Retain or Release?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

i never want to see oastler in a torquay shirt again. no disrespect to the lad its nothing personal but every game i have seen him play he has been poor.

he was the only one against barnet that i felt had a bad game, in fact i felt he had an absolute shocker. indeed on saturday he wasnt too clever either. the two games everybody should have been really stepping up and he was the only one i felt was clearly not good enough.

the fact that he held his place in the team for most of the season is a joke and a sad and sorry indicator of the quality of our squad.i expect though he will probably be offered another year.

to be honest i dont think there is 1 player in the squad i am too bothered about keeping, i wouldnt lose any sleep if any of them went. they are all of a calibre which can be replaced by others at the same level, or if not better.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
FishGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Downes

Post by FishGull »

He would have to sell them as they are both under contract and, given you don't rate them, who would buy them and would we make any decent money?...[/quote]

That's my point! I don't think anyone would sign them so we would have to keep them or pay for release fees. I would try very hard to get rid of them but I dout we'd be able to, even if we wanted to.
Sunnysideup
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Manse

Post by Sunnysideup »

I guess not everyone shares that opinion ?
Knill also singled out captain Lee Mansell for particular praise after the victory.
"He was outstanding. Up to Saturday's game, which was called off, he was touch and go as to whether he would play, and he epitomises everything you want in a team.
[He has] energy, aggression and he's got quite a bit of quality in him and I'm a big fan.
He drives the team on and he leads by example and I thought he did that tonight, but everybody did."
Apathy Rules...............it's ok though, nobody's that fussed about it........
Robiberto22
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Robiberto22 »

may i suggest fish gull is a troll?
ALAN KNILL'S YELLOW ARMY !!! - Oh wait ...
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Kernowgull »

chunkygull wrote:i never want to see oastler in a torquay shirt again. no disrespect to the lad its nothing personal but every game i have seen him play he has been poor.

he was the only one against barnet that i felt had a bad game, in fact i felt he had an absolute shocker. indeed on saturday he wasnt too clever either. the two games everybody should have been really stepping up and he was the only one i felt was clearly not good enough.
I agree also. I saw 10 games this year. Not many as some, but more than others. I only saw Joe look like a league 2 player once, at York. His performance away at Bristol Rovers was the single worst proffesional performance Ive ever seen (I was overseas for most of the Roberts/Kubic season, bwfore anyone mentions that).

I dont know if he's gone massively backwards since he joined, but he looks like a Sunday League player to me.
novicegull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by novicegull »

re: joe ostler
i think joe had a really good start and a really good end to the season with an average middle and a only a couple of poor games. i certainly don't agree with the overly negative comments on here. buckle brought him here, ling played him all last season and knill obviously likes him too. i am sure they are better qualified than some of the ostler bashers on here to make judgements. as for leadbitter's supposed " bad attitude "..... that is a ridiculous statement. having spoken to him on several occasions he seems to have a very good attitude. yes he has pace but that's it.
those who have heavily criticised ostler on here obviously just don't like him and cannot see potential. he's only 22 ( i think ) and deserves more credit than given.
anyway i've said my bit..... off to work to save up for my renew season ticket COYY :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

Novice

Joe Oastler does have some very good qualities and he certainly has age on his side, but you cannot get away from the fact that he has cost us a number of goals this season. His positional awareness leaves a lot to be desired on occasions and his delivery from decent positions is also generally quite poor. Personally, I would probably give him another year, in the hope that Knill (or whoever) can improve him, but I would be disappointed if we didn't bring in a better first choice Right Back (with Joe as back up) for next season.

As for Leadbitter, I'm not aware that anyone is saying he has a bad attitude in general, it's just that it was very poor of him not to put in an appearance at the sponsors event in the Gulls Nest after the Rovers game. It wasn't much to ask was it? Indeed Dean Edwards was openly critical and apologetic at the same time of him and one or two others for not having the decency to attend for what only required a few minutes of their time.

As it was, based on his Twitter account, it seems that young Daniel was probably on the M5 at the time he should have been there, on his way back to Newcastle! I don't expect to see him back here next year!
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Personally I would give Oastler another year. Last season he was very good I felt, he has both height and age on his side. Okay he isn't the quickest but I still think he's solid at this level.

