Torquay United v Watcombe Friendly 19/09

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Torquay United v Watcombe Friendly 19/09

Post by Louis »

Setting up a matchday topic for this friendly tonight. Brother-in-law Nathan Hebbes on the field for us tonight, good luck mate!
⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Louis wrote:Setting up a matchday topic for this friendly tonight. Brother-in-law Nathan Hebbes on the field for us tonight, good luck mate!
I'm presuming the majority of the team will be those that played Saturday, otherwise a pointless friendly.
Lucy
torq2u
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Ken Sandercock

Post by torq2u »

I thought it was for fringe / younger players. But it would be good to see Gerring/McGinty paired CBs with GG in midfield. And a decent left back! ;-)
TUST member 200 ;-)
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

It was set up a few weeks back so I'm not so sure it isn't a reserve fixture. I don't suppose it was set up because we knew we were going to lose at Woking and Boreham Wood..
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Hopefully your brother in law will do well Louis. All do respect to Steve Breed and Watcombe, yes this in terms of having a look a promising young and local players is an utter waste of time.

Watcombe lost most of their top players, and promoted up many of their 2nd team, no where near the team they used to be.
Formerly known as forevertufc
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Dazza wrote:It was set up a few weeks back so I'm not so sure it isn't a reserve fixture. I don't suppose it was set up because we knew we were going to lose at Woking and Boreham Wood..
Thanks for that. The friendly was only announced on the OS on Sunday so I presumed it was a reaction to set up a quick friendly after Saturdays result.
Lucy
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Louis »

Apparently we're 3-0 up, couldn't make it tonight. Anyone there?

Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

I don't know, but according to the former ladies team manager who is, the game had to be stopped because no one had turned the lights on, and he was being serious. :rofl: :rofl: , no actually that deserves a :Oops:
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

forevertufc wrote:I don't know, but according to the former ladies team manager who is, the game had to be stopped because no one had turned the lights on, and he was being serious. :rofl: :rofl: , no actually that deserves a :Oops:
I do NOT believe it ......... oh, yes I do ! Another cock-up by the mickey mouse club TUFC has become (Kevin Nicholson excepted). You just couldn't make it up. :'( :'(
fred disley

Post by fred disley »

What a very surreal evening, the club announced that the family stand would be open for the game so everyone sat in Bristows bench, We lost count at the crowd but it was well over three hundred and that was just paying adults, sorry, if your the Inland Revenue it was only seventy five !!!.
Yes your right the ref did have serious reservations mid way through the first half about lack of floodlights, as the sight of the chairman in the home dug out in full Torquay tracksuit opening his purse to see if he had a pound for the electricity meter.
So what did we learn from the game other than Watcombe are a very useful outfit, Its years since I lived in the bay so no longer up to speed on local football, their young midfield no 8 and 11 weren't phased by the occasion and had something about them, No 7 looked like a seasoned campaigner although he gave the impression that if a blade of grass looked at him wrong he would fight it.
Torquay well , this is a honest comment it had to be pointed out to me after half an hour that lathrope was playing for us, that is the impact he had, Nicholson insisted that he take most of the corners ,free kicks and throw ins,not sure what we learned there as we know he used to be a half reasonable footballer, the young no 11 Hall is good and pacey with a lovely shot on him, needs a few inches and a stone in weight to bring him up to the toughness of the conference, Chaney felt he had a point to prove to these young pretenders from Watcombe and so lost the ball every time he ran at them, But my star award goes to Williams, after about seventy minutes having run back from an attack he sits on the pitch by the dugout claiming he has a bad leg, if he had stuck his thumb in his mouth , started crying and called for his mum I would not have been surprised. As both of our subs were on it was left for our physio to come on and play centre forward and not a bad job he did of it.
Fair play to Richards he turned up to support the team when no others did, and someone explain to Steve Breed that the technical area does not mean standing five foot into the pitch to direct operations.
Can we take anything away from this game, absolutely nothing.
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

Doesn't sound like it was abandoned;

https://x.com/TUFC1899
TUST number 080
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

No one said the game was abandoned, merely suggested the game was stopped because no one had turned the floodlights on, which appears to be the case. :)
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

I attended the game and it obviously served the purpose to give players game time. The keeper had not played a full game this season for Torquay and there were a few bright moment during the game.
A few players did to much on the ball yes but confidence is needed and it stood out which players were the better pros.

There must have been a few hundred children at the game as well and it was not a waste of time as a possible 500 people were at the game and enjoyed an evening out. Did it help Nicho yes a few players who needed game time got it and it was good public relations as I doubt if some of the children had even seen Plainmoor before.

Only three players who have played in the first team played. I don't think we had anymore players. Nicho played and Hererra came on.
Last edited by arcadia on 20 Sep 2016, 19:12, edited 1 time in total.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Is it just me or is 5-0 quite a good result for an amateur(?) side from the 12th tier of English football against a fully professional outfit from the 5th tier?
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Louis »

Good to see Nathan scored for us :)