Who will be the top five teams in National League 2015/16?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.

Aldershot
1%
Altrincham
1%
Barrow
2%
Boreham Wood
No votes
Braintree
No votes
Bromley
No votes
Cheltenham
7%
Chester
2%
Dover
1%
Eastleigh
13%
Halifax
3%
Forest Green
7%
Gateshead
7%
Grimsby
18%
Guiseley
1%
Kidderminster
1%
Lincoln City
1%
Macclesfield
1%
Southport
1%
Torquay
7%
Tranmere
13%
Welling
No votes
Woking
3%
Wrexham
13%

Total votes: 187

Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

When it comes to promotion from the lower leagues, there are probably three major factors: money, the management team, and the size of the home support.

Any team with consistently (and comparatively) huge home crowds will inevitably, sooner or later, win promotion, even if, as in Luton's case, it takes a few years, because that big support will translate into money for the club and financial clout for the manager, and ultimately the quality of the team. But all that is nothing without a team manager who knows the job and has the ability to mould the squad into a promotion-winning force.

With all that in mind, I've looked at all the possible contenders, and I cannot see one where all three of the aforementioned factors combine to produce an odds-on promotion favourite. Forest Green and a couple of others still appear to have a little more cash than most available for the manager's teambuilding. Wrexham, Tranmere, Grimsby, may have consistently larger crowd support than most. And Grimsby, Eastleigh, Forest Green, Woking, Macclesfield, and Wrexham, have managers who've already demonstrated some managerial ability.

Of the rest, Gateshead, like the Gulls, have new owners and a new manager, and decent home support for this level. They were once, many decades ago, members of the Football League, and have a renewed ambition to return to their former status. Coming up as outsiders worth a bet are Aldershot, Halifax, and of course Torquay United. Yep, we are a long shot this season, but the odds are reasonable, and I would certainly bet a £ or two on us, if only to make the season a little more exciting. Or I should say much more exciting, because we're going to have a very interesting campaign regardless.

So who would my top five be? I may be completely wrong, but I have a gut feeling for Tranmere, Wrexham, Grimsby, Woking, and Forest Green. Hot on their heels will be Eastleigh, Gateshead, Macclesfield, Aldershot, and yes, Torquay United. And if you think that's a safe, conservative choice, well you're right, and it's also wildly speculative, along with a little loyal wishful thinking for the Gulls.

Choose your own top five, not in any particular order. I'll be very interested in the outcome.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Your five are fairly obvious front runners I think, although I would include Eastleigh instead of Forest Green. I have a feeling that Forest Green might slip down the table a bit. Cheltenham seem to have picked up a few votes but I think they are very much in the same position as we were last season - i.e. in a bit of a mess. There are usually one or two surprise teams 'in the mix'. How many of us thought Barnet would be top of the league last season, or that Macclesfield would do so well? Could we be one of those surprise teams? Stranger things have happened in football !!
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

Grimsby have added quality to an already talented and experienced squad. They will be out of sight by March, but probably earlier.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

I agree Grimsby will win the league with Wrexham close behind and probably winning the playoff final at the second attempt. I see both relegated Clubs making the playoffs but failing to win promotion. As to the other playoff team, I would suggest up-and-coming, big money Eastleigh will make it but no further.
Phil

Remember its a marathon not a sprint
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

I think Chester might continue their improvement and sneak a play-off place.
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

I can't see much further than Grimsby winning the league but I wouldn't be surprised to see Gateshead there thereabouts.

Lincoln have strengthened and then there are the other strong league sides such as Halifax who I'd expect to see doing quite well. I've not read anything about Tranmere but you've got to expect for them to push for an immediate return to the league.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Yorkieandy wrote:Grimsby have added quality to an already talented and experienced squad. They will be out of sight by March, but probably earlier.
Hey Andy, I was originally going to tip York City for promotion, but then I realised they were already up! Anyway, what sort of a season d'you think they'll have?
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

Gullscorer wrote: Hey Andy, I was originally going to tip York City for promotion, but then I realised they were already up! Anyway, what sort of a season d'you think they'll have?

