, simply isn't anywhere near good enough. If I meet Danny down the pub or in the street or he's wearing TUFC yellow, then he shall be given all the encouragement and good wishes that I can muster. The same goes for the management team. If Chris signs a bloke, then he has done the right thing all the while it matters. When it doesn't matter (ie, on the internet) then I'll voice an opinion, just like everyone else.

True enough, but not relevant. We're not moaning at them, we're moaning about them in a setting they are unlikely (and unwise) to venture into. We're all offering opinions based on what we know of Danny. He's too small, he's too slow and he's not got enough talent to make up for his physical shortcomings. I'm not basing this on Football Management, or unqualified statistics, I'm basing it on a general knowledge of the game and having spent 5 years watching him every week. No, I don't have the UEFA Pro licence, I haven't played professionally, but I can still tell you that Ronaldo is the world's best player and that Lee Mansell isn't going to be on the jet to Brasil. I know this because of what I know about the game and what I've seen. The same knowledge and experience which tells me that Danny Stevens isn't going to make any significant impact on our season and, as the situation exists at this moment, that is what we need.
And a 5th choice winger/grossly inexpert back-up to some other midfield positions isn't going to change that situation. Danny would be no better than third choice in any position on the pitch (GK: 5, LB: 3, CB: 10, RB: 4, LW: 5, CM: 10, RW: 5, CF: 6). Quite how that is an effective use of our minute budget is entirely beyond me, I'm afraid.

Which is fine, at Ryman Premier level, where no one has even a modicum of talent, but sadly, at FL level, this isn't enough. Just running about a bit and "working hard" isn't enough. If it were, I'd be at Man Utd. No one will run about a bit as much as me, I'm the King of running about a bit. At FL level, you need a dose of talent to go with work rate. While working hard can make up for a low level of ability, it won't mask a total absence. Watching Danny pick up the ball, run 30 yards down the wing with it, then turn round and pass it back to O'Connor who is 10 yards further back then where Danny started certainly represents good work rate, but it's absolutely pointless. Contrast this with Chaps or Bodin who will carry the ball 30 yards, then skip past their attending defender and get in a cross. Working hard needs to be combined with a level of aptitude which Danny, demonstratively, does not have.
This, patently, is bollocks... for about a million reasons.

So no, thanks Noodle, I won't be rolling out the bunting and tying a yellow ribbon round the old oak tree to welcome back either Danny or Scotty. They're neither one of them good enough and I'm happy with my decision to disagree with Jesus and Lee. Of course, this comes with the proviso that I don't want to be right. I want to be catastrophically wrong. I want to be as wrong as Neville Chamberlain. I want to be as wrong as Michael Fish. I want to be as wrong as William H. Stewart. Sadly, like those three men and countless others through history, I really don't think I am.

Matt.
Just remember Matt you were the one to say Mozica was our saviour hope I spelt it right. :-/
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Just been informed that I posted "horse" rather than "hoarse". Since that's quite funny, I might leave it in.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

potnoodle wrote:You point blankly disagree with everything. If you know so much. Why don't you get your FA badge and apply for the managers job yourself next time. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. I'm just saying. There's been so much negativity at the club of late. Why be so down beat. I for one won't blame, point the finger at our new management team. The buck stops at Knill. If we get relegated. But in the mean time. Whoever wears the shirt needs our upmost support. What you think of them is up to you.
So, sentence two of this is used to sarcastically rebuke me for having an opinion (an opinion which just happens to disagree with yours). Sentence three is then used to tell us all that everyone is entitled to their opinion. Which is it?

I'm not down beat, I'm expressing an opinion, honestly held and based on first hand experience and knowledge, that two players with whom we are linked are not sufficiently good. Are you suggesting that my opinion should change because the team is doing badly?

Whoever wears the shirt DOES need our support, and the overwhelming tone of my previous message (with which you seem to have taken umbrage) was that exact thing.

"What you think of them is up to you". Well, thank you for the permission, but didn't you say, barely 100 words earlier, that if I knew so much, why didn't I jolly well apply to be the manager?

You need to make up your mind. You need either to allow everyone to have an opinion, or no one to have an opinion. If it's the former, you must accept that some people won't agree with you and that this is a part of life. If it's the latter, you need to accept that you too must have no opinion at all.

For what it's worth, as a neutral, I'd take my evidenced summary over your "we're not doing well and the manager has a GCSE in football coaching, so these players must be good" stance any day of the week, but that, as everything else, is just my opinion.

Matt.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

No, Arc, I didn't. I didn't at all. And no, you haven't.

Matt.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

jonnyfive wrote: I wouldn't worry too much about what the PLG says (or rather, pontificates); although it is somewhat refreshing that he has finally admitted to his blinkered Rene revisionism.