Anyone who was at Morecambe would have seen what a sterling job he did against Kevin Ellison that day too. Don't think he was beaten once.
novicegull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by novicegull »

cp gull, i have read on here over the season that some posters think that leadbitter isn't getting picked because he has some kind of attitude problem ( even before the shirt sponsors event ) and that for some reason managers don't like him. this is because they can't think of another reason why ostler has got in the team ahead of him. if it isn't an attitude problem which, as i said earlier, that i personally don't think it is, it must be that ling and knill think ostler is the better player. also ling actually brought leadbitter in.
as for being responsible for goals, i wish i had the time to analyse the season and having been to EVERY game i would put a bet on ostler not being top of the guilty list. also i would like to point out that there have been many occasions that ostler has put in last ditch tackles, clearances etc which have prevented goals.
the last 3 games IMO he has played really well keeping davids and ellison quiet and defended well gainst bristol.
there are divided opinions about ostler which of course everyone is entitled too but i do think some are too harsh . i also think nicho has had some unjustifiable criticism and finished the season on a good note.

anyway let's see what happens with contracts over the next few weeks. let the experts make the decisions eh
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

I've been to around 10-12 games this season, the majority of the goals I've seen us concede this season came from the left.
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

Greeks have released Amankwaah(RB),Evans(G),Moseley(MID),Bauza(CRAP).
Gargs have released Lowry(MID),Charles(CB),Feeney(CF),Chenoweth(G),Sims, and transfer listed Chadwick(CF),Gilmartin(G).
Quite rate Amankwaah-they have only released him as can't afford his wages,which might rule us out as well?
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

if anyone thinks oastler had a good game against barnet then i would love to know what they were watching. he was truly awful. his positioning was all over the place. the only times that night i was nervous and on the edge of my seat was when the ball came anywhere his position. indeed it was from his side that night all the threat came from.

i have not seen him have a good game yet. his reading of the game is non-existant.he is usually all over the place defensively. he has looked ok going forward and i cant moan too much about his delivery/passing because nobody this season has produced the goods at an acceptable and consistent level. unless you like booting the ball up in the air and hoping for the best.

if we insist on keeping players like this or saying "oh lets just give him 1 more year he might come good" we will not push on and improve from the debacle that this season has been. there needs to be a big clear out. there is not 1 player in that squad that cannot be replaced with equal or better.

its nothing personal i want all our players to do well. if he stays another year he will get my full support and if he plays well i will be the first one on here to admit i was wrong (but im not).
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

chunkygull wrote:if anyone thinks oastler had a good game against barnet then i would love to know what they were watching. he was truly awful. his positioning was all over the place. the only times that night i was nervous and on the edge of my seat was when the ball came anywhere his position. indeed it was from his side that night all the threat came from.

i have not seen him have a good game yet. his reading of the game is non-existant.he is usually all over the place defensively. he has looked ok going forward and i cant moan too much about his delivery/passing because nobody this season has produced the goods at an acceptable and consistent level. unless you like booting the ball up in the air and hoping for the best.

if we insist on keeping players like this or saying "oh lets just give him 1 more year he might come good" we will not push on and improve from the debacle that this season has been. there needs to be a big clear out. there is not 1 player in that squad that cannot be replaced with equal or better.
its nothing personal i want all our players to do well. if he stays another year he will get my full support and if he plays well i will be the first one on here to admit i was wrong (but im not).

are you having a laugh?
may I remind you this is TUFC not barcelona.
are you suggesting, for example we get rid of saah, downes, poke & mansell?
who/how would you
a) replace them with
b) actually get them to come here and
c) get the money from?

get a grip mate and dont talk wet.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

gurneygibbs23
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: jean pierre simb

Post by gurneygibbs23 »

Of the out of contract players to keep...

Downes, Saah, Howe, Jarvis, Cruise & Yeoman.

The rest have to go, all limited, or poor performers.

Oastler - Been terrible this season, no positional sense and too many errors and hopeless punts upfield.
Stevens - Surely will be released. Not been near the side for ages, and appreciate his efforts in the past, he isnt a league standard player, but could still do well at conference level.
Morris - not really done anything when he played + injury prone.
Macklin - read morris
Leadbitter - has pace...but nothing else, awful positionally and technically.
Rice - cheap option for the club, but dodgy as ever.
Halpin - too lightweight and surely will find his level in non league.
Baker - not played a single game, but lets face it, he must be nowhere near lge standard if didnt even get a sub app last season.
Easton - not upto it. Good pro etc, but just not good enough.
novicegull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by novicegull »

cpgull if you say so then it's got to be right........ :} :} :} :} :}