Hi Mick, no offence but as this is a Torquay forum and I have been regularly berated for posting non TUFC related content and generally a load of rubbish in general so i'll refuse to answer your question if it's all the same. Thanks for asking. :-D

I've seen that Torquay are 28/1 to win the league which is about right i'd say. I certainly think that Cox will get players competitive, it might not be spectacular but he'll have you battling and trying to win games of football at all costs, AND he knows what he's trying to achieve. All the polar opposite of CH. I'm actually quietly confident you'll have a decent season and a play off spot would certainly be no surprise. As for the main protagonists thought, Grimsby have a SUPERB squad and it's their turn this season.

I think Cheltenham will be up there too and Eastleigh but I fancy Tranmere to be the ones to suffer the indignity of remaining in the conference for years to come.

Added in 1 minute 36 seconds:
Wrexham too I think will be certain play offs
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

Yorkieandy wrote: I've seen that Torquay are 28/1 to win the league which is about right i'd say.
I looked on Oddschecker after seeing this thread yesterday and at one place they're 50-1, which is a really good price. (That's at Corals, btw, but please don't pile on until I've had a chance to get my agent in the UK (ok,he's my uncle) to wander down there and get my £15 e/w on.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
frenchgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tommy northcott

Post by frenchgull »

There are too many teams this year to predict but like a lucky dip I think the usual suspects will be in the frame ,Grimsby,Tranmere,Cheltenham,Wrexham and anybody from another three sides.I hope Torquay are up there bit maybe two people short as of today
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Every season there are always those, on here and elsewhere, that will declare a long season of misery is upon us, and every season there are those people who predict that this season will be a season where we will be celebrating at the end of it

I'm sure this season will be no different in that respect, and that's why I've voted that we will finish in the top five.

:scarf: :scarf:

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

The Gulls will finish in the top five if we turn up with the Plainmoor Roar to cheer them on, so that every opposing team visiting the LWS will feel like they're playing against 12 (or more) men.

:scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
yellowforever
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Our next signing

Post by yellowforever »

I have about 6 or 7 teams better than us going into the new season, so I'd say a top half finish but outside the play-offs is a realistic ambition.
"We are now so far up sh*t creek our boat is actually poking out the end of someones toilet bowl."
Brucie. 27/02/14
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Agreed, think us gulls fans have to be realistic, certainly think the club is better off squad wise, think the squad already looks stronger, however, we all know this is a tough division we're in, there's a lot of good sides, top eight finish would be a good achievement this term, play-offs and I'll think PC is a miracle worker.

There's always a tendency in the conference to predict the relegated teams to do well, personally I don't think that gives enough respect to quality in the NL premier, out of the two teams that came down Tranmere have the better chance of going straight back up, purely down to their fanbase, should Tranmere fans stay loyal and turn up in numbers it will give them an advantage with their budget, but still no guarantee.

Cheltenham, similar sized club to us in so many ways, they could struggle a bit, think they're the same position, our club was season before, if they don't go straight back up, they're going to have to make cut backs, and could lose their academy, same as us.

For me, clubs that our likely to come out of the pack and surprise a few are, Lincoln and Chester, both made some decent signings. However my top five, in no particular order are; Grimsby, Tranmere, Eastliegh, FGR and Wrexham.
Formerly known as forevertufc
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

forevertufc wrote:Agreed, think us gulls fans have to be realistic, certainly think the club is better off squad wise, think the squad already looks stronger, however, we all know this is a tough division we're in, there's a lot of good sides, top eight finish would be a good achievement this term, play-offs and I'll think PC is a miracle worker.
Well, yeah, but I don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility that we do ok. And it's good that we're going into the season with a sense of a realism as well some cautious optimism.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.