This is a person that took nearly 3 months longer than the rest of us to comprehend that our squad and manager weren't good enough. Up until about a week ago, our league position was solely due to bad referees, bad weather and bad luck.

At least the scales have finally fallen from his eyes. Probably another false dawn, but he might just be starting to get it!
Oh look who it is, the answer to a question that no one asked.

As I said before, turn it in, no one cares.

Matt.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

That's not even close to what's happening here. You expressed a view and I did likewise. You then got sarcastic with me, suggesting that I should do my coaching badges and then said that everyone was entitled to an opinion. I asked you which was which and you didn't answer. That's where we are right now. No one's knickers are in a twist. I've expressed an opinion and you've said both that I may and may not do that. I've asked you which it is and you've declined to answer. I'm now going to watch the News at 10 and a cup of tea. Doubtless you will now make a post about this post which will not reflect, in any way, the truth of the situation, as seems your preferred style. That is, of course, absolutely fine with me, but expect me to criticise that approach and for this to spiral into an endless cycle of accusation and counter accusation until I get bored and give up trying to explain.

Matt.
nickfrench82
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Ummmmmm

Post by nickfrench82 »

For a minute there, when I logged in, I thought someone might have posted about the Transfer Window
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

potnoodle wrote:You know all the answers obviously. But, some on here agree with me. You are sarcastic.
My quote on getting your FA Badges wasn't a sarcastic remark. I was being honest. I read what you put and others.Without saying much. And as you seem to find fault with most things. I thought well perhaps you could do a better job.
This is the last thing I will say about it. And as this isn't chat about the transfer list. Perhaps we should focus on that subject instead.
We need a facepalm smilie.

Is it me? Am I being unclear? Do I need to use the word "opinion" more often, just to make it obvious?

I do not, nor have I ever claimed to know all the answers. What I do do (and what I thought I was making clear) is offer OPINION. Sometimes, this OPINION will differ from yours. This doesn't make either of us right or wrong, it just means we see things differently.
The nature of OPINIONS means that, inevitably, someone somewhere will agree with you. That is not validation of your argument or OPINION, merely an acknowledgement that someone else sees it the way you do.

I am, occasionally, sarcastic. What are you, the sarcasm police?

I'm glad that you weren't being sarcastic and that, therefore, your statement was a genuine one. To have someone think that I, a humble supporter, has demonstrated sufficient knowledge and astuteness to be a genuine and realistic candidate to become the next manager of Torquay United is an honour.

I don't "find fault", I offer my own viewpoint, just like everyone else on here.

Perhaps we should focus on the subject at hand...

I think the transfer window is a shit idea which is merely driving the ever more insane transfer fees being lobbed about by restricting the power of buying clubs.

Matt.

By the way, did you get a good deal on all those full stops, or did you order too many and need to get rid of some before they went out of date?
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

Oh God he's back ! .com now the preserve of a man who loves expensive cars and knows everything about everything ...............
and is so tactful ....
:na: :na: :na: =D =D =D
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

Hey man, I'm always here. This shit is someone else's fault. :~D

Matt.
Heritage gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Heritage gull »

By the way, did you get a good deal on all those full stops, or did you order too many and need to get rid of some before they went out of date?[/quote]

:rofl: Priceless! (No offence to Potnoodle, just laughing with FL's sense of humour)
HG
TUST member 077
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP
Watches from: Pop side

Post by taxilady »

Dutchgull wrote: .com now the preserve of a man who loves expensive cars and knows everything about everything ...............
and is so tactful ....
Hey, ease up ! Someone's got to keep the forum alive now that Austrian Andy's gone quiet on us ! :lol: Also, is this thread the most off-topic this year ? ^.^
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

And to think that someone who shall remain Nameless (eh Tro ) accused moi of hijacking threads. Ehh by gum! :lol:
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

ferrarilover wrote:[ I want to be catastrophically wrong. I want to be as wrong as Neville Chamberlain. I want to be as wrong as Michael Fish. I want to be as wrong as William H. Stewart. Sadly, like those three men and countless others through history, I really don't think I am.

Matt.
I agree with everyting in your post except for the unfair William H. Stewart jibe! There is no evidence of him ever saying what he's often condemned for, or of him in any way holding those views! :na:

As for Potnoodles comment along the lines of you finding fault with everything, up until recently (as your mate Jonny has pointed out :} ) you were the only poster on here who wasn't finding fault with everything! ;-)
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

taxilady wrote: Hey, ease up ! Someone's got to keep the forum alive now that Austrian Andy's gone quiet on us ! :lol: Also, is this thread the most off-topic this year ? ^.^
Has Andy gone away for his ECT..?? =Z