The first team squad

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

The first team squad

Post by stevegull »

Yes, there's going to be some football to be played!

So this is the thread where we officially return to talking about football and in particular, the first team squad at TUFC. I'm aware there's already a transfer rumours thread so let's keep this thread to talk about the players we already have signed on to our cause and how new players could well fit in to the system.

As I see it, (and this next bit is a tad optimistic!) we have a very strong spine of the team. Bowman - Young - Macdonald could well be a play-off chasing spine - if we can get the right reinforcements around them.

Also, Hargreaves did the retained list and left four or five as I remember in the 'maybe' pile depending on the financial situation - would you like to see any of them return to Plainmoor?
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

I know that it's early days but does anyone know if we are going to have a youth team. To back up the first team.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

arcadia wrote:I know that it's early days but does anyone know if we are going to have a youth team. To back up the first team.

With out wishing to sound rude, this isn't meant to be personal. But do, please wake up, the youth academy has been closed, so what do you think ?
Formerly known as forevertufc
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

You don't need an academy to run a youth team.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

stevegull wrote: Also, Hargreaves did the retained list and left four or five as I remember in the 'maybe' pile depending on the financial situation - would you like to see any of them return to Plainmoor?
I would like to see James McQuilkin, Aaron Dawson and Campbell return. I know not everyone will agree with me but I think all three would turn out to be decent signings if they played regularly. But I doubt if any of them will return because the new manager will have his own plans.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

arcadia wrote:You don't need an academy to run a youth team.
Firstly apologies to Steve for messing up his thread, will delete my two posts as the club starts signing players. Arcadia, lets try this one more time, the club have just disbanded the youth team putting five full time staff out of work; do you really think there's going to be a youth team ? of course there is not, jeez.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

tomogull wrote: I would like to see James McQuilkin, Aaron Dawson and Campbell return. I know not everyone will agree with me but I think all three would turn out to be decent signings if they played regularly. But I doubt if any of them will return because the new manager will have his own plans.
I saw nothing in these players to make them worthy of signing, and the fact that Hargreaves was considering Yeoman and Harding as well, makes me glad he has gone.

Hopefully, Cox will be pretty swift to realise that those players offer nothing more than mediocrity.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

McQuilken I do not see as a Cox type player full stop, Dawson personally think we could find better for the same money, possibly, but he may fit the budget. Campbell think many of our fans have been more than a tad unfair with the lad, yes, he fluffed his lines in front of goal once to often for anyone's liking, but I'm certain that was down to a confidence issue, he been frozen out at Oxford for some time before he came to us, I saw enough in his work rate, movement and link up play to think he was, at least worth another look at.

Yeoman if he was horse someone would have done the decent thing by now, something like 26 appearances in 7 years doesn't qualify him as a professional footballer time to use him or cut him loose, Harding I've said all along has been unlucky, injury's have wrecked any hope he had here, I've maintained he wasn't fit, and towards the end of last season when, for the first time he started to actually look fit, he was playing very well to be fair, he is a Cox type player, a lot there, could depend on whether Dean Edwards recommends Harding to Cox.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

I would like to see Kadell Daniel back. Hopefully that deal has not gone out the window with the departure of Hargreaves.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Can't see those players returning and to be honest not overly sure I want them to other than Kadell Daniel but I don't know whether Cox is aware of him or whatever so we'll see.

Does anyone have a list of the players who are definitely here next year?

It's all going to depend on finance, he's going to have a certain type of player he wants and I'm certain we'll be a more physical side next year but how good a side will depend on how much money he gets to spend. From the sounds of it it's not very much.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Richinns »

I think this is what we have left on the books??

G - Daniel Lavercombe

D - Angus MacDonald
D - O'Neil Odofin
D - Levi Ives?? (Is he still here??)

M - Luke Young
M - Louis Briscoe
M - Courtney Richards
M - Sam Chaney

F - Ryan Bowman
F - Liam Prynn

(Those who might not be ready for regular football highlighted )

Either 9 or 10 currently, so how many are we going to see come in?
TUST member 328
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

I guess a lot depends on the manager. I'm gonna guess a fairly traditional 4-4-2 with hard working midfielders, pacy wingers and big man/little man up front.
So I guess at the very least we need a right-back and utility defender, two wingers and another striker or two. And even then we're struggling to fill the bench.

Does anyone know what was left in the 16-18 group of the academy? Anyone else besides those mentioned by Richins that may cut the mustard as cheap squad fillers?

Added in 8 minutes 9 seconds:
Can anyone remember when Buckle was appointed? Just wondering how late it was compared to now as he still managed to sign a lot - although not many freebies if memory server.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Richinns »

It has been announced the playing budget has been halved for this year:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33183275

No moan or bitching about it as this is what we need to keep the club afloat then so be it but we also need to keep this in mind and therefore have some perspective on what type of calibre of player this leaves us likely to be able to recruit.

Was it 700k last year which therefore makes it 350k this?

Added in 3 minutes 10 seconds:
Edit
Sorry - In fairness it does state 'wage structure' so I may be a little off exact figures for the playing budget:
"If you look at the wage structure, it's half of what was being spent last season. It doesn't give me a lot of options," Cox told BBC Sport.
Still going to be a considerable decrease as you would have to account for the trio (who are being paid whilst on gardening leave) as being included in this wage structure (I know wild Bill probably wouldn't but I am sure the new board are far to savvy for that!)
TUST member 328
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Ouch! Cox's life is made doubly difficult with a lot of the cheapie freebies already being snapped up. Still, when you consider a lot of last years budget was on players like Tongue sitting on the bench the wages of the players regularly involved each week probably wasn't much more than it will be this year.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Paul Cox interview.