Free Transfers

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Free Transfers

Post by hector »

I'd be interested in...

Jack Midson from Wimbledon
Jamie Cureton from Cheltenham
Alan Connell from Northampton - maybe?
Peter Cavanagh from Rochdale
Elliot Richards, (although he will go to Exeter), Steven Gillespie and David Clarkson from Bristol Rovers
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

I'd thought Woodards from Bristol Rovers would be a good shout.
Also Mitch Brundle from Bristol City - played a few games on loan at Cheltenham which suggests he's ready for this level of football.
And speaking of Cheltenham, Sito Jombarti and Sam Deering would also be decent signings.
Swindon have also released a handful of players who may suit us - Lee Cox (had a loan spell at Plymouth this year before a fairly serious I just) being the main one.

Plenty of players out there, just who can we afford?
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

Agree with Sido Jombati. Good player and if Hargreaves wants us playing out from the back, he ought to be looking at him. Obviously Cureton is of interest, but I suspect he'd be more interested in the other Club that got relegated with us.
MidDevon
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by MidDevon »

Jack Midson has ties to Devon....so you never know

Both Peter Cavanagh and Jamie Cureton carry an enormous amount of baggage with them, can't see CH touching them with a barge pole....if he does, credit to him, he's a brave man

I imagine, juding by Alan Connell's track record he would be looking for a large signing on fee, does not seem to be any loyalty with him.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Despite talk of a promotion budget, as a club we are not going to be paying football league wages next season to any player, we are not going, obviously to pay transfer fees either, so some of the players on that list how inviting aren't realistic targets. I have read and listened to everything CH has said these last few weeks, and reading between the lines I'm fully expecting CH to assemble a young squad, that can develop and grow together.

Talk of a promotion budget with the added caveat of "if needed" to me means if the team are there or thereabouts come January then extra money will be made available to try close in on promotion, every thing to me, points towards going backwards before forwards.
Formerly known as forevertufc
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Connell is absolutely useless - we might as well keep HAwley.
sam_
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Angus MacDonald

Post by sam_ »

Connel is offside more than Benyon! Midson would be an amazing signing for the conference, he'd be the closest to Sillsy yet. Cureton wouldn't come, but if he would, then I'd have him. Lee Cox, Sam Deering and Sido Jombati would all be worthwhile signings.
We'll be back...
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

i think it will all depend on who we can get rid of.....
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

SNW is quite right. Until we can ditch the fabled 'in-contract 6' then Hargreaves isn't likely to have much wiggle room in the transfer market. Hopefully it doesn't end up as a mad dash for a signing towards the end of the window...
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

stevegull wrote:SNW is quite right. Until we can ditch the fabled 'in-contract 6' then Hargreaves isn't likely to have much wiggle room in the transfer market. Hopefully it doesn't end up as a mad dash for a signing towards the end of the window...
you mean like "normal" steve......... :@
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

sam_
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Angus MacDonald

Post by sam_ »

yellowsmiffy wrote: Totally agree.

I noticed that financial reasons were behind some of AFC's players released. I haven't followed Midson's progress with them much this season, but has he been playing well? He's a club legend and I couldn't imagine them releasing him unless it was due to financial reasons? If we could get him here he would be perfect. He's always played at small clubs, he scores goals, grafts hard and is a wind up merchant just like Sillsy was and always ruffles some feathers against the oppo. He loves the big games too which helps.
I've always rated him, he got Histon to a play off semi against us. Scored a hattrick for Oxford at Plainmoor a few years ago. Scored numerous crucial goals for AFC, the two that stand out for me would be the penalty to keep them up a couple of years ago, and his header against MK Franchise in the FA Cup
We'll be back...
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Where are we getting these names from? Just trawling the OS of L2 clubs?

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Unfortunately the Exeter released list doesn't look to have any names who could do a job for us, apart from perhaps John O'Flynn but I wouldn't expect him to be cheap.

Parkin (past it), Krysiak (We'd be better off sticking with Ricey), Gow (out of our league I'd have thought) and a couple of kids were minimal experience are the others
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

Jeff wrote:Unfortunately the Exeter released list doesn't look to have any names who could do a job for us, apart from perhaps John O'Flynn but I wouldn't expect him to be cheap.

Parkin (past it), Krysiak (We'd be better off sticking with Ricey), Gow (out of our league I'd have thought) and a couple of kids were minimal experience are the others
I think O'Flynn is a realistic target. At 32, he is quite a bit older than I thought he was and so might be prepared to drop out of the League if say a 2 year deal was on the table + he wouldn't have to uproot. He has always scored on a fairly regular basis when fit, but has suffered quite a bit with injuries during his time at Exeter.

I would love to think we could sign Alan Gow but like you say probably way out of our price range. Interestingly despite joining Bristol Rovers on loan, they haven't offered him anything more than a chance to prove his fitness (he got a bad injury soon after joining them) in pre season. I think Luke Young down at Argyle is perhaps a more realistic target and probably a better fit with Greavsie's desire to build a young team that we can develop and sell on.

I guess a lot will depend on how many of the transfer listed six we can shift and perhaps just as importantly how quickly.
yellowforever
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Our next signing

Post by yellowforever »

ferrarilover wrote:Where are we getting these names from? Just trawling the OS of L2 clubs?

Matt.
Yep pretty much.

The players listed tend to be players who have played for us in the past or a club nearby us in the country. It makes sense though, we're more likely to sign a player released from a club close to us than from far away.
"We are now so far up sh*t creek our boat is actually poking out the end of someones toilet bowl."
Brucie. 27/02